KMPKT Heatsink Discussion

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Very much hype. Pictures?
As much as my heart wants to see pictures, my brain reminds me that the same concerns about IP and patenting are probably still in effect.

Unfortunately this. I don't want to bury another 3-4K into patenting only to find out the thing is a lemon. While simulations etc. are super positive, nothing matches real world testing.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Unfortunately this. I don't want to bury another 3-4K into patenting only to find out the thing is a lemon. While simulations etc. are super positive, nothing matches real world testing.

Oh, I had forgotten about that. I'm sorry. :)

I'll be patient!

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Will likely test it without heatpipes this weekend so as to obtain an idea of how effective various heatpipe configurations end up being.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Couldn't help myself. Just need to get the pipe bending down and tap the heatsink and we should be good to go!

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I used bending springs from Home Depot. I manage to get four functionally bent pipes that I may end up using, but I've bought a pipe bending tool and second set of pipes to try out as well. Considering the amount of hassle it has been to get the prototype this far I really don't want to fuck it up on the home stretch by pooching the tapping or the pipes.

ECHO

Trash Compacter
Dec 3, 2016
A commercial or industrial (or residential too TBH) refrigeration mechanic would likely have the kit needed, though I'm less sure about using a tube bender with solid copper lengths.
Is your bender something like this? https://www.ebay.com.au/i/283202907741?chn=ps - This isn't an endorsement of that particular model, just ones like it haha
Good Luck! :)

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah I bought one like that and a new selection of pipes. Will arrive mid to late week and will reattempt.

Reactions: ECHO

Tjo2012

Trash Compacter
Feb 6, 2018
@Kmpkt seeing those heat pipes reminded me of a forum thread you did a couple of years ago that tested stacking multiple heatpipes in a static(ish) aluminum heat sink. I think the outcome was something along the lines of heat pipes both having diminishing returns the more heatpipes you have and eventually are a negative as well as the quality of manufacturing can affect conductivity. ill see if i can find the thread.