Stalled Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
Out of curiosity, if flex-atx and 2.5" SSD compatibility was removed how small would the case be with just the hdplex and m.2 SSD? Under 3.5 litres?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Dropping the PSU at 40mm would presumably make the case 181 x 181 x 100 or 3.3L no?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
A little update. No big news on prototype 2 just yet. I checked in with the manufacturer this past week and they're still working on it but not done (they've got a busy schedule with other projects as well, bummer).

On another front, I'm prepping to go on vacation for a few weeks. So I get to bring prototype 1 with me on the plane!

Some of you may have heard weeks ago about me getting a camera bag and test fitting it with Hutzy XS
And it fits perfectly! Here's how I will be carrying it:

Last edited:

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
I'm back from my travels! The XS went through security check of 3 different countries across 2 continents without a hitch. It it just powered-down electronics akin to a Playstation or Xbox after all; I was worried over nothing.

Worth noting is that the SATA cable did pop off from my SSD so I had to open up XS to reattach it. I want to make some improvements in that regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Good to hear ! A SATA cable with a latch should fix the issue, unless with "SATA port" you mean the physical port on the device that's soldered to the PCB.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Good to hear ! A SATA cable with a latch should fix the issue, unless with "SATA port" you mean the physical port on the device that's soldered to the PCB.

Whoops I mean the SATA cable's connector into the SSD. It does have a latch, but it seems like the SSD side doesn't have any ledge for the latch to snap into.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Whoops I mean the SATA cable's connector into the SSD. It does have a latch, but it seems like the SSD side doesn't have any ledge for the latch to snap into.

What SSD are you using? The standard absolutely requires the notch to be in the connector for latches to work properly, a device-side connector that doesn't have that isn't SATA compliant, it's only optional on the cable. Maybe they loosened that requirement at some point, though.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Samsung 840 Pro

and the SATA cable's latches looks like this one (the straight one, not angled)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That's weird, I have the 850 right here and a similar cable and I'd say that connection is rock solid. It could be that the latch can come loose with strong vibrations because of the relatively long lever.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Maybe the plastic lip onto which the sata connector latches is worn down on my 840. I tried several different sata cables, and don't hear the same "click" sound as I do when I try the same cables on my old 2.5" mechanical drives

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That is very possible. Internal SATA is only required to withstand 50 insertion cycles, and while I suspect the pins themselves and the mold surrounding them to be capable of much more than that, the metal-on-plastic latching connection can wear out a lot quicker.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Short Update: Running into a snag in the scaling of manufacturing the case. The current fab is having a hard time forming the XS consistently. I'm working with my current fab and looking for other fabs to see how I can resolve this ASAP.

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
Short Update: Running into a snag in the scaling of manufacturing the case. The current fab is having a hard time forming the XS consistently. I'm working with my current fab and looking for other fabs to see how I can resolve this ASAP.
Does this mean that realistically we're looking more at a 2017 Q1 delivery?

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
About the PSU, i was wondering why you chose to orient it so that the side with the labelling faces up. I got my own FSP400-60FGGBA and i removed the non-label side by unscrewing 4 screws. I don't ever hear the 40mm spin up anymore (6700k 4.5ghz and gtx1070). If you flipped the PSU orientation you could just remove the side instead of drilling holes into it (voiding warranty) and I reckon airflow from the cpu fan would be enough for the 40mm not to spin up.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
About the PSU, i was wondering why you chose to orient it so that the side with the labelling faces up. I got my own FSP400-60FGGBA and i removed the non-label side by unscrewing 4 screws. I don't ever hear the 40mm spin up anymore (6700k 4.5ghz and gtx1070). If you flipped the PSU orientation you could just remove the side instead of drilling holes into it (voiding warranty) and I reckon airflow from the cpu fan would be enough for the 40mm not to spin up.

It's because there is, in fact, an unofficial standard orientation for FlexATX PSUs, based on the manufacturers' choice of which way the additional bracket is installed in the front (fan-side in the picture below)

Note that in the above picture, at the end of the fan-side of the PSU there is an additional bracket that secures the PSU on a different axis. That bracket is only usable when the PSU is orientated where the power connector is on the left side when viewed from the back.

Of all the bracket installations I've seen, it is consistently in this orientation.

Last edited:

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
It's because there is, in fact, an unofficial standard orientation for FlexATX PSUs, based on the manufacturers' choice of which way the additional bracket is installed in the front (fan-side in the picture below)

Note that in the above picture, at the end of the fan-side of the PSU there is an additional bracket that secures the PSU on a different axis. That bracket is only usable when the PSU is orientated where the power connector is on the left side when viewed from the back.

Of all the bracket installations I've seen, it is consistently in this orientation.

Assuming the additional bracket is critical (I noticed one of your earlier layouts didn't have one), why not use a pair of right angle brackets instead?