News Thermaltake Engine 27 (production Coolchip kinetic cooler)

Thermaltake have finally announced the production heatsink to come out of their collaboration with Coolchip.

Unfortunately it's only rated for 70W TDP at 13-25 dBA, which doesn't compare favourably with the NH-L9i (95W, 23.6dB) unless you really need those extra 10mm (27mm height vs. 37mm with fan). We'll have to see how it works in practice though.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
This unit seems to have finally hit
amazon.com. Anyone with knowledge In the area able to comment on the possibility of having one of these anodized to a specific colour? Would be pretty amazing in a solid colour to match a build.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Anyone with knowledge In the area able to comment on the possibility of having one of these anodized to a specific colour?

It probably already has a clear-coat anodization already that would need removed to re-anodize it. The air-bearing surfaces would probably need to be masked to prevent the tolerances from getting messed with too.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
At that price the only way for this to make sense is if it CRUSHES the Noctua in performance or noise. And my builds aren't typically $$ bound so that is saying something.

I think it would do pretty well though in 1U builds but I don't have anything like that going on right now to test...

I kinda want to buy it to test but I don't see the point. I can't imagine anyone going for this cooler at this price. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: EdZ and Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
At that price the only way for this to make sense is if it CRUSHES the Noctua in performance or noise.

I kinda want to buy it to test but I don't see the point. I can't imagine anyone going for this cooler at this price. Am I wrong?
At 27mm it has little competition, there are cases that don't fit the Noctua NH-L9, but it's mostly thin mITX I'd reckon. Still, this is a potentially interesting product if it scales well to a little larger sizes.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
What if we add a 92x92x14 fan on top? maybe it will perform better than NH-L9i then, and can still fit in most of the compact itx chassis.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What if we add a 92x92x14 fan on top? maybe it will perform better than NH-L9i then, and can still fit in most of the compact itx chassis.

I don't see how that would make it perform better. Multiple fans in series don't increase the airflow. It would certainly make it louder due to increased turbulence.

If the fan you mentioned had a certain distance, I could see the benefit of preventing the cooler from recycling, but ducting would serve the same purpose.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
While that is an interesting idea, it may not work due to the fact that the cooler pulls in air in the center where the 92x92x14 fan's hub would be.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
But the S4 mini supports a 120mm fan mount for slim fans and I've seen at least one build use it in tandem with the CNP2SX. So is it actually doing anything to help temperatures more with a radial heatsink such as that one? Or create too much turbulence?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
It's not as black and white as it could be. The main problem is the air needs someplace to escape to be more effective. If you were to mod the wrap-over panel for instance it would dramatically help your temps for a case fan.

I've done alot of builds now with and without them, and it can vary between hardware choices, board layout, cable management, case orientation. I honestly don't have a strong opinion on it. Some people don't care about fan noise or operate in a noisy environment and in that case you can slap a 2000RPM fan above the CNPS2x and it does help--ESPECIALLY in reverse vertical orientation.

I do care about noise, and temps don't really bother me too much for the CPU or motherboard, so I just run with the L9i and it works fine.

I'm not an expert though, or a scientist. I just want to have options for people who are. :)

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Just pointing something out in the video on their site, it shows the metal blade assembly spinning clockwise, therefore sucking air into the middle... I think there might be a small issue with that :p And if that's how it really is, wouldn't it be better to have it suck air in through the middle and blow it out radially through the blades?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I too am looking forward to some perf testing on this one. Aesthetics are great. It lists up to 70w cpus so maybe a 35W Skylake would do just fine.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Just pointing something out in the video on their site, it shows the metal blade assembly spinning clockwise, therefore sucking air into the middle... I think there might be a small issue with that :p And if that's how it really is, wouldn't it be better to have it suck air in through the middle and blow it out radially through the blades?
It will do that in practice. I found it odd as well and chucked it up as mistake in marketing.