Completed Lone Industries L4

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Or a 19V DC board from HDPLEX. Paired with a cheap HD 240W AC adapter you should be good to go.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Yes, HDPLEX is another option worth considering. However, any potential L4 customers need to be aware that the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX has a significantly larger footprint than other 12V plugin DC boards.

jrd

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 19, 2017
Hey love the case ! Are there gonna be any other colours besides the two featured on your website? maybe all silver ?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Hey love the case ! Are there gonna be any other colours besides the two featured on your website? maybe all silver ?

Thanks. I would like to offer other colours, but right now it's not a high priority (but something I do think about). All silver is a possibility.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I am working towards accepting pre-orders this month. I will also have my new anodized parts by the end of this week, for the pre-production samples I currently have in hand. Unfortunately I've been extremely busy for the past couple months at work, so I just haven't had much time or energy to put towards Lone Industries.

Today I confirmed fit of the MSI GTX 1050 LP. The MSI fans are not exactly quiet (no surprise). I'd like to try replacing the fans eventually.

I was also able to test an NH-L9x65 for the first time. Using Prime95 it was able to keep my i5-6500 at 65*C where the NH-L9i was 70*C. The downside to the NH-L9x65 is that the fan is about 6-7 mm away from the inside of the vent which made it a little more noisy than the NH-L9i in the L4 (disclaimer: I value silence above performance). I'll be sticking with the NH-L9i, but I believe a CPU cooler <= 60 mm in height, with a 120 mm fan would also be excellent for those needing greater cooling than the NH-L9i can provide.

raymondo

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2015
Wow, that looks great - can't wait for final pics! Are you using the HDplex PSU or which one is it?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It is a good day when Lone updates us on his thread.

I had a low profile 750Ti that uses the same kind of cooler, and the fans indeed sound buzzy. Will you be going with 92mm fans below? Wait, is that even a size that fits in the case?

Seeing that system makes me want to put a massive 140mm fan on the CPU though. A Cryorig C1 would look so good!.Or a Phanteks PH-TC12LS with a bigger fan swap.

Reactions: janas19

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
I was also able to test an NH-L9x65 for the first time. Using Prime95 it was able to keep my i5-6500 at 65*C where the NH-L9i was 70*C. The downside to the NH-L9x65 is that the fan is about 6-7 mm away from the inside of the vent which made it a little more noisy than the NH-L9i in the L4 (disclaimer: I value silence above performance).

But doesn't that mean you can use a lower fan speed with L9x65, to get the same cooling performance as the L9i, and hence quieter overall?

By the way is the price finalised yet?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
It is a good day when Lone updates us on his thread.

I had a low profile 750Ti that uses the same kind of cooler, and the fans indeed sound buzzy. Will you be going with 92mm fans below? Wait, is that even a size that fits in the case?

I'll have to use 80mm or smaller. I should first try to get the stock fans to spin slower and see how that sounds.

But doesn't that mean you can use a lower fan speed with L9x65, to get the same cooling performance as the L9i, and hence quieter overall?

By the way is the price finalised yet?

Yes, that's true. Don't get me wrong, the NH-L9x65 is still very quiet. I just thought it was important to note for silent enthusiasts. 65-66 mm is the highest CPU cooler you'd want to use (with a fan on top), but 60 mm would be best.

I'm having a hard time deciding on a final price. I don't want to be too high, and I don't want to be too low that it doesn't make sense to do this anymore.

I am working on pricing around $119-126 USD ($159-169 CAD) with free shipping (worldwide). In addition, any better non-free shipping methods will also be discounted (around $25-30 CAD).

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
One of the remaining items I have to test is the 120 mm fan mount on the lower brace (next to expansion slot). I'm just waiting for my slim 120mm fan to arrive (received).

I was also able to confirm that a 7 mm SSD will fit partially behind the motherboard (at the front of the case, below the DIMM slots), but it's really close and not really recommended. I'll try to get a photo at some point. You'd have to figure out a way to fasten it there though without raising it much. Maybe a couple tiny pieces of 3M thermal transfer adhesive so-as not to permanently fix the SSD there for ever. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Mounting points for Meanwell PSU would be provided in the form of an optional add-on bracket, which only exists in my mind right now. :)

It would mount off the two holes at the front where I have my SSD mounted (76.6 mm spacing, 6.4mm from hole center to inside front surface of case).

Last edited:
Reactions: janas19

tomternal

Cable Smoosher
Apr 28, 2016
I am working towards accepting pre-orders this month. I will also have my new anodized parts by the end of this week, for the pre-production samples I currently have in hand. Unfortunately I've been extremely busy for the past couple months at work, so I just haven't had much time or energy to put towards Lone Industries.

Today I confirmed fit of the MSI GTX 1050 LP. The MSI fans are not exactly quiet (no surprise). I'd like to try replacing the fans eventually.

I was also able to test an NH-L9x65 for the first time. Using Prime95 it was able to keep my i5-6500 at 65*C where the NH-L9i was 70*C. The downside to the NH-L9x65 is that the fan is about 6-7 mm away from the inside of the vent which made it a little more noisy than the NH-L9i in the L4 (disclaimer: I value silence above performance). I'll be sticking with the NH-L9i, but I believe a CPU cooler <= 60 mm in height, with a 120 mm fan would also be excellent for those needing greater cooling than the NH-L9i can provide.

Is that the NH-L9x65 cooler with a different fan? It looks much better than the standard noctua color scheme x.x

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
For those who don't mind pre-production units with minor imperfections, I will probably start selling some of my all black pre-production units at a reduced price in the near future.

Could these "imperfect" units be polished or blasted, and reanodized to be blem free or do they have dents/bends, etc.?

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
The main issue with the L4 pre-production units is the two outside panels were anodized on two different dates and don't match 100%. This is typical of anodizing and I should've known better to think my anodizer could match them. I imagine most people would never notice. The one I'm using at work sitting upright next to my monitor isn't noticeable.

I have a sent a set of these to an anodizer to strip and re-anodize at the same time to see how that works (also to just try out a new anodizer). You could certainly strip the parts and re-anodize, or refinish them if you like. Anodizers will sometimes charge a fee to strip parts though, so you may want to confirm.