Production J-HACK PURE X - 4.3L LP GPU chassis with FLEX support

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Have you considered a layout where the PSU is placed underneath the mobo?

In such scenario, there'll be lots of space for HDDs/SSDs and front I/O ports.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Have you considered a layout where the PSU is placed underneath the mobo?

In such scenario, there'll be lots of space for HDDs/SSDs and front I/O ports.

If you do that, it'll have to be at least a 3 piece, cause then you have to have support for the motherboard.

And it'll get pretty big too, around 6-7L. At that point making it support full sized gpu and creating HDD brackets make more sense.

For these small cases usually lack of front IO isn't a deal killer, the L4 didn't have front IO and most prefer it that way. Small PCs are easy to access behind so it's not as big of a deal to lack IO. See Dancase where a single USB port was favored.

That said, if supporting a USB port is as simple as adding 2 extra holes and increasing cost by 50 cents, with little to no aesthetic impact, I can easily justify supporting it.

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 30, 2018
Nice work, looks like a much more refined version of this case off Taobao (https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...4e442f24wI1Uyp&id=18872011487&_u=t2dmg8j26111), which has a pretty poor design of the HDD cage sitting directly above the CPU cooler. The GPU is also stuck in the middle of the case when it should be positioned against the side panel to exhaust the hot air.

Your design is much more refined and well thought out!

Edit: significantly smaller too (4.8L versus 6.6L)

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
And it'll get pretty big too, around 6-7L.
I don't think it'll be "7L big". You'll be reducing 41mm from case lenght and NOT adding 41mm of height, since the LP GPU is smaller than the PSU, considering the same orientation.

The only downside that i can think about this layout right now is the reduced CPU cooler height.

I'm off a PC with CAD support right now, but i guess the overall volume wont increase that much and the case woulb be very interesting that way. Anyways, those are my 2¢. Cheers.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I don't think it'll be "7L big". You'll be reducing 41mm from case lenght and NOT adding 41mm of height, since the LP GPU is smaller than the PSU, considering the same orientation.

The only downside that i can think about this layout right now is the reduced CPU cooler height.

I'm off a PC with CAD support right now, but i guess the overall volume wont increase that much and the case woulb be very interesting that way. Anyways, those are my 2¢. Cheers.

You're right it doesn't actually cause an increase in size that much. But at that point you might as well add that above the motherboard instead. That way, you can have full size itx gpu.

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
It is certainly possible. I think I will camouflage with one of the vents. It'll be USB 3 though.

With the combination of Meanwell support, case fans in front of an LP 1050ti, and at least one side/front USB, this case would be an instant buy for me to downsize my HTPC. I'm definitely looking forward to the final configuration!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Okay, I'm here from the Stealth thread at @Thehack's recommendation. My first thought is that the feature set is similar to the Lazer3d HT5 (not to be construed as anything more or less than an observation). Can you help walk me through how this would be differentiated from the HT5? From looking at them, I can see your PSU support is increased since you natively support Flex ATX. The Pure XL has just a smidgen (1.5 cm?) less front-to-back length seemingly and just a hair less height (which seems to play itself out in cooler height 70mm vs 72mm which I don't think makes any effective difference). Metal vs acrylic construction. Both claim 4x 80mm fans (on Pure XL, are 2x fans not compatible with Flex ATX installation?). I'm trying to suss out the effective differences in terms of application. Both feature a living room aesthetic (different living rooms to be sure). I'd probably feel more comfortable transporting the metal case of the Pure XL. Do you have any thoughts about possible use cases?

I really am liking the direction. As you said to me in the Stealth thread, this case would probably have an acceptable amount of tradeoff between CPU and GPU vs. the Stealth for my brother's needs. Heavy computing and light gaming vs light computing and heavy gaming. That said, he may prefer the opposite when asked. I hope I didn't miss it, but would the prototype for the Pure XL be on a similar timetable as the Stealth?

Total aside: does anyone think that Navi has a strong chance of including LP options? I'd love to have my cake and eat it too with respect to video card horsepower.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Okay, I'm here from the Stealth thread at @Thehack's recommendation. My first thought is that the feature set is similar to the Lazer3d HT5 (not to be construed as anything more or less than an observation). Can you help walk me through how this would be differentiated from the HT5? From looking at them, I can see your PSU support is increased since you natively support Flex ATX. The Pure XL has just a smidgen (1.5 cm?) less front-to-back length seemingly and just a hair less height (which seems to play itself out in cooler height 70mm vs 72mm which I don't think makes any effective difference). Metal vs acrylic construction. Both claim 4x 80mm fans (on Pure XL, are 2x fans not compatible with Flex ATX installation?). I'm trying to suss out the effective differences in terms of application. Both feature a living room aesthetic (different living rooms to be sure). I'd probably feel more comfortable transporting the metal case of the Pure XL. Do you have any thoughts about possible use cases?

