Lian Li/DAN A3-mATX

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Will 140-150mm tall GPUs with 12VHPWR connectors fit in the A3 mATX in vertical GPU mode with the motherboard flipped like that?

The product photos make it look like most non-FE 4080 / 4090 cards (140-150mm height) won't have enough height clearance either at the bottom of the case with the GPU mounted vertically or at the top of the case with the GPU mounted horizontally.

One of the biggest opportunities of this design appears to be accommodating massive GPUs in a reasonably portable footprint. It looks like it'd be easy to adjust the design slightly to accommodate even the largest 4080 / 4090 cards - 360mm length x 198mm height (163 + 35mm for 12VHPWR) x 80mm width (4 slots).

Last edited:

Clientele Services

Caliper Novice
Oct 12, 2022
@dondan - Amazing work. When the case is ready - ready -, then release. I like the looks of them all. Each version of the cases you designed has there uniqueness. When you hit the go button, then we can rock and roll. I am looking at this for a couple of reasons, but I am more than happy to wait for the final rollout.

Thank you so much! I will keep watching!

Last edited:

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Hi, Dan. Some thoughts / ideas / feedback:

1. This is a very attractive design – nice work.

2. Thank you for placing mesh on the top and providing an optimal path for exhaust. That is arguably where mesh is needed most! Many other mesh-heavy designs fail to get this right.

3. Regarding top or bottom placement of the front IO ports: I imagine that preferences will vary widely, especially depending on case placement (on or under desk). Allowing for a rotatable front panel would seem to please most users.

4. The power socket placement is unfortunate. I think I understand why it serves the current design, but the top corner is both aesthetically and functionally sub-optimal. It leaves a sole cable – the largest cable – protruding from the top and dangling down directly in the path of the motherboard IO. Have you considered routing the internal cable downward and exposing the socket through the center of the raised base?

Last edited:
Reactions: Funky

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
Mesh => Dust

What can be done to keep dust out?
I use fan filters. So, if most of your air is coming in through fans and fan filters, and you have more fans coming in than going out, Non filtered areas should not allow much air into the case. Works for me anyway on my mechanic master C28 Pulse.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
4. The power socket placement is unfortunate. I think I understand why it serves the current design, but the top corner is both aesthetically and functionally sub-optimal. It leaves a sole cable – the largest cable – protruding from the top and dangling down directly in the path of the motherboard IO. Have you considered routing the internal cable downward and exposing the socket through the center of the raised base?

When I saw the newest render I was stoked. Clean, symmetric, and finally a good power socket placement -- in the top corner, out of the way. Compare to e.g. Asus AP201, which has the same placement (though rotated 90% which I also prefer). So, I hope it stays there in the corner. As I actually own and use the AP201, I can't see how the power coord can interfere with the motherboard IO.

Another plus is that there are no vertical pcie-slots that mess up the back part impression of the case. If vertical GPU was to be supported, I would vote for having the entire back plate of the case user-replaceable, like on the O11 mini. But in general, I am tired of pcie-risers.

And I don't know if a radiator or only fans fits at the top, but that is where I would put a radiator as well, and where I think it belongs. Fresh air from the bottom or font, and exhause at the top.

adeshprasad

Case Bender
New User
Sep 4, 2022
....so... if you move the power supply/bracket down a little (towards the center), there is room for a Bay - 3.5 or maybe 5" above it.. if not exiting from the front, then can exist from the side...
my custom-made Frankenstein case I built 3 years ago has a similar layout to this case, actually a bit smaller, and has a dual 2.5" SSD hot swap bay exiting from the side.

Just an idea/feature, which would make this case way different than any other case available in SFF.

Another idea is have a 2.5" SSD hot swap in the front panel like other Lian Li cases, maybe it's already there, I couldn't tell. Would be nice if the front panel could be opened quickly, maybe like 2 hinges at the middle or bottom and the top part of the front panel can be pulled down.

Thanks!

gsilver

Case Bender
New User
Mar 4, 2023
What CPU Heatsink/fan is suggested to run with this? The image looks similar to the Noctua NH-D15S, but that's a 160mm cooler and the specs say that this will only support 158mm

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Distance is 20mm like for the C4-SFX. This is perfect and the 3x 120mm bottom fans can work perfectly.

If you put a 3.5" GPU in the 2. slot you cant install bottom fans.

Tramere

Cable Smoosher
May 21, 2019
Let me take my insane idea and validate it.

Mini ITX MB + SFX PSU. GPU irrelevant.
All watercooled on custom loop.

I can see i would potentially do 2x 360 rads in top/ bottom. I can assume not very thick, max 30mm + 25mm fans but at least 20.5 mm + 15 mm slims. That would dissipate some 3-400w of heat. Being 4 slot case bottom should be more generous.

How about the side bracket + top/ bottom. There i could cram a 60mm + 25 mm fans and that would be 300w by itself. With the others you could safely watercool any modern PC within a small frame.

Would that be something possible?

Clientele Services

Caliper Novice
Oct 12, 2022
Thank you so much for all the updates.

Does your case have the abibilty to handle the "Deep" Micro-ATX motherboard - AsRock RACK - SPC741D8UD-2T/X55 (https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=SPC741D8UD-2T/X550#Specifications)
Form Factor​
Deep Micro-ATX
Dimensions​
10.4” x 10.5” (264.16 x 266.7 mm)

I know this is 1" over the standard Mico-ATX.

Also from your point of view. Is this case based on water cooling or air cooling? I prefer water cooling. The goal to consider; is Single Xeon Processor and Dual A6000 GPU. For me, looking for a small case, that allows for about 1200 radiator/fan combinations for cooling capacity.

Your specs mention a "Water cooling support: up to dual 360mm radiator with 120x120x25mm fans."

What kind of radiator thickness are you referring to with the 25mm fan? One 360mm radiator x 3 120 fans? On the side, 360 mm radiator with 3-120 fans. What is the mat thickness of the radiator with the 25mm fans? Also, what is the maximum length for each radiator?

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

elrd5150

Chassis Packer
Nov 26, 2022
It looks more bulky with horizontal lines, didn't like it at first, but I think it starts to grow on me. Some retro-future vibes.

alfdpw

Chassis Packer
Oct 19, 2022
It looks more bulky with horizontal lines, didn't like it at first, but I think it starts to grow on me. Some retro-future vibes.
Yeah, I too didn't like them at first but now I'm kind a neutral. Same thing with the feet, though a still think that the original feet are better.
The deal breaker for me is the size. Around 20 L (+/-), in my opinion, was the sweet spot for a mATX case. I hope Lian Li will reconsider about the 22 - 25L size.

Reactions: m_le_fay

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I dont think they will change their mind since requirements are ATX + 360 AIO support + very long GPUs. With SFX only sub 20L would be possible.

Reactions: mapriex

alfdpw

Chassis Packer
Oct 19, 2022
Oh, didn't knew they are targeting ATX compatibility. This completely changes the target audience. Sad 🫤