Stalled Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
Also worth noting is that the C14 connector, mounting holes, and dimensions of this power supply all do not conform to FlexATX standards.

I can't find its dimensions from their website.

Edit: What's the airflow requirement for a 400W FlexATX PSU ?
Scythe Mini KAZE ULTRA provides 4.86 CFM at 19.56 dBA!

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That's going to need a >10000 rpm fan :( .

Talking about FSP 500, are they going to release a version with -12V rail?

Exactly 10000, I think. But you'll only need that at full load, that's why I'd recommend using the FSP500 for a system load of 300W, not full 500, unless doing a fan-mod.

I have nothing to share on that front yet, sorry. Tomorrow is my last chance on trying it out myself before going on vacation, hopefully I'll find time to do it.

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
Tat's why I'd recommend using the FSP500 for a system load of 300W, not full 500, unless doing a fan-mod.
I have nothing to share on that front yet, sorry. Tomorrow is my last chance on trying it out myself before going on vacation, hopefully I'll find time to do it.

That makes sense. Even a 95W CPU + fastest mITX card (GTX 1070) should draw <300W if not overclocked. It'll be interesting to see the noise levels at this power draw.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!

So I received my XS prototype v1 just over a month ago.
Since then, I've shown it to you guys fully built. I also showed it to dozens of friends and family, and there's always one recurring "the thing is though.."
Which is that it looks too "boxy", "blocky", "like a toaster", "is that a heater?"

I thought about this for a while, and decided I really wanted to make XS stand out in some ways and look less "big rectangle prism-y", while still keeping it minimalistic looking.

Over the past two weeks, I explored different designs, and finally decided on going with one and started drawing it out fully.
The major design element compared to proto v1 is changing the parts arrangement to allow the front panel to have large, rounded corners going into the sides. This allows the front and top of the case to look more smoothed out instead of the current blocky edges.

Important aside: To all those that took the time to review my vent designs and voted on the polls, I am truly sorry!!
Moving forward, I will be using a vent design that my current manufacturer can cut without warping the metal sheets.

"Wait Hahutzy, what happened to finding a new manu for that sweet, sweet Hexagon vent?"
For those of you who have followed my thread(blog?) for long enough, you've heard me say before that the manufacturers in my area have been terrible at responding to low-volume projects such as the XS.
Over the past month, I've been tirelessly looking for manufacturers with waterjet capabilities (one of the few ways to cut those hexagons without warping the alu), and long story short -- either there's no response, or the quote given back to me for price per unit is ridiculous, and way past what I want end-users to pay.

At this point, I really don't want to delay indefinitely to try to find another manufacturer anymore.
So, I decided to buckle down and just make the most out of the capabilities of my current manufacturer.
With that in mind, here is what I'm throwing at my manu this coming Monday to see if the design is a "go" or "needs a few minor adjustments"

Bonus: an advantage of the new design is it could make for really nice 2-tone color setups. There's no plans for that currently, but I am keeping it in mind.

So this is where I stand today. How much will the design change due to manufacturing processes? I'm not sure. I expect very minimal, if at all. I am sending in the design files to my manufacturer and will be working with them in the coming weeks to produce prototype v2. Really looking forward to seeing the results, because I am quite satisfied with the revamped look of Hutzy XS :)

-Hahutzy

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Huge improvement in aesthetics. I've got to be honest, your original design was pretty bland. Also it looked so much like the Lone Industries L1/2/3 that I felt you were kinda stealing James' look. While I realize the changes aren't huge, the softer lines and curves of the case gives it a much more elegant look. I'd seriously consider buying a case from you now, whereas I wouldn't have previous to this revision.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I liked the look of the case before, but I definitely prefer this new design, I think it looks more 'finished product'.

Looking forward to seeing the next prototype.

Reactions: Hahutzy

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Looks great!

And if anyone gives you grief about the new design looking like a Lian Li or Jonsbo case, I've been down this road and having the chamfer/rounds on the sides of the front panel is really the only feasible place given the manufacturing processes used for these small run SFF cases.

Either that or you come up with some convoluted frame and panel design or do a wraparound frame like the DAN A4-SFX.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Looks great!

And if anyone gives you grief about the new design looking like a Lian Li or Jonsbo case, I've been down this road and having the chamfer/rounds on the sides of the front panel is really the only feasible place given the manufacturing processes used for these small run SFF cases.

Either that or you come up with some convoluted frame and panel design or do a wraparound frame like the DAN A4-SFX.

Thanks! Yea on top of that, adding an internal frame would've added volume. The whole ordeal limits what I can do to some degree.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I agree, this is a nice facelift from the last design. It may also be the painted colors, but the case looks 'warmer' now. The diagonal hole motif carries over well to the back panel.

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
I made a slight revision to the back vents and went with a thicker cutout:

Here's the old one for comparison:
Doesn't the psu have its own fan grill? I feel that you could just leave a big hole matching the approx. position of the grill...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
ASRock X99E-ITX/ac MB
Intel i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-core 3.3GHz CPU
Dynatron T318 copper / vapor chamber CPU cooler (27mm height)
Cryorig XT140 140mm slim PWM fan (13mm height)
G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB DIMMs) SDRAM DDR4 2133 CAS 15
Intel 600p 512GB M.2 / PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 mITX OC GPU

Maximum power draw (according to PCPartsPicker) would be about 364 watts…

6 cores / 12 threads, 16GB RAM, a 512GB NVMe system drive AND a GTX 1070 in a sub-4 liter package…?!?

Yes, please…!

So, thoughts towards overall chassis temps & such…?

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM to mount the CPU cooler & to replace the stock TIM on the GPU…

(…zip ties to secure 140mm fan to the CPU heat sink, jut like in the A4-SFX X99 build-up…)

Last edited: