News Thermaltake Engine 27 (production Coolchip kinetic cooler)

Thermaltake have finally announced the production heatsink to come out of their collaboration with Coolchip.

Unfortunately it's only rated for 70W TDP at 13-25 dBA, which doesn't compare favourably with the NH-L9i (95W, 23.6dB) unless you really need those extra 10mm (27mm height vs. 37mm with fan). We'll have to see how it works in practice though.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
So it's definitely an option for people running non-K CPUs and a "maybe" for K-series CPUs. Unless you can't stand any noise. Nice.

muniz_ri

Case Bender
Dec 17, 2016
So it's definitely an option for people running non-K CPUs and a "maybe" for K-series CPUs. Unless you can't stand any noise. Nice.

Yes, it should definitely be considered for any cpu under 70W's especially where there are extreme size constraints. CPU's over 70W's seem to overwhelm it and temps easily rise making the cooler run at higher (audible) rpm's. But if you are willing to delid, it will work with much higher TDP cpu's with headroom to spare.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Hmmm hard to see the value in this. Looks like one of the ducted coolers minus the ducting. I note from an animation that the air is pulled down in in and dispelled through the side fins. It being very low profile we can assume intended applications are low height cases, that being the case I can see a convection flow setting up with the warm air being dispelled, rising and being drawn back in, thus the cooling air getting gradually warmer and warmer. Unless the case had side exhaust case fans and a vented lid above as an intake aid.
I use similar size coolers, albeit lower TDP range, up to 65c so only 5 degrees cooler, but much cheaper, Alpenfron Silvretta, Gelid slim silence and hero, and PC Cooling S195. price average on these is about £15. (Arctic cooling have some contenders too)
All do the job well and nearly silently, so hard to get enthusiastic about the Engine 27.
Then again a it may be the right solution for some rigs, especially those who see it as part of a display from reading on here!