Production Lazer3D CG7 Cravo - Low profile silent case (slim mATX | mini itx)

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
I know this might be a bit „out of the box thinking“ but as that’s exactly what this project is about, I can’t stop thinking of the CG7 with a vertical GPU mount over the CPU, which would extend the cases graphics card capabilities by quiet a bit. Not only that, without the low profile gpu at the top pcie spots there might be enough room for something like a dual 80 or 92mm radiator (Alphacool has both) or Asetek 545lc at the top, just an idea. But even without the watercooling in mind the cpu could be cooled with a low profile top blower like a Noctua NH-L9i/AM4 and still fit the GPU (opens up the full lineup of GTX 1060-1080 mini cards) I mean TFX PSUs and the HDPLEX stuff are equipped with up to 8pin PCIE power and with generally being around 300-500W it might be enough to consider a more powerful GPU then a 1050ti, especially as Nvidia seems to release new GPUs not earlier then in the end of 2018. (no new low profile GPUs in the near future) With this vertical GPU mount the 7L case would appear even more versatile and could reach a more spread out audience! :) At least as an extra that would be available in the configuration? It might be a needed feature to be competitive with something like an Asrock Deskmini GTX for example. I would really appreciate the vertical GPU mount! :) Cheers

I can’t else then quote myself. That’s still my opinion and as I wish this project the best success possible, I would really take it into consideration before the production starts. And I want my upcoming case to be perfect! :D

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Really liking the inset lines and the ventilation pattern, makes it really unique among the other circular holed cases here. I have no use for this case, but awesome work regardless!

Reactions: owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
something is bugging me a bit, there's no way to fit a beefier gpu inside this case ?
I mean can't we put one horizontally instead of vertically (there is 4 low profile slot after all)

I think a vertical GPU mount would be so sweet...that would utilize the 92mm fans for better airflow through the full case and especially that there are TFX PSUs with 6pin and even 8pin PCIe conectors which would be just usable with a non low profile GPU. It’s easily possible and would make the 7L case more interesting for a lot of users as this is the first case that goes the TFX route. FINGERS CROSSED

Sorry guys,
I really cant do this in this 7L case
. from the top of the I/o shield there's only 39mm to the outer panel. considering that its around 40mm needed for 2 slot GPUs I end up lacking space to add the cutouts, and that's completely ignoring how the CPU will performs without water-cooling.

I like the idea of the radiator though, and water cooling could potentially allow this case to fit single slot cards (watercooled and maybe modeed) over the motherboard. BUT I can't really make the extra panels that would be needed for this in timely manner and I wouldn't be able to validate this layout, as I basically lack the money to even try it now (it would cost hundreds of dollars for a build like these, but respect).

TLDR, not now, maybe in the future, has a chance it wouldn't work and would require custom loops. Its something that could only happen with some community effort here, and after this case launches I can happily design the panels for this layout if there is enough interest. It would have to be sold as extras, though.

The vertical GPU mounting will be the main point of the CG10 though. but that is on its very early stages yet (some of it was posted on this post and Is being updated as CG7 evolves) but if it launches will be around the end of the year.

I appreciate the support and enthusiasm :) you gave me ideas, and I'll see what I can do when I got some free time

Will this case fit a zotac 1080 mini?
sorry but No, only low profile/Half height cards which is 1050ti levels right now.

Really liking the inset lines and the ventilation pattern, makes it really unique among the other circular holed cases here. I have no use for this case, but awesome work regardless!

Thanks a lot! :)

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
I can happily design the panels for this layout if there is enough interest. It would have to be sold as extras, though.

I think this will be a nice upgradeable project case and fit with its current design in every environment, especially with the different customizations you can make it fitting your taste. Perfect to house some RYZEN APUs as a HTPC or travel case. Or even professionally and powerful with strong CPUs in mind. Maybe the upcomming Nvidia GPUs will bring up some worthy Low Profile Cards.
But it'll be great if the vertical mount could be added in the future. Thats the nice part of having an acrylic case like this. It is easy to switch specific parts. Looking forward into the launch and I'll share my results as soon as possible! Cheers

Reactions: jujudk and owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
:/

mmmh might wait for the cg10 then :eek:
(micro atx and tfx psu ?)

with low profile cards, yes

with full size gpus only with dc-atx psus like hdplex and Dynamo mini +360, but there is room for hdplex 300w ac-dc unit.
We have a sample from the Dynamo PSUS that is on the way, as well as a hdplex 300w unit.

please remember that this CG10 is going to take at least months for designing + prototyping + validation after the CG7 launches. and its still more of a possibility right now.

