News Thermaltake Engine 27 (production Coolchip kinetic cooler)

Thermaltake have finally announced the production heatsink to come out of their collaboration with Coolchip.

Unfortunately it's only rated for 70W TDP at 13-25 dBA, which doesn't compare favourably with the NH-L9i (95W, 23.6dB) unless you really need those extra 10mm (27mm height vs. 37mm with fan). We'll have to see how it works in practice though.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
"I was surprised at too much CPU temperature and I was doubly surprised when trying to remove the CPU cooler. I left the protective film on the base. A mistake not to be an amateur do amateur."

Hmm...

He accidentally left the blue film on

Reactions: ricochet

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Whatcha think, a heavily saturated Cathode UV lighting theme with maybe some minimal yellow (or red) led targeted lighting would go well with this new cooler? Any ideas on the best lighting to show off this new cooler?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Are cathodes even available for PC cases anymore? I thought the industry swapped to LEDs exclusively? I believe bright white would go very well with the silver of the cooler.

Reactions: ricochet

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
I had a thrilling idea.

What about strapping one if these bad boys onto a GPU as a GPU cooler? You would still need vrm cooking though

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I had a thrilling idea.

What about strapping one if these bad boys onto a GPU as a GPU cooler? You would still need vrm cooking though
Well a typical gpu today rate around 120-150w, I really don't think this will hold up really well.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I had a thrilling idea.

Well a typical gpu today rate around 120-150w, I really don't think this will hold up really well.
I've had the same idea, actually, but what I think makes the most sense is a hybrid design where you still have a conventional heatsink, in addition to the kinetic cooler. For example, it could replace the centrifugal fan in a reference blower design, with a vapor chamber distributing the heat to both the kinetic cooler and the fin stack. In theory it could allow for cooler-running, quieter reference designs.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Had my Engine 27 come in yesterday. Hoping to get it into my S4 mini build this week to test it in a vertical orientation. Will be using it with a 4690T and will try to see if I can get thermals to compare to the CNPS2X.

panec

Case Bender
New User
Aug 29, 2016
Had my Engine 27 come in yesterday. Hoping to get it into my S4 mini build this week to test it in a vertical orientation. Will be using it with a 4690T and will try to see if I can get thermals to compare to the CNPS2X.
Any progress on testing it?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So it's looking like I'll have a chance to at least start testing on Friday. My dilemma is this. I only have a 4690T and 4790K to match with the heat sink. I'm thinking that the 4690T being a 45W piece won't really stress the heatsinks (CNPS2X and Engine 27), while the 4790K may just be too much for either unit to handle. I was thinking the best solution would be to use the 4690K and run some mid level benchmarks rather than trying to crush it with something like Prime 95. Anyone have any solutions/suggestions for me?

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
You could lower the clocks of the K version to match a lower TDP chip. There's no better binning or anything on these K and T chips, only difference is the unlocked multiplier and clock rates.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So I tried testing tonight. Went through 1.5 hours of Prime 95 torture test using the CNPS2X on my 4690T in the S4 mini with the side panel off in vertical position. Max core temp in this time was 72 degrees celcius and ambient temperature was around 21 degrees with fan speeds around 2700 RPM. Went to repeat the test on the Engine 27 and realized I'd forgotten the stock backplate for my CPU retention bracket at my office and they Zalman backplate isn't compatible with the Engine 27. I will pick the piece up tomorrow afternoon and hopefully be able to complete testing tomorrow. Was also thinking of doing the same test with my L9i as it's a fair bit stronger than the CNPS2X. Sorry for the delay!

muniz_ri

Case Bender
Dec 17, 2016
I have been using this cooler for a couple of weeks now. It's performance is on par with a stock intel cooler but it's about half the size, much more solid/rugged and almost silent at normal operating speeds, ~1,500 rpm. After about 2,000 rpm you can definitely hear it. I'm currently using it with a delidded I5 4690K (Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra on the die and Arctic MX-4 between the IHS and cooler). The hottest core does not get above 69c after running prime95 for 10mins! This is an 88W TDP so, with delidded cpu's, the cooler can handle much more than a 70W TDP. Prior to the delid the hottest core reached 86c after 10mins of running prime95.

Last edited: