Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

candyman

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2016
Bad news at least for me, I wanted steel panels.
I can wait for the definitive model and see it before at this point.
It would be nice to have an all-steel model as prototype (same measures of the aluminum panels, with thick 2.0mm steel panels) and then the aluminum standard model.
People interested on the original Cerberus would have paid a little more for the steel panels.

Last edited:
Reactions: tedlas

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Not everyone who wants steel wants 2.0mm steel though, it's a huge different in weight:
  • 2.0mm alum panels: 1.59kg (3.5lb)
  • 1.2mm steel panels: 2.73kg (6.0lb)
  • 2.0mm steel panels: 4.63kg (10.2lb)
Weights are just for the panels.

So offering both 1.2mm and 2.0mm steel as options would split an already small run into 3 batches. It's just not feasible.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm not sure. It was developed for a potential business customer and I'm not sure if they're still going to place an order.

BiaxialObject48

Cable Smoosher
Aug 30, 2016
Just registered and I would like to say that I'm really excited for this case! I have never seen such a high quality and premium case, let alone a microATX one that puts space efficiency first. As I just built an ATX PC, I don't really have the money to buy a new case among other things, but I am very interested in this case.

I also had a question, does the Cryorig A80 liquid cooler's CPU block fit with an ATX PSU? Here is a spec sheet from their website:

As you can see the water block has a fan (which can be removed) that increases the height clearance required. I suppose I would have to remove the extra fan on top of the water block. Even then, the height is 52.8mm, which would result in interference with a clearance of only 48mm.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome!

The tubing sticks out the top as well so it won't fit with an ATX PSU installed.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
I'm not sure. It was developed for a potential business customer and I'm not sure if they're still going to place an order.

That's a shame, just as I found a use for it. The PP08 will have to do.

It's looking like no matter what approach I take, I have to use SFX PSUs. An EK Supermacy block with 90 degree angle fittings is 51 mm tall :(

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
ATX support in Cerberus is a compromise implementation. It fits, but it imposes some pretty heavy constraints on the CPU cooler clearance.

Unfortunately we're not quite there but I think in another product cycle or two we'll have SFX and SFX-L power supplies that truly equal ATX units in practically every regard for most users.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
ATX support in Cerberus is a compromise implementation. It fits, but it imposes some pretty heavy constraints on the CPU cooler clearance.

It's probably for the best. I don't relish having to hide all that excess cabling in addition to all the tubing,

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Argh, Deus Ex's DX12 patch is coming in two weeks with multi-GPU support. Here I have two GPUs and just an mITX board and no Cerberus. First world problems, squared. But besides these obvious non-problems, do you fine gents have an idea when the prototype campaign is going to materialise ? Oh well, atleast the SX800-LTI is still a long way off, the AM4 platform or Intel 7th gen Core is also for next year...

Reactions: hardcore_gamer