I need to launch the CG7 first as its really my first commercial case. hope you all understand.
its really important that this case goes into market because that will help me get money and hardware to develop the future models.

cheers :)

Reactions: GucksTV and jujudk

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Weekend! ;) I’d like to see those...
I was looking for the prices to drop and I’ve got today a very god deal on the Noctua NH-L12S and two NF-A9x14...now the first setup is ready to be used in the CG7! <3

Today I'll finish my article on the temperature test (with a bit in depth of the Cryorig cooler performance) and I'll post the pictures with it ;)

Reactions: GucksTV

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Sorry for the delay. Writing is not my strongest skill, but I hope you all enjoy this. I'll do one more test to try out the NH-L9i after. I hope future testings will be made by proper reviewers XD

Disclaimer: The Cryorig C7 cooler was sent by the Cryorig team by request.
The Noctua fans and coolers mentioned in this review were also sent by Noctua per our request. I hope to have results for the Noctua NH-L9i in a few weeks.

Cryorig C7 inside CG7 Cravo
a Thermal investigation

In this review I’ll be using the Cryorig C7 CPU cooler to investigate the thermal aspects of Cravo. For this test I’ll look into CPU intensive workloads as this is one of the main focus of this case. The case layout used for this test was the default layout with TFX psu.
My measures were made with a chep ambient thermometer and hwinfo, with data collected every 10sec for system info and 10 min for ambient temperatures.

Axis alignment
For this review and future reviews, I’ll consider the horizontal position to be the default orientation of this case. So, when I say top panel it’s the panel with the venting holes on top of the CPU, and side fan bracket is the bracket for the 2x92mm fans and so on.

About the C7

the C7 is a very popular cooler among the SFF community so I was really interested to see how it would perform in this case. It came with a nice little tool to help screw the nut and a plastic backplate, making installation a very easy process, much better than some past experience I had with cheaper coolers with similar mounting solutions.

The C7 is 47mm tall, so only fans under 22mm would fit over this cooler on the top fan bracket. since I don’t have a 120 or 140 slim fan I will be testing this in its stock configuration.

Test System
Case Layout: default TFX PSU
CPU: i7 4790 @ 3.8Ghz on all cores
Ram: 16gb DDR3 1600mhz
Voltage Offset: -0.08 V
Motherboard: Asrock H81M-VG4 R3.0
Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A9x14 on side bracket.

I took this picture before the thermal testing.

Airflow Experiments
My first attempt was with the 2 Noctua fans on the side bracket set to intake. After some testing I got into 80ºC+ temps which could range from 50 to 55 delta T , and over that temperature this motherboard just sets all fans to 100% making everything very noisy. At max speed the temperatures improved a bit. I flipped the case fans to exhaust and got much better results with the silent profile and decided to revisit the intake results on a cooler day, since my room temperatures range from 24ºC on cold days to 30ºC on very hot days. At max speed this were the results:

please note that delta T = cpu temp - air Temp

I decided to test the case with the vents on top panel blocked to test how it would impact temperatures. It’s interesting to see the blocked vents performing a little better with the fans set to intake. The Noctua NH-L9i behaves a little differently, and I’ll be analyzing that on a future post.

Stress Test

I used the Blender BMW scene initially, which is a 10 minute render on this processor. This reflects a lot of my personal workflow and is a good measure of how this case handle 100% load on all cores for a short period of time. I used this short burst test to measure how vents, fan orientation and fan speed affected the CPU temperatures on this particular case.

For a more demanding test I used the Blender classroom scene, averaging around 35 minutes on the same 100% load, on the best configuration in silent fan mode. This test was used to see if the temperatures I was getting on the BMW scene were realistic or if the temperatures kept going up for longer periods of stress. turns out after 20 min the temperatures are very stable, only fluctuating by the normal amount.

Also, in these tests the boost clock never diped under 3.8Ghz. Average core voltage was 1.022V and Total CPU Package Power was around 65w to 69w. temperatures in these graphs are the delta over ambient temperatures.

lines represent cpu themperatures (left), dotted lines represent fan rpm (right)

In the classroom scene the red line represents the motherboard temp sensor. I used this to see if the air inside the case would get warm over time.

Gamer preview - BMW scene with 6 cores only - average 75% CPU load
Since I’m still not able to test game results (my GT 1030 is on its way) I decided to simulate the load of recent games, that are starting to focus on 6 core loads. That put this CPU into 75% load territory and that’s a reasonable load for any demanding multi-threaded application that would keep you in a short range of your case, as opposed to a render workload, where at 100% load and with an hour of wait, extra noise from higher fan rpm will not matter that much.

For this test, I used the same BMW blender scene but limited to 6 cores. What would matter here is the result for the silent profile in which the exhaust fan orientation has 5ºC lead from the intake counterpart. At max fan speed the difference from intake to exhaust for this load is around 10ºC.

Comparing a performance vs silent mode with the case fans set to exhaust shows that at this load the difference in temperatures is only 5ºC, so it’s a small difference in temperatures, and I consider this setup to be best noise/performance ratio.

