Stalled Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

Ketchup

Trash Compacter
Jul 13, 2016
So, why would one use an HDPlex instead of the Flex ATX? Is it because it create less heat and use less space? Because it's a lot more expensive (HDPlex + brick) from what I understand and unless you have a brick that's powerful enough, you might not get enough power depending on your setup.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
The biggest advantage is noise because the HDPLEX and the brick are both passive.

The biggest disadvantage is it might not have enough power for your setup.

In the particular scenario for Hutzy XS, the HDPLEX should also create enough room to fit 3x 2.5" 7mm SSDs instead of 1.

I will be test fitting everything these few days.

Last edited:

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
I have to wait until tomorrow to take apart the metal prototype, but I was dying to test the mounting of the HDPLEX, so I pulled out the 3D printed part again.

Fitting looks good! There's about the same clearance between the HDD and the DC connector when compared to my drawings :thumb:

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
I tried on the hexagons, but instead of sharp edges, I rounded them out a little bit.

Gotta say, it looks nice to me. I might redo the poll with all 3 options.

Also included is a picture of the patterns with a filter secured underneath it, which was not shown in the current poll's pictures.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Oh, this reminds me of way back when the Dan A4 prototype supported only HD-PLEX for power. I do like that using that power setup lets you add two additional hard drives.

Also, I like pattern A the most with B coming in a close second.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
It can hold up to 1x 2.5" 9.5mm + 2x 2.5" 7mm

I ran out of SSDs so I used 2x 2.5" 9.5mm mechanical drives in my pic :p

Reactions: iFreilicht

daedos

Caliper Novice
Jun 11, 2016
Pattern A, then B if the triangles are flipped. If you need any more inspiration Project Orthrus on HardForum is looking very tasty.

Still sure you could find room for a USB port or two on the front :p.

BTW how the hard drives mounted? Looks like they just 'sit' there.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
I tried on the HDPLEX with the build today, and took some shots of different configs that the XS can be built as:

1) Normal CPU+GPU+Flex setup with 1x SSD

2) Replace Flex with DC-DC supply, and you get space for 1x 9.5mm + 2x 7mm drives

Note the screwed-in lid to cap off the Flex connector cutout (it's black because the case will be black)

External power brick plugged in to test fit the plug-in cutout

3) Put the Flex back in, replace the GPU with a 3.5" HDD for a NAS build

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but what thickness is the sheet metal for your case?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
I will be revving up to contact manus to make the second prototype.

To recap, here's the results of the 2 polls:
vent poll 2
vent poll

It will be with the Hex pattern, as it leads by a fair margin in the poll, and it was my personal favorite as well out of the 3.

Here's the newest renders!

Let me know if you have any angles you want for more renders!

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Pretty much perfectly. The critical dimensions are the 7 inches, as the Hutzy XS is 7.126in long, but width is fine and with height you'd probably have spare room for a mouse and a few other goodies.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015