Stalled Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Assuming the additional bracket is critical (I noticed one of your earlier layouts didn't have one), why not use a pair of right angle brackets instead?

The bracket comes optionally only on some FlexATX psus, so it is not critical. But the choice of making Hutzy XS compatible had no downside, it was an easy decision

Note that the orientation in which the top cover comes off has no standard. For example, if you look at @iFreilicht's photoshoot of the FSP500 here, you notice the FSP500's top cover comes off on the opposite side of the FSP400

In that case, if someone had the FSP500 and wanted to perform the same mod as you did on your FSP400, they would have the correct orientation for Hutzy XS. So the only way to accommodate the "remove top cover" mod for all FlexATX would be to make the back cutout allow both orientations like the Freilite Brevis S.

Which, sadly, I can't do for Hutzy XS, because the material around that area is also quite critical to the structural integrity of the piece.

Edit:

Having said all that to justify the orientation, it might be in vain. Because one of the problems with manufacturing right now is that the opening of the power connector is too close to the bend, causing that bend to fail. So I might have to rotate the power supply around to move the connector cutout higher into the surface, away from the bend.

Last edited:
Reactions: makiasd

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
Is it possible to move the button to the top of the case without interfering with motherboard components/cooler/GPU ? I believe it's a more accessible place.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Is it possible to move the button to the top of the case without interfering with motherboard components/cooler/GPU ? I believe it's a more accessible place.

Yup in my testing the power button being so far down wasn't very convenient. In the latest layout (see first post), the power button is at the top, above the GPU's 131mm keep-out zone. I'm trying to fit a 16mm anti-vandal there as opposed to a 12mm

Reactions: hardcore_gamer

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
(see first post)

Hot damn, that render is looking awesome. Didn't even know you updated it. It looks like you could even put the button on the top panel as opposed to the rear. Would make it even easier to access.

I'm trying to fit a 16mm anti-vandal there as opposed to a 12mm

And would also solve this problem ;)

Reactions: Hahutzy

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Yea that render's fresh out of the oven :)

It's tougher to put it at the top than the back, because the button + wiring assembly is longer than its diameter (~19mm including the hex nut), and the space constraint is much more in height than length

The button in that render is already 16mm though, with a few mm to spare :thumb:

Last edited:
Reactions: hardcore_gamer

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Is this case going to be sold at some point?

Yes. I will be making a production run when I sort out the manufacturing consistency problems. It will be on some kind of crowdfunding platform.

Reactions: NRG

Vingles

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 5, 2016
That rendering looks very nice. What software do you use to do render that? Also do you use SketchUp to do the 3-D modeling work? I'm new to the whole Case-Designing-Building scene. Just saw your work from sffpc over reddit. :)

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
That rendering looks very nice. What software do you use to do render that? Also do you use SketchUp to do the 3-D modeling work? I'm new to the whole Case-Designing-Building scene. Just saw your work from sffpc over reddit. :)

Thanks! I use Sketchup for brainstorming ideas and Solidworks heavy duty modelling and rendering.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Hey guys, I want to gauge interest between Black, Silver and White finishes on Hutzy XS.

Black and Silver are all anodized, no powder coat. This gives it a less reflective, more grainy (but subtle) finish

White is powdercoated on, so it is glossy like automotive paint. And reflects light like a white car would basically.

I have the renders and the link to the poll in the Front Post

Remember, the poll is multiple choice; pick all the ones you like! Thanks!

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Wonderful project, I'm very much looking forward to these being available. Do you have an idea of how good cooling would be on its side (on 10 mm feet for example)? I know in your early benchmarks you saw a significant difference with the GPU 2 inches from a wall, do you think CPU side down would be better?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Wonderful project, I'm very much looking forward to these being available. Do you have an idea of how good cooling would be on its side (on 10 mm feet for example)? I know in your early benchmarks you saw a significant difference with the GPU 2 inches from a wall, do you think CPU side down would be better?

Thanks!

I haven't done extensive testing of it laying horizontal, but I have tried it with both the GPU and CPU side down with 10mm feet for a short period.

Overall the temps are worse than standing up. But if you must lay it horizontally, then the CPU side on bottom is definitely the way to go.