Concerning Silence

I’m very impressed by how these fans can be inaudible at idle and moderate loads. After changing the fan settings I realized that it’s better to have the case fans set to silence at all times, as that improves on the overall noise by a large margin on idle without sacrificing temperature. I could even lower the case fan’s RPM to be around 1000 rpm at all times with almost no impact, so this is something I’d recommend doing.

Closing thoughts

I really liked the results, overall. It's close to what I expected and even better. I guess I only expected better results with the case fans set to intake, but I think that if GPU temperature is your most concern, removing the i/o shield would be enough to lower the CPU temperatures by a bit when case fans are set to intake. If no GPU is present or is something that is passively cooled, the case fans should be set to exhaust.

The temperature results where the case fans is set to intake and the vents are blocked made me believe that with some coolers it would be OK to have a clear panel without vent holes as an extra option, rather than just a tinted panel, as I believe the temperatures are higher because of the lack of pressure inside the case.

I also believe that a single NF A9x14 fan on the side panel could handle most setups if you need to cut some corners ($), as I've seen worst setups performing reasonably well and these fans are really optimized for pressure. Overall, very impressed by these fans, I can definitely recommend.

I believe this results should give you all an idea of how this case would performs with your system.

Cheers :)

---------------
You can find more info about the Cryorig C7 here, and about the Noctua fans here

Want to see more pictures? check out this album.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
I might go noctua just for silence and it's availability (available everywhere when the cryorig is not)

This case vertically mounted is so sexy <3
But i still might wait for the cg10 (cause vega 20 news are insane so i'll want one )

Last edited:
Reactions: GucksTV and owliwar

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
I might go noxtua just for silence and it's availability (available everywhere when the cryorig is not)

This case vertically mounted is so sexy <3
But i still might wait for the cg10 (cause vega 20 news are insane so i'll want one )

Just to make this clear: this case has the potential to use the new NOCTUA NH-L12S which has a hight of 7cm and would fit just perfectly inside. It has one 120mm fan and rated upon 95W TDP...which would range from the 8700K (delidded it’ll be even better!) and the upcoming 8 core Coffee Lake (which was announced to have a 95W TDP as well!) and basically the RYZEN equivalents would work too. Especially with those two 92mm fans as an exhaust the temps should be easily sustainable with the NH-L12S! That’s at least what I am going to do!

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Just to make this clear: this case has the potential to use the new NOCTUA NH-L12S which has a hight of 7cm and would fit just perfectly inside. It has one 120mm fan and rated upon 95W TDP...which would range from the 8700K (delidded it’ll be even better!) and the upcoming 8 core Coffee Lake (which was announced to have a 95W TDP as well!) and basically the RYZEN equivalents would work too. Especially with those two 92mm fans as an exhaust the temps should be easily sustainable with the NH-L12S! That’s at least what I am going to do!

Interesting i never knew a new model was coming !
But i just spotted that asrock got a coffee lake stx system in the works so :p i might go stx way if it works

Reactions: GucksTV

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
Interesting i never knew a new model was coming !
But i just spotted that asrock got a coffee lake stx system in the works so :p i might go stx way if it works

Yes the Deskmini 310 will be out around June but as a owner of the previous 110 version I can tell you it’s an amazing device but you’ll gonna hate the freaking power brick! :D especially when you’re on the go. Sure the unit is small but I prefer a slightly bigger case with better cooling and a internal PSU! That’s why I am really into to CG7, and with the Deskmini you’ll miss the PCIe slot. I don’t know what your usecase (pun not intended ^^) is going to be, but ceep in mind that the deskmini with 110 or 310 chipset is limited to non K CPUs and this case with for example and Asrock Z390 ITX could house an 8 core and would definitely bring some amazing performance in such a small form factor. But sure the STX concept will be very interesting especially with coffee lake inside! ;) Cheers

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Yes the Deskmini 310 will be out around June but as a owner of the previous 110 version I can tell you it’s an amazing device but you’ll gonna hate the freaking power brick! :D especially when you’re on the go. Sure the unit is small but I prefer a slightly bigger case with better cooling and a internal PSU! That’s why I am really into to CG7, and with the Deskmini you’ll miss the PCIe slot. I don’t know what your usecase (pun not intended ^^) is going to be, but ceep in mind that the deskmini with 110 or 310 chipset is limited to non K CPUs and this case with for example and Asrock Z390 ITX could house an 8 core and would definitely bring some amazing performance in such a small form factor. But sure the STX concept will be very interesting especially with coffee lake inside! ;) Cheers

Well i'm looking for the smallest pc case right now that accept a gpu cause being a student and having a chromebook i still want to play games :/ (but yeah a 1050 ti is more than enough for me just that i tend to go overkill and i might have to go the cheaper way)
Beside having the possibility to have 3 drives and a m.2 make this case even more appealing
So i'll see ^^

Reactions: K888D and GucksTV