Completed Lone Industries L4

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
So for the pre-production units you only have the black frames.. hmm that means the front of the case will be black but I will prefer an all silver exterior.

Ahh, I didn't know those units ship out that quickly! I won't be able to buy until at least the end of this month. Guess I'll have to wait for the official run of these cases then, huh.

If you want silver, I would recommend pre-ordering to reserve one for yourself.

While probably not of interest to many, I can offer a custom colour option for an extra $65 (the min fee I am charged for colours).

Hey, @Lone, does the L4 fit a NH-L12 heatsink (botton fan only)?

Yes, the NH-L12 will fit in single bottom fan mode.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
@Lone I see you are using the G-Unique PSU in your case. I'm thinking about ordering one. You didn't have to use any custom cables, did you? It's just standard G-Unique lengths?

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
For those guys who got the product early take some pics, we want to see more of this mini beauty!

Reactions: Lone

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
Do we have an exploded view of the parts/panels? They fit so well together I can't really tell where one part ends and one starts from the pics.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Does this help?

Teamocil

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2017
Ordered one to play around with. May transplant my Lian-Li Q16b into this case (Thin mini-itx intel DQ77KB, i3-3225) and make it a tiny 2.5" ssd server or DVR.

Another thought I've had is to create a Mini STX "option" for the L4, which would just be an alternative chassis, that could be sold separately or as a new model. With all the extra space I could add support for larger internal PSU, and maybe a hamster wheel. ;)

Have been on the fence to build a mini-stx unit but the only case i've found was SilverStone VT-01 which only allows a 34mm height cooler... Need more height to allow for a virtually silent CPU cooler solution. If there was a quality case with support for a NH-L9x65 i would buy it on the spot for a nice i3-7320, ASUS Q170s1 build. I don't mind the smaller external bricks for <100 watt solutions but 150W + they can be a bit too big.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Ordered one to play around with. May transplant my Lian-Li Q16b into this case (Thin mini-itx intel DQ77KB, i3-3225) and make it a tiny 2.5" ssd server or DVR.

Thank you! Hope you love it (once you eventually get it).

Have been on the fence to build a mini-stx unit but the only case i've found was SilverStone VT-01 which only allows a 34mm height cooler... Need more height to allow for a virtually silent CPU cooler solution. If there was a quality case with support for a NH-L9x65 i would buy it on the spot for a nice i3-7320, ASUS Q170s1 build. I don't mind the smaller external bricks for <100 watt solutions but 150W + they can be a bit too big.

Besides cooler support, do you see any other advantages to using a Mini-STX motherboard in an L4 size case, versus a Mini-ITX one?

RobonHood

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2016
Besides cooler support, do you see any other advantages to using a Mini-STX motherboard in an L4 size case, versus a Mini-ITX one?[/QUOTE]

In my case I think the benefit would be front panel support after some modding. Which unfortunately the L4 doesn't have. outside of that nothing else would really make sense.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
As mini STX boards are only 5.8 inches at their longest length, the front ports won't reach the front of the L4 case. You'd have to heavily mod the case to make it shorter, or figure out how you'll extend the ports. Would probably need a couple of short cable extensions for that.

Teamocil

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2017
Besides cooler support, do you see any other advantages to using a Mini-STX motherboard in an L4 size case, versus a Mini-ITX one?
mini-stx would need it's own unique case to match the smaller footprint and you would be better off sticking to a thin/mini-itx solution for the L4 case as the smaller size mini-stx doesn't get you anything extra in case like this plus there is very limited motherboard connections on a mini-stx..

I think there is strong potential in the mini-stx realm, especially if AMD releases a good quality APU solution later this year.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Hopefully Mini-STX has received enough support to stay around a little while.

I'm almost finished preparing my next L4 production order. I had a nice long phone call with my anodizer about the issues I had last time. They were upfront about the issues I experienced, and feel it was due to new staff, which were needed because of being so busy. I still think they do really good work. There is really only one other place that I would consider trying (I've exhausted all other options).

If someone really wants a custom colour, I could have it done. There is a minimum fee of $68 CAD for each colour, which I would have to charge up front. Since I'm already doing black and silver, there is no extra charge for those.

I found this photo from when I got my first batch of L4 parts from the anodizer. Sad day when I realized the colours were wrong (the black filler panel should have been silver). I like the contrasting colours though:

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Those who ordered the L4 pre-production models are starting to receive them. I'm not sure if any of them are on the forum. Hopefully I'll receive some feedback. I've been using Canada Post exclusively (delivered by USPS in the USA). I've noticed packages are first going West to Richmond, B.C before entering the USA, even for shipments destined for the East.

Reactions: Josh | NFC