Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Any chance of fitting a RPS-400 inside? The width is still shorter than an 80mm fan, and the height is actually less than the 200.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/260/RPS-400-SPEC-1131384.pdf

Yes, the RPS-400 model without enclosure will fit.

The front inside width of the L5 is 86.74 mm without powder coating. The RPS-400-C model with enclosure measures 86.1 mm, so it might or might not fit.

I was able to add one additional hole and piggyback of one for the RPS-200-C to allow for potentially mounting the RPS-200-C, RPS-300-C and RPS-400-C. These will be on the parts I'm expecting at the end of march. This isn't officially supported or tested, so if it doesn't fit don't blame me... but do tell us if it does or doesn't. ;)

For those of you wondering where to mount an AC power inlet connector (eg. C8), one thought I had was that people could use the second expansion slot with a custom slot cover.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
A few new renderings.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
what is the clearance from the motherboard edge to the inside case edge on the PCIe slot side of the motherboard? (i.e. how wide of a GPU can fit in?)

itzBUMP

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 10, 2019
Any chance you can post a pic of the cpu vent location in relation to the 4 mobo screws?

Trying to plan out my build but it looks like the Noctua L12S only fits the case mounted in the wrong orientation for vertical case placement.

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015

Is that exactly what he asked? That is "the clearance from the motherboard edge to the inside case edge on the PCIe slot side of the motherboard"?

Also, I have a question: Why not make the shell symmetrical, meeting right in the middle?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Any chance you can post a pic of the cpu vent location in relation to the 4 mobo screws?

Trying to plan out my build but it looks like the Noctua L12S only fits the case mounted in the wrong orientation for vertical case placement.

This is how I'd recommend orienting the NH-L12S:

Do you have an estimated price or a target price point? Very interested.

My target price is $170 CAD (about $127 USD), including free shipping.

Is that exactly what he asked? That is "the clearance from the motherboard edge to the inside case edge on the PCIe slot side of the motherboard"?

Also, I have a question: Why not make the shell symmetrical, meeting right in the middle?

Yes, that's correct. Please see this post.

The L4 (not L5) originally started out with the panels meeting right in the middle, so that's how I started out with the L5. After trying a few variations this is what I liked the best (and didn't get tired of). One practical benefit to this design is it's easier to work on with only the one side panel off.

Reactions: Metroversal

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Paypal might be preferred by international customers especially.

I've added mounting points for an 80x10 mm fan over the GPU. The intended usage would be with spacers to offset the fan against the GPU heatsink. The only thing this does is save someone from having to figure out how to mount an 80x10 mm fan onto a GPU heatsink. I won't be including spacers or fasteners for this. It's just there for the person who wants to use it.

It looks like you can add mount points two 80mm fans at the bottom including the flanges as mount points, or am I mistaken? Also, why did you say 10mm specifically? If my measurements with my MSI 1050Ti are correct, 15mm fan should fit (albeit barely), given the dimensions.

EDIT: It would help if you can move the MB upwards by 2mm...

Is anyone aware of an 80mm wire grille that's flat? Most have an offset built into them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A7IC7I2/?tag=theminutiae-20

This looks flat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone and smitty2k1

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
It looks like you can add mount points two 80mm fans at the bottom including the flanges as mount points, or am I mistaken? Also, why did you say 10mm specifically? If my measurements with my MSI 1050Ti are correct, 15mm fan should fit (albeit barely), given the dimensions.

EDIT: It would help if you can move the MB upwards by 2mm...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A7IC7I2/?tag=theminutiae-20

This looks flat.

Thanks for the link.

Yes, 80x15 mm should also fit. I specified 80x10 mm as it provides clearance between the fan and the side panel. There's only one mounting point on the bottom flange for an 80 mm fan. The bottom GPU vent is 80 mm wide. There are also three sets of holes at the bottom for 2.5 inch drives (for those not using a GPU). If someone really wanted too, they could mount two 80x10 mm fans directly to the GPU heatsink.

More testing is needed in this area, so it's possible further changes could be made down the road. I'm unsure whether 80 mm fans cooling a LP GPU is the way to go? Much of the fan area doesn't even cover the heatsink.

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty2k1

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the link.

Yes, 80x15 mm should also fit. I specified 80x10 mm as it provides clearance between the fan and the side panel. There's only one mounting point on the bottom flange for an 80 mm fan. The bottom GPU vent is 80 mm wide. There are also three sets of holes at the bottom for 2.5 inch drives (for those not using a GPU). If someone really wanted too, they could mount two 80x10 mm fans directly to the GPU heatsink.

More testing is needed in this area, so it's possible further changes could be made down the road. I'm unsure whether 80 mm fans cooling a LP GPU is the way to go? Much of the fan area doesn't even cover the heatsink.

Yeah I'm still on the fence about using 80x15mm fans to cool my LP 1050 ti. I can't imagine 80x10mm fans would fare much better than the stock fans, especially on the models that already have a pair of fans. I think part of the problem is that the Realan Ei7 case both I and @theGryphon are using really restricts the fan intakes. I think the other part of the problem is that the LP 1050 ti's on the market don't allow good fan control. Most have 2 pin headers, mine has a 3 pin header but fan control doesn't seem to function correctly. I'm trying to pick up the ASUS 1050 ti model that uses a 5-pin header to control two PWM fans to test this theory out a bit better.

TBH, I assumed that the single 50mm fan that came with my Gigabyte 1050 ti was going to be so awful I removed it before even trying it out. I also cut the cable to unsuccessfully make an adapter for my 80mm fans. I've still got the parts to solder it back together so I may do some thermal/noise testing one of these evenings.

I'd definitely be happy to do some testing on the L5 though :) I've got the GPU, a pair of 80x15mm Noiseblocker PWM fans and a pair of 80x15mm Coolermaster 3-pin fans.

Reactions: Lone

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Any thoughts on whether or not I need to accept PayPal? I never have in the past, unless someone requested it.
i should say you should explore it but be familiarize yourself with the buyer protection (since it can be abused by the buyers)

edit: I like to use paypal for buyer protection but if a seller is trusted, I dont mind paying using credit cards. I am not sure on how big Paypal ask for fees but I seen them increased a few times over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone