Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I sent off my revised drawings for updated pricing and leadtime. I've included a side panel design with CPU vent, and bottom GPU vent. I will probably make this the default, and have an optional non-vented side panel. The side panel with CPU vent allows for more flexibility, and allows using the case without any case fans to a point (similar to L4), which is a nice option. Then for greater cooling, or for the non-vented side panel, one can optionally add case fans at the front.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I sent off my revised drawings for updated pricing and leadtime. I've included a side panel design with CPU vent, and bottom GPU vent. I will probably make this the default, and have an optional non-vented side panel. The side panel with CPU vent allows for more flexibility, and allows using the case without any case fans to a point (similar to L4), which is a nice option. Then for greater cooling, or for the non-vented side panel, one can optionally add case fans at the front.

Great to hear there may be GPU vents.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Hi Lone, what does the 48m mean ? L12S is 70mm height

I'll have to clarify and update that.

Note the location of the fan on the NH-L12S. This places the top of the fan at 48 mm or less, and as a result has sufficient clearance between the fan and side panel.

With a vented side panel, that 48 mm could be changed to 58 mm. Actual physical clearance is about 72 mm.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'll have to clarify and update that.

Note the location of the fan on the NH-L12S. This places the top of the fan at 48 mm or less, and as a result has sufficient clearance between the fan and side panel.

With a vented side panel, that 48 mm could be changed to 58 mm. Actual physical clearance is about 72 mm.

Could I get a couple shots of the inside? Don't bother rendering them if it's too much trouble, just screenshot some CAD. I want to do something rather unique, But I need some shots of the inside. Would be very much appreciated!

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
The inside is an empty box. XD Is there a particular angle/area you're interested in?

I'm about to send my purchase order off to my manufacturer. I may not order any non-vented side panels, unless there's more than one person who really wants one. I can't imagine there's anyone who wouldn't buy the L5 because it has a CPU vent on the side panel?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The inside is an empty box. XD Is there a particular angle/area you're interested in?

I'm about to send my purchase order off to my manufacturer. I may not order any non-vented side panels, unless there's more than one person who really wants one. I can't imagine there's anyone who wouldn't buy the L5 because it has a CPU vent on the side panel?

I actually was going to put a thin itx board in it, and then Liquid cool, if possible. Some shots of the inside would help me plan. ( I know it's impractical. I still want to do it. :D )

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Would some measurements be more useful to you?

Inside front width: 86.7mm
Inside front usage height (without fan mount): 206mm
Motherboard to fan mount: 40.4mm
Motherboard to inside front without fan mount: 46.8mm
Motherboard to bottom flange: 30.8mm
Motherboard to bottom side panel: 32.9mm
Motherboard to top flange: 8.1mm
Motherboard to 80x25mm fan: 15mm (subtract 1mm for silicone mounts)

Note: These measurements don't take into account powder coating thickness and other variances in manufacturing.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Would some measurements be more useful to you?

Inside front width: 86.7mm
Inside front height (usable, without fan mounting bracket): 206mm
Motherboard to fan mount: 40.4mm
Motherboard to inside front without fan mount: 46.8mm
Motherboard to bottom of chassis flange: 30.8mm
Motherboard to bottom of side panel: 32.9mm
Motherboard to top of chassis flange: 8.1mm
Motherboard to 80x25 mm fan: 15mm (subtract 1mm for silicone mounts)

Yep, that's all I need! Thanks!

Reactions: Lone

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Lone, if it’s not too much asking can we get some photos of the interior?
Let me clarify rather, not empty but of your build you had in one lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Windfall

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Yes, I will take some more photos when I can. This is how it sits right now. ;)

Note, the next batch has a few changes over the prototype:
  • Rear vent area has been increased
  • Larger motherboard cutout
  • 2x 2.5 inch drive mounts at front of case added
  • Mounting point for Meanwell RPS-200-12 added at front of case
  • Vented side panel added as standard
  • Inside fan mount design changed slightly

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Yes, I will take some more photos when I can. This is how it sits right now. ;)

Note, the next batch has a few changes over the prototype:
  • Rear vent area has been increased
  • Larger motherboard cutout
  • 2x 2.5 inch drive mounts at front of case added
  • Mounting point for Meanwell RPS-200-12 added at front of case
  • Vented side panel added as standard
  • Inside fan mount design changed slightly

Love those thin cables for SFF. I believe I / someone has asked about these wires before.... where can I get those thin cables?

Reactions: Hissitx

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Love those thin cables for SFF. I believe I / someone has asked about these wires before.... where can I get those thin cables?

You'd have to ask @guryhwa from G-Unique where you can get them. They are nice. I just wish there were an easy way to disconnect them when not being used.

Reactions: Nanook

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
are you going to sell versions with the alternative front (visible fan grill)?

Here's a better Idea.

A magnetic modular grill!

Or use the ball stud thing that the cerberus uses?

I would like too, but we'll have to see how this first small batch goes. The perforated pattern took 75% of the votes on my survey. How many of those 25% would only buy it based on the wire fan grille style? Personally, as time has progressed I've become less fond of the fan grille look and grown to like the perforated pattern more. That's just me though.

Is anyone aware of an 80mm wire grille that's flat? Most have an offset built into them.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I would like too, but we'll have to see how this first small batch goes. The perforated pattern took 75% of the votes on my survey. How many of those 25% would only buy it based on the wire fan grille style? Personally, as time has progressed I've become less fond of the fan grille look and grown to like the perforated pattern more. That's just me though.

Is anyone aware of an 80mm wire grille that's flat? Most have an offset built into them.

No, I'm not aware of one.

The appeal with a modular front is that then I can CNC route my own oak front panel, etc.

But it's your case!