Power Supply HDPlex AC-DC and DC-DC combo

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The 250W should handle 300W comfortably anyways, so I wouldn't worry. The only major difference I am aware of is that the placement of headers is different than in previous generations of the PSU.

Reactions: FreezingCode

FreezingCode

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2016
I'll keep my fingers crossed then... if it's the 300 it'll be a nice bonus. As far as I know it hasn't shipped yet, and the site currently only listing the new 300 with estimate ship date of Jan 5 I believe.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
So the width has increased a bit to allow for more heatsinking. The final dimensions of the 300W AC-DC adapter are 62mm x 41mm x 146mm (WxHxL).

And Larry said I should be getting a review unit sometime in February so presumably retail release will be around the same timeframe.

Any idea of the retail price ?

I have the choice between coupling two of these bricks or get a SilverStone SFX SX600-G / Corsair SF600 for 120/130 €.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Full dimensions:

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So that puts the combo at 153.00 USD. About on par with a higher end SFX-L which isn't too bad I guess.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Thanks for the model, Aibophobia. I may add details according to the technical drawing and upload it if I have the time and if that's okay with you.

This can help me think ahead of using even more powerful GPUs for my custom case and plan accordingly. Like others have said, I have gripes about the width (62mm) being a bit too large. As it's just 1.5mm less than 63.5mm (2.5 inches) which is the external thickness of the S4 mini case. You'd really have to mod the interior shell with some cutouts to make it fit properly.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You can if you want though I'll basically remodel it from scratch once I have one to measure anyway.

If you do decide to add more detail, PM me the model so I can upload it as an update rather than having duplicate entries in the Resources section.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You'd really have to mod the interior shell with some cutouts to make it fit properly.

Alternatively you could just file the cooling fins on the side down until it fits and save your case.

Looking at the detailed spec drawings, the fins add 4mm to either side. You could hypothetically take the unit down to 54mm without compromising the inner structural part of the case. I find myself wondering if you could just place a thermal pad underneath and make up the difference in heat managment by heat sinking the case.

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
As the adapter is now due for May, we still have time to ask Larry if going back to the original 56 mm height is possible.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've already emailed him about this. I'd personally prefer to see the unit ship with a big ol thermal pad with the intention of sinking on whatever case it is in.

As an alternative how would people feel about another 4 mm in height? I would think lengthwise fins over 56mm in width would dissipate approximately the same amount of heat as the two sides.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
I've already emailed him about this. I'd personally prefer to see the unit ship with a big ol thermal pad with the intention of sinking on whatever case it is in.

As an alternative how would people feel about another 4 mm in height? I would think lengthwise fins over 56mm in width would dissipate approximately the same amount of heat as the two sides.

Personally would much prefer the additional height, even if more than 4mm.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Alternatively you could just file the cooling fins on the side down until it fits and save your case.

Looking at the detailed spec drawings, the fins add 4mm to either side. You could hypothetically take the unit down to 54mm without compromising the inner structural part of the case. I find myself wondering if you could just place a thermal pad underneath and make up the difference in heat managment by heat sinking the case.

Yeah, that's another option to file down the fins. You'd need about 5mm off from the width to fit inside the chassis interior.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Quick question - we're talking about this unit fitting into the NFC S4 mini as though it is going to be commonly used in that scenario. The only way this has a hope of working in the S4 mini is with a 15cm long or low profile CPU. The only cards at present that fit this definition are 1050ti variants and the R9 Nano. In the case of the 1050ti, one could easily use the 160W version of the AC-DC adapter. With respect to the Nano, 300W is probably marginal for it anyways and the thermals last I checked were just awful in something as constrained as the S4 mini. I know I am the one that sent Larry an email about changing fins around, but in retrospect I just want to make sure we're not bitching and moaning about the size just because we'd like it to be smaller for smallness' sake.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Good point. And if it's like the 160W, the internal components are heatsinked to the sides of the casing, so having the fins there would make the most sense.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So the official answer is that in the previous iteration of the 250W where they used a simple thin shell around the componentry, heat reached undesirable levels within 30 minutes of stress testing. While the unit is ~92% efficient, that still means it has about 20-30W of heat to dissipate as it approaches full load (which is where most of us intend to use it, let's be honest). Adding the fins has given them adequate dissipation capacity to keep the power supply fully passive. Hopefully this means thermal problems would be even less likely to occur is the unit is actively cooled.

Short answer is the fins are here to stay.