Completed Lone Industries L4

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm still working on pricing, but I estimate about $115 USD. It's tempting to increase the cost slightly to make shipping appear less. In the past I wanted to be transparent and show actual shipping costs, but shipping is such a turn off.

Yes, this is a big decision.

On the one hand we both value transparency, and so do our customers. But if you think about it, if you make the cost $200 but offer free shipping, this can help customers because the value of their their chassis matches the value of their payment.

Example: If a customer buys a chassis for $100 then pays $100 to ship it across the globe, they have spent $200. If they resell the chassis, it has a perceived value of $100, not $200. Obviously I am simplifying this but I think the base principle is true.

I have really thought about doing this for a future case.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Excellent example Josh, thank you. I will look into this further and see if I can't work something out. I've wanted to keep the case somewhat affordable to Canadian customers, but maybe I can find some middle ground. If I can't provide 100% free shipping to all locations at least it will help make the more expensive/reliable shipping options more affordable (so to speak).

Reactions: ricochet

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Example: If a customer buys a chassis for $100 then pays $100 to ship it across the globe, they have spent $200. If they resell the chassis, it has a perceived value of $100, not $200. Obviously I am simplifying this but I think the base principle is true.

I try to be logical and aware of my biases, but I have to admit I still find myself falling prey to this value perception issue.

So I agree, I think "subsidizing" shipping with a slight increase in the case cost would make customers feel better about the purchase.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I try to be logical and aware of my biases, but I have to admit I still find myself falling prey to this value perception issue.

So I agree, I think "subsidizing" shipping with a slight increase in the case cost would make customers feel better about the purchase.

Right--there is a value perception we can fight and making customers feel better is VERY valuable. I also think it fights depreciation. I paid something like $400 to import my DIMASTECH test bench. I'm going to put it up for sale in our forums. If it had cost $400 and shipping was "free" I could get alot more than what I am going to get for it...

Reactions: ricochet and Kwirek

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
Sorry for my ignorance, but why the high shipping cost [from China]? I assume these cases are manufactured in China. I know the Chinese government subsidizes cargo shipments to the US, that's why I can buy Chinese goods on eBay for $1 shipped.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Sorry for my ignorance, but why the high shipping cost [from China]? I assume these cases are manufactured in China. I know the Chinese government subsidizes cargo shipments to the US, that's why I can buy Chinese goods on eBay for $1 shipped.

No problem, sorry for the confusion. If you're referring to the $100 shipping that Josh | NFC mentioned, it was just an example. I can ship for much less.

Reactions: ricochet

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
I'm still working on pricing, but I estimate about $115 USD. It's tempting to increase the cost slightly to make shipping appear less. In the past I wanted to be transparent and show actual shipping costs, but shipping is such a turn off.

I agree - Adding the thing to my cart, then seeing a huge shipping charge is always a big bummer.

Reactions: Lone and cmyk78

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Well, some bad news. The machinist I was going to use to create some blind holes, increased the price from $3/part to $30/part, so the parts are on hold while I look for another option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Someone misplace a decimal in the quoting software? Been there, done that with two different companies :p

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Apparently my machinist can't guarantee a price. If things "go well" then it would be $3/ea + $100 setup, but if not, then it could be 2-3 times that amount. Not sure I can live with that.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ouch, that's quite a price difference for what should be a simple operation.

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
James - thanks for working so hard to get this to market.

Had a future looking question - Any thoughts on the new STX format? Any opportunity for an even smaller Lone case to take advantage with the same beautiful aesthetic?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
James - thanks for working so hard to get this to market.

Had a future looking question - Any thoughts on the new STX format? Any opportunity for an even smaller Lone case to take advantage with the same beautiful aesthetic?

Thanks. I seem to be doing a lot of waiting as opposed to working. ;)

I would mostly echo what others have said about Mini STX. I have thought about making a Mini STX version of the L4, but it's not very compelling at the moment.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I really don't know. I think part of the whole China is cheaper mentality is that most of what you see that's inexpensive and made in China is produced in large quantity. I would also have to pay in USD, which is a disadvantage given the current exchange rate. I could be wrong, but I believe NCASE for example, used Lian Li because of their experience and manufacturing capability. China does have some great manufacturing capabilities, which can translate into a price advantage.

Reactions: owliwar and Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Not only that, but finding and vetting a factory, and holding them to the agreed upon QC standards usually requires visiting China in person.

Reactions: Phuncz and Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

Another thought I've had is to create a Mini STX "option" for the L4, which would just be an alternative chassis, that could be sold separately or as a new model. With all the extra space I could add support for larger internal PSU, and maybe a hamster wheel. ;)

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
Another thought I've had is to create a Mini STX "option" for the L4, which would just be an alternative chassis, that could be sold separately or as a new model. With all the extra space I could add support for larger internal PSU, and maybe a hamster wheel. ;)

I could be down with that - I am very anti-brick :) I'm also loving how the STX boards are getting power through a DC jack on the rear - No more bulky PSU cables or pico units. Of course, if we move the AC/DC PSU internally, we'd have to do a little modding/soldering for the power delivery, but nothing too bad at all. Maybe a pass through "jumper" on the rear re-using the original input jack for an output jack that jumps to the board's input instead.

It could also be a good basis for a strong HTPC mini-server with more room for cooling/storage. I'm getting excited now....

Reactions: Lone