KMPKT Heatsink Discussion

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
By the way, how's that GPU cooler / case project of yours coming along?

After a 35 business day lead time the fins for the heatsinks were literally just minted today. I've been sitting on the contact plate, baseplate, heat pipes and everything else for weeks. Once everything arrives, will just need to send the parts for assembly. Hoping to have benchmarks done by late in March.

reiserFS

Chassis Packer
Dec 15, 2017
After a 35 business day lead time the fins for the heatsinks were literally just minted today. I've been sitting on the contact plate, baseplate, heat pipes and everything else for weeks. Once everything arrives, will just need to send the parts for assembly. Hoping to have benchmarks done by late in March.
Thanks for the quick update, Kmpkt. Looking forward to it!

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
Out of the loop, what kind of heatsink are you making? One for MXM cards?

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
It should be vastly superior to the AsRock cooler. If my engineer knows what he's talking about it should also be very significantly ahead of all low profile (<50mm) CPU coolers on the market as well.
Nice! Do you have a link to a thread where you talk about it or something? I'd like to see it.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Do you have a link to a thread where you talk about it or something? I'd like to see it.

To date I've only made comments and put teasers about the heatsink on these boards. Once I have the unit and have tested it I will be posting results as well as giving dimensions and stuff. I won't be disclosing anything about the specific functionality in the near future as I am waiting to finalize the design before filing any patents. The way patents work, if anyone seeking to replicate my cooler can prove that I publicly disclosed the key elements of my heatsink prior to my filing date then I pretty much lose any ability to protect my IP. This is why I continue to be incredibly vague about the unit's specifics.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
As an engineer who has simulated various solutions to problems only to have the actual product blow up at me, I cautiously but optimistically wish you the best of success with this project. I anxiously await, with the rest of us here, the prototype results and the secrets behind the theoretical improvements you've developed over traditional designs. Watching and waiting!

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Couldn't find a shop to make a satisfactory assembly jig, so we've had a set of 1.6mm shims made to space the fins properly during assembly. Lead times were unfortunately quite long and shipping has to be factored in. That being said, I'm feeling really optimistic about the design and the raw surface area we're packing into this thing. Fingers crossed!

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Once in production, I will definitely be offering the heatsink alongside my power supplies on SFFLab. As far as a first run goes, I have been thinking about doing a Kickstarter if for no other reason than to have the visibility the platform provides as well as the trust the general public has in it as a launch platform. I already have investment for a first run provided the results are as strong as expected. Should that fall through, I would likely able to set aside the funds necessary to self-launch by the fall.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
As far as a first run goes, I have been thinking about doing a Kickstarter if for no other reason than to have the visibility the platform provides as well as the trust the general public has in it as a launch platform.

I say do it!
I'm no Kickstarter expert, but there is no good reason for you not trying a campaign, since you already have quite some visibility here on the Forum, and probably an awesome product in hands.
Of course you need some way to go, like showing pics/tests and sending review samples, but if things go nicely it might be worth a try.

Good luck anyway Craig, I'm anxious to see your heatsink :D