KMPKT Heatsink Discussion

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Thanks for the encouragement. At this point I'm mostly nervous that after all the time, trouble and expense my real world results won't match the sims and my engineer's predictions. Hoping my guy knows his shit : )

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I am literally sitting with the baseplate and fins assembled in front of me and about to bake the entire thing to flux the solder paste. This is the first of four prototypes (copper contact plate, aluminum base, aluminum fin, three heat pipes) I will be assembling and I am hoping to have preliminary testing done later this week.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I am literally sitting with the baseplate and fins assembled in front of me and about to bake the entire thing to flux the solder paste. This is the first of four prototypes (copper contact plate, aluminum base, aluminum fin, three heat pipes) I will be assembling and I am hoping to have preliminary testing done later this week.

I remember using solder paste for the first (and only) time. I had my PCB on a hot plate with a few dozen tiny SMD components laid on their pads with a thin layer of paste. For several agonizing minutes, nothing seemed to be happening. Then, one, then two, then several of them in a rush started to solder on. It was a glorious experience.

Just, uh, I wish you more luck with the heatsink than I had with the circuit card (the light came on but that was about it. I blame the designer:oops:)

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah we tried using a toaster oven to bake and the solder wouldn't take. We're going to buy a precision blowtorch and try again in a couple weeks. Was massively frustrating.

ECHO

Trash Compacter
Dec 3, 2016
Yeah we tried using a toaster oven to bake and the solder wouldn't take. We're going to buy a precision blowtorch and try again in a couple weeks. Was massively frustrating.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
My heatsink is currently intended have compatibility for 115X, AM4 and MXM.

I'm curious to see the design and whether it can be upscaled... any comments on that? I mean, can it be upscaled to a taller, beefier, more potent product?

I can scale it for width or height very easily in order to make it run at a greater capacity (ie. 65mm tall variant). I am also hopeful that I could eventually scale it for length in order to cool GPUs.

Rough specs right now are:

Width: 92mm
Length: 92mm
Height: 31mm
Height with 14mm thin fan: 45mm

Variants:
4.) Cu Base / Cu Fins / 3 Heat Pipe

4. Can we have it parallel to the RAM modules when used with AMD?

This is certainly a consideration in design.

@Kmpkt

Man, would love to see custom Cu heat sinks for AM4 & Vega Nano in the MI-6 chassis, something that would allow mounting Noctua NF-A12x25 Sterrox fans to either heat sink, while still fitting within the MI-6 chassis...

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Ooh, getting close! Think there will be a narrow ILM 2011 option if you do a kickstarter?

I doubt it since that is a pretty small niche within a niche, but never say never.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Can someone update me on some info i can't really find.
What TDP is it suppost to handle?
Hight over Motherboard? (without fan?)
Support for Intel 1151 and so on? or limited to special

Or in other words what is this cooler for. Competing Cryoprig C7, and bigger coolers or not att all.
Im looking for a killer cooler for Ghost s1, 66mm cooler space.

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
The info you are looking for is all in this thread - it's only 3 pages... :confused:

planned socket compatibility: 115X, AM4 and MXM
initial height: 45mm including 14mm fan (higher versions are possible if all goes well and the demand is there, the prototype will be shaved down from 45mm to ??mm until performance deteriorates)
TDP: unknown (there isn't a single assembled prototype, simulations can tell you only so much), plus TDP values are pretty much meaningless as they are not comparable between different manufactures.

What it's competing against depends on how good it performs. Which is still an unknown.
For the Ghost you are likely better off with something like an Noctua L12. Though KMPKTs cooler might surprise us all. ;)

Last edited:

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
I am sorry. but for what reason there is not a single photo or at least a reder?

As tantalizing as this endeavor is, he's doing what's best for his intellectual property at the moment. If it's a success after prototype, he deserves to be able to effectively fight any theft of his designs. I personally hope the project works out for you @Kmpkt I'd buy one for my S4M.

Reactions: ECHO and Damascus

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Im looking for a killer cooler for Ghost s1, 66mm cooler space
As much as I adore this project it likely isn't the cooler for you. You can fit an axp- 100 in push pull (modding required) NH-L12, Silverstone s60 or an of the dozens of taller 120mm fan coolers