Completed Lone Industries L4

raksan

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2017
Thank you for your recommendation, I have check out that case but I'm not so into it. It'd be fine for me to pay those shipping fee even without tracking. I've bought many thing from china and I've never lost any item. Too bad, I love the shape of your case very much, maybe you could declare it as a gift?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Well you can't just defraud your government. US customs at least tends to be incredibly unforgiving of that.

Reactions: raksan

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Thank you for your recommendation, I have check out that case but I'm not so into it. It'd be fine for me to pay those shipping fee even without tracking. I've bought many thing from china and I've never lost any item. Too bad, I love the shape of your case very much, maybe you could declare it as a gift?

I can't do that. On my side there's just additional documentation I'd need to provide. On your side, it appears there's a customs procedure. Have you ever had to do this (see "Customs Procedure" at bottom of link)?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Yeah, skateboarding was my life as a kid and I have some pretty strong nostalgia for it. Those old Powell videos are classics.

Thanks for the links to the PCI slot covers - those may work. If you do have some made for later batches, it would be nice to have the option to order them on your site, especially if you make some in black.

+1 on the PCI slot covers, would be rad for the two L4's I've ordered.

PCI Slot Covers are planned to be in the next batch, and will be black. Just not sure about pricing yet. I'd like to just include them if I can, as it's just easier that way. :)

Reactions: Biowarejak

raksan

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2017
I can't do that. On my side there's just additional documentation I'd need to provide. On your side, it appears there's a customs procedure. Have you ever had to do this (see "Customs Procedure" at bottom of link)?

Yes, I once have to open my package in front of the custom. It was a toys rc car worth 100usd. But when the custom see it's just a toys they let me have it without paying any tax or duty. Well, with your case, if the custom see that I will have to pay 10%-20% over the case price it's also doable.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Quick update.

Punch programming has been completed with my manufacturer.

I made a minor change to the cross braces (see image below), allowing a 120mm or 140mm fan (using M3 screws), or a 2.5" drive (for desperate situations). I don't recommend mounting fans to them, but that doesn't mean you can't, or that someone won't find a use for them.

Also, the 2.5" drive bracket always seems to cause a little confusion for people initially. Here's a rendering showing how I like to use the L4 2.5" drive bracket, which also doubles for cable management (also shown in my build):

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
any consideration of mounting hdd and/or the ssd on the panels?

The cover slides on/off the chassis, so you can't mount anything to it. It is possible to mount a 2.5" drive in non-standard mounting locations in the L4:
  1. Perpendicular to the front, instead of parallel to the front
  2. At the bottom of the chassis (if you're not using a dual slot GPU)
  3. To one of the braces, partially obstructing the CPU cooler/vent
  4. Partially behind the motherboard at the front of the case

Using HDplex?

HDPLEX products may be used, more or less. They aren't my first recommendation because their usage isn't without caveats:
  1. HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX + external AC-DC adapter
    • May not be able to mount all four 2.5" drives to bracket in standard location
  2. HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX + 80W AC-DC
    • Can't mount 2.5" drives in standard location
    • You must mount 80W AC-DC using double sided thermal tape or other means
  3. HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX + 160W AC-DC
    • Can't mount 2.5" drives in standard location
    • You must mount 160W AC-DC using double sided thermal tape or other means
    • May not fit due to 160W DC-ATX overhang
    • Will not fit without relocating 160W DC-ATX using 24pin harness (see image below)

The new HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX is more compact than the last one, so that was a welcome change. Maybe once I get @Josh | NFC an L4 he will be able to test some of these HDPLEX products configurations.

Thanks to @Aibohphobia for the CAD model of the 160W DC-ATX and AC-DC.

side mounting a slim disc drive option?

A slim optical drive would block the CPU cooler/vent, or partially. It's possible though. I personally like to use an external USB slim optical drive, for those rare times I need it.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Went to check the website to see if pre-orders were still going and the Lets Encrypt cert on the website is having issues :(:(

Try https://loneindustries.com for now. Must've forgot to add www.loneindustries.com to the renewal. Should be fixed now.

Pre-orders are currently closed. I might have extra stock in June in order to fulfill orders with. If not, I will accept pre-orders again at a later date. My main concern in continuing to accept pre-orders is getting too far behind, or being unable to make estimated ship dates.

Last edited:

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Try https://loneindustries.com for now. Must've forgot to add www.loneindustries.com to the renewal. Should be fixed now.

Pre-orders are currently closed. I might have extra stock in June in order to fulfill orders with. If not, I will accept pre-orders again at a later date. My main concern in continuing to accept pre-orders is getting too far behind, or being unable to make estimated ship dates.

Totally understood. I suppose if there is extra stock in June your loyal subjects will be notified here?

Thanks for fixing the SAN on the cert so quickly! I can't be the only one who browses these amazing creators sites and drooling over their works of art.

Reactions: Lone and Biowarejak

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Totally understood. I suppose if there is extra stock in June your loyal subjects will be notified here?

Thanks for fixing the SAN on the cert so quickly! I can't be the only one who browses these amazing creators sites and drooling over their works of art.

Yes, I will post here for sure. :)

Unfinished parts should be done in two weeks.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
With the start of the L4 some (or more likely everyone) will be happy to know that I've switched back to phillips head fasteners. I ended up going back to the company I used for the L1 fasteners. The fasteners themselves aren't made in the USA, but the black oxide finish is done in the USA, and is the darkest I've been able to find.

Last edited:

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Very nice, would be interesting to see what it'd be like with the surround bit black and the front panel coloured?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Very nice, would be interesting to see what it'd be like with the surround bit black and the front panel coloured?

Is there a particular colour you'd like to see a rendering of? I should have at least one Black (cover) / Silver (inside) available in June, despite not being a pre-order option.

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Is there a particular colour you'd like to see a rendering of? I should have at least one Black (cover) / Silver (inside) available in June, despite not being a pre-order option.
It'd be quite interesting to see a blue inside with a black outside would look like. I'd also be curious as to what a white inside part on this would look like, although I don't know if you can get a very white colour with anodising?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
It'd be quite interesting to see a blue inside with a black outside would look like. I'd also be curious as to what a white inside part on this would look like, although I don't know if you can get a very white colour with anodising?
Yeah... White and anodizing really don't go together.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
With the start of the L4 some (or more likely everyone) will be happy to know that I've switched back to phillips head fasteners. I ended up going back to the company I used for the L1 fasteners. The fasteners themselves aren't made in the USA, but the black oxide finish is done in the USA, and is the darkest I've been able to find.

Not me! Robertson or Hex. Never Phillips. :cool:

I'll agree from a general appeal/standpoint, going with the Phillips is the right call. OH WELL!