Completed Lone Industries L4

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
I'm considering this instead of the s4 mini, as that one is outside my budget. Unfortunately your website doesn't have any example builds. Can this actually fit a dual slot GPU? Also are there any actual pictures of the silver version? Is it anodized aluminum?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I'm considering this instead of the s4 mini, as that one is outside my budget. Unfortunately your website doesn't have any example builds. Can this actually fit a dual slot GPU? Also are there any actual pictures of the silver version? Is it anodized aluminum?

The L4 supports dual slot low profile (aka half height) cards, whereas the S4 Mini supports dual slot standard height cards. Just want to make sure that wasn't overlooked. There aren't really any build photos except mine at the moment. There's a few photos from myself and others a few pages or more back. It is anodized aluminum. The silver is nice. It tends to take on color hues from surrounding furniture, walls, lighting, etc.

While the website only shows one silver being available now, I might have an extra black or silver available depending on any cancellations, etc.

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
Thank you for your prompt reply and apologies for not searching this thread more thoroughly as this info has probably been mentioned here. Dual low profile is unfortunately too limiting for me, I'd at least need dual slot standard height to keep my options open. Kudos to you for making a nice looking case and for a affordable price at that.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Update:

My parts were cut with a protective coating on one side which needs to be removed and cleaned prior to anodizing. My anodizer felt this was best done by me to ensure the best quality, so I've agreed to have the parts sent to me so that I can do this prior to anodizing. I had a feeling I should have done this by default, so unfortunately now we have to deal with another delay. The good thing is that my anodizer is looking out for my best interests, and that I'll be able to review the unfinished parts, and correct any issues prior to anodizing. I apologize for the added delay.

Reactions: xcrco

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Not sure if this has been asked - if I was to pre-order, would I be notified before my card is charged? (Debit mastercard). I have a tax refund coming that I'd like to buy something nice for myself with.

Also, how would the anodizing take paint? ;)

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Not sure if this has been asked - if I was to pre-order, would I be notified before my card is charged? (Debit mastercard). I have a tax refund coming that I'd like to buy something nice for myself with.

Also, how would the anodizing take paint? ;)

If you add a note on your order I can remember to contact you prior to charging your card. I could have it bronze anodized for you. It's not cheap though.

If you're going to paint/powder coat it, I can also sell you an unfinished one if you like.

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
[...]

I made a minor change to the cross braces (see image below), allowing a 120mm or 140mm fan (using M3 screws), or a 2.5" drive (for desperate situations). I don't recommend mounting fans to them, but that doesn't mean you can't, or that someone won't find a use for them.

[...]

What is the distance between the 2 cross braces?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
If it doesn't have some crazy clear coat on it, anodization doubles as a really good primer.

This.

Anodizing does not require etching primers, blasting, or anything. Just clean it and you are ready to rock and roll.

I will note that you can boil seal anodizing which makes the finish much smoother and lowers it's grippyness, but I have found that powder adheres very well.

Personally I prefer sealed anodized parts as non-sealed anodized parts give me that chaulk-board feeling.

Looking forward to holding an L4 in my hands, Lone!!!!

Reactions: Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I got all the parts unboxed, protective coating removed, and inspected. Some of the parts have what appears to be water stains. Before I anodize them all, I need to find out if the acid etch process will remove this or not. If not, I'll have to try resurfacing the parts.

Worst case scenario, I send separate small batches to the anodizer, and ship out to customers as I get them back. Even worse case scenario, I get parts powder coated.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I got all the parts unboxed, protective coating removed, and inspected. Some of the parts have what appears to be water stains. Before I anodize them all, I need to find out if the acid etch process will remove this or not. If not, I'll have to try resurfacing the parts.

Worst case scenario, I send separate small batches to the anodizer, and ship out to customers as I get them back. Even worse case scenario, I get parts powder coated.

I think I know what you are describing. When I had those on R2 I panicked, because rubbing alchohol wouldn't get rid of them. Couldn't figure out what to do, but later I found that standard dish soap and a sponge removed them 100%.

Hopefully these are the same kind of stains!

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I think I know what you are describing. When I had those on R2 I panicked, because rubbing alchohol wouldn't get rid of them. Couldn't figure out what to do, but later I found that standard dish soap and a sponge removed them 100%.

Hopefully these are the same kind of stains!

Thanks for the tip Josh! I'll give that a try. :) I have a feeling the acid etch process will remove them also, but I just don't want to take any risks.

EDIT: Dish soap didn't work unfortunately. I'm going to send a small batch to the anodizer on Monday to test out. Most frustrating part is how drawn out the whole process is. What should only take days or weeks, has taken months.

Last edited:

DavidB

What's an ITX?
Jun 26, 2017
Hey Lone
Just stumbled upon your cases today (was someone at reddit that pointed you in my direction).
Every case seems to be sold out. Do you plan on getting more in stock? Do you ship to EU?
Best regards
David

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Hi David,
I may have extras available once I ship all existing orders. I do ship to the EU. I'll add you to my list of people to contact should I have extras.

blackhaus99

Chassis Packer
Jun 27, 2017
I am also interested in getting one of the L4 cases. Can you please add me to your list? Thanks

My work involves a lot of data analysis so I'm looking to put together the smallest ryzen 7 1700 based system I can. This will speed my work with large Excel workbooks and tableau.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@blackhaus99 Added.

Update:

Should have my first small batch of ten back from the anodizer by the end of the week. Initial reports from the anodizer yesterday were positive. If the finished parts are good, then I can finally start shipping again.

Reactions: K888D