I really am liking the direction. As you said to me in the Stealth thread, this case would probably have an acceptable amount of tradeoff between CPU and GPU vs. the Stealth for my brother's needs. Heavy computing and light gaming vs light computing and heavy gaming. That said, he may prefer the opposite when asked. I hope I didn't miss it, but would the prototype for the Pure XL be on a similar timetable as the Stealth?

Total aside: does anyone think that Navi has a strong chance of including LP options? I'd love to have my cake and eat it too with respect to video card horsepower.

You will find more similarities than you would find differences between the two cases but these are the ones, some of which you already mentioned:

• FLEX support (internal PSU removes 2x 80mm fan)
  • Meanwell 200W/400W support
  • Smaller, approximately 4.5L currently (subject to change)
  • Currently 75mm cooler clearance
  • 140/120mm intake fan mounting
  • tentative USB C port

I don't think we will be getting a LP navi. All the speculation suggests it'll be a mid-range card (1070-1080 performance). AMD releases GPUs at a slower rate but I'll be happy to be wrong.

Reactions: annasoh323

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

RE: low profile

I just read Anandtech's 1660ti review. It's performing at the levels of a 1070 with 20-30w less power draw. I think maybe that means with this new generation they can get 1060 levels of performance into a 75w part, assuming the chip/die is the right size for cramming/packaging something like that.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
You will find more similarities than you would find differences between the two cases but these are the ones, some of which you already mentioned:

• FLEX support (internal PSU removes 2x 80mm fan)
  • Meanwell 200W/400W support
  • Smaller, approximately 4.5L currently (subject to change)
  • Currently 75mm cooler clearance
  • 140/120mm intake fan mounting
  • tentative USB C port

I don't think we will be getting a LP navi. All the speculation suggests it'll be a mid-range card (1070-1080 performance). AMD releases GPUs at a slower rate but I'll be happy to be wrong.
You're hard at work on this one, I see! Really good to see those features being considered/trying to fit them in.
RE: low profile

I just read Anandtech's 1660ti review. It's performing at the levels of a 1070 with 20-30w less power draw. I think maybe that means with this new generation they can get 1060 levels of performance into a 75w part, assuming the chip/die is the right size for cramming/packaging something like that.
I'll have to go check that out. Of course, if Turing is as short-lived as some say it will be (architecture shift on their way to 7nm) I wonder if they'd consider trying to fill in the low-power end. Maybe seeing successful AMD mobile graphics for laptops and such will encourage nVidia to aim there too?
Aside: what would we call the new low power card? 1550Ti?

EDIT: Just saw this Techspot article in my feed. Rumored 1660 and 1650 models to follow the 1660Ti which launched today. 1650 rumored to be 75W part. We'll see how it goes and if it can find its footing against its predecessors.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If there is a 75W part, it may perform 20-25% 1050 ti, if nvidia decides to put out a chip at that level.

A decent update. Though 7nm is where it's at.

Last edited:

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
If there is a 75W part, it may perform 20-25% 1050 ti, if nvidia decides to put out a chip at that level.

A decent update. Though 7nm is where it's at.
That seems a fair speculation. I guess I'll have to see what the market is doing when my brother's laptop eventually dies <rubs hands gleefully>
Excellent design! I wanna do a future project with this case.
Neat! Anything in particular in mind?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I'm leaning towards going with this case at some point. The programs I use require CPU and RAM performance, but I also want it to be portable. The GPU is not as important, I just need 10-bit colour (I do art/design).

If I was building it now I would be using:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4
Asus ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB
Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB NVME
Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB NVME
Flex ATX
PNY Quadro P1000
2X Noctua NF-A8 PWM

On that note would the GEEEK modular flex ATX units fit in the Pure XL?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm leaning towards going with this case at some point. The programs I use require CPU and RAM performance, but I also want it to be portable. The GPU is not as important, I just need 10-bit colour (I do art/design).

If I was building it now I would be using:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4
Asus ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB
Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB NVME
Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB NVME
Flex ATX
PNY Quadro P1000
2X Noctua NF-A8 PWM

On that note would the GEEEK modular flex ATX units fit in the Pure XL?

Yeah. The Geeek psu is just a modified standard flex psu.

I would swap out the L9 for the L12 or the big shuriken 3 instead.

Right now there is not a lot of interest. After the release of Stealth chassis, I will see if it is feasible to do a small run. Lone industries is also probably producing the L5 this year, so there less demand for this design.

Ideally I would need about 15-20 orders to make a small run.