Completed Lone Industries L4

blackhaus99

Chassis Packer
Jun 27, 2017
@blackhaus99 Added.

Update:

Should have my first small batch of ten back from the anodizer by the end of the week. Initial reports from the anodizer yesterday were positive. If the finished parts are good, then I can finally start shipping again.

That's great. Will these parts fit inside:
1. Gigabyte Geforce 1030 Silence Low Profile which measures 6.89" x 2.71".
2. Ryzen 7 1700 with the Standard Wraith Spire cooler. Will I need a cooler with a lower profile?
3. HDPlex 300w AC-DC
4. Biostar X370 AM4 Mini ITX (unfortunately still the only M-ITX AM4 board available)

I'm not a gamer so the weak GPU doesn't impact me.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Good news then. But I guess I have to wait a little longer since my order is #18.

Yes, unfortunately you and others will have to wait a little longer. But, those who are getting their orders fulfilled first have been waiting even longer!

Once I have confirmed the anodizing is good, then I can get the rest of the parts sent off to the anodizer. I'd estimate 2-3 weeks before the remainder ship, assuming everything goes well.

Should have an update by the end of the week once I get the anodized parts back.

That's great. Will these parts fit inside:
1. Gigabyte Geforce 1030 Silence Low Profile which measures 6.89" x 2.71".
2. Ryzen 7 1700 with the Standard Wraith Spire cooler. Will I need a cooler with a lower profile?
3. HDPlex 300w AC-DC
4. Biostar X370 AM4 Mini ITX (unfortunately still the only M-ITX AM4 board available)

I'm not a gamer so the weak GPU doesn't impact me.

#3 will likely not work (what DC-DC would you use it with?). Consider using an external AC adapter, or a 12V Meanwell AC-DC. Everything else is good.

Reactions: raksan

blackhaus99

Chassis Packer
Jun 27, 2017
Yes, unfortunately you and others will have to wait a little longer. But, those who are getting their orders fulfilled first have been waiting even longer!

Once I have confirmed the anodizing is good, then I can get the rest of the parts sent off to the anodizer. I'd estimate 2-3 weeks before the remainder ship, assuming everything goes well.

Should have an update by the end of the week once I get the anodized parts back.

#3 will likely not work (what DC-DC would you use it with?). Consider using an external AC adapter, or a 12V Meanwell AC-DC. Everything else is good.

Sorry I think my description for #3 is wrong. Here's the link to what I was thinking

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Internal-300W-AC-DC-Adapter-with-Active-PFC-and-19VDC-Output.html

I was planning on pairing this with an Alienware 330 watt external adapter I found on newegg

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...6ijes-JBatB5yS2fujwsAaAgW78P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Those are both technically AC-DC adapters. You would need a DC-ATX (aka DC-DC) converter and an AC-DC adapter (aka AC adapter/brick). The HDPLEX 300W AC-DC is basically an internal AC adapter, and is typically used with the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX. That combination won't fit in the L4. It might be possible to relocate the 160W DC-ATX using a 24pin wiring harness, but this is untested and may not work.

You could combine the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX with the external Alienware AC-DC adapter you found though. I would personally recommend a G-Unique DC-ATX.

blackhaus99

Chassis Packer
Jun 27, 2017
Those are both technically AC-DC adapters. You would need a DC-ATX (aka DC-DC) converter and an AC-DC adapter (aka AC adapter/brick). The HDPLEX 300W AC-DC is basically an internal AC adapter, and is typically used with the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX. That combination won't fit in the L4. It might be possible to relocate the 160W DC-ATX using a 24pin wiring harness, but this is untested and may not work.

You could combine the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX with the external Alienware AC-DC adapter you found though. I would personally recommend a G-Unique DC-ATX.

So the HDPLEX 300W DC-ATX will fit inside the case? It is 6"x2.5"x1.6"

I'm going to go with the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX as that will provide enough juice for this rig and pair it with an HP 230W power brick I learned about on tekeverything. I'm new to this style of PC building so it's taken me some research to figure out all the electrical elements. Thanks for your help.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
So the HDPLEX 300W DC-ATX will fit inside the case? It is 6"x2.5"x1.6"

The 300W DC-ATX will only fit at the front, in place of the 2.5 inch drives. Must be mounted with double sided adhesive or adhesive velcro.

I'm going to go with the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX as that will provide enough juice for this rig and pair it with an HP 230W power brick I learned about on tekeverything. I'm new to this style of PC building so it's taken me some research to figure out all the electrical elements. Thanks for your help.

Sounds good!

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Assembly has begun!

Attaching braces to chassis:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I'm not completely happy with the protective vinyl pieces I had made (which make removing the cover smoother and quieter), so I'll be having new pieces made next week that are designed a little differently. Spent the morning individually tweaking the fit of each cover. Also, got the parts bags ready to go. I'm also wondering if I should design a case badge for the back, or just have something more hidden and only visible with the cover off?

I really appreciate everyone who is patiently waiting for their case to ship. I plan to have this batch of ten ten cases shipped by July 8 (order numbers up to 613). I also plan to get the remainder of the parts sent off to the anodizer next week (done). Due to holidays, nothing will be shipped until July 5 at the earliest.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Hey Lone,
Are you gonna provide brackets for mounting a Meanwell PSU ?

Hi. I don't have plans at the moment to provide brackets for the Meanwell. I can probably post some bracket designs. The Meanwell RPS models (e.g. RPS-200-12) which already have an enclosure would be the simplest to mount.

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
Hi. I don't have plans at the moment to provide brackets for the Meanwell. I can probably post some bracket designs. The Meanwell RPS models (e.g. RPS-200-12) which already have an enclosure would be the simplest to mount.

Sorry if this has been answered already in some other place, but RPS-300-12, which I believe also comes with an enclosure, can fit the case with picoPSU?

raksan

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2017
The rps-300-12-c (with enclosure) has the same size as 400w version i have. I don't have the case to test yet, i imagine it will fit but i will have to reallocate the place for ssd or just use m.2. And if the pico psu you're talking about receive 12v, then you will be able to pair it. I have picobox z2-atx-200.

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
Thanks for response, and yes, I will note about the space needed for 2.5 inch SSD.
I use minibox's 160w pico PSU, so it receives 12v.
But, whether it's rps-200 or rps-300, reallocation of 2.5 inch SSD needs to take place?

jrd

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 19, 2017

Yeah that would be cool. Thanks !

raksan

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2017
whether it's rps-200 or rps-300, reallocation of 2.5 inch SSD needs to take place?

Last time @Lone told me that there's 46mm from edge of mobo to front of case available. So neither rps-200-c (40mm height) nor rps-300-c (43mm) could stack there with a 7mm thick ssd. However, I still think the case has enough room to fit ssd elsewhere.