Power Supply HDPlex AC-DC and DC-DC combo

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've not had any info from Larry about the unit your developing with him. The only upcoming products I've personally talked with him about are:

160W DirectPlug (PicoPSU-style unit, w/ 200W actual wattage)

Pre-production unit, retail units will have black PCB, correctly-sized heatsink, etc.

250W AC-DC (internal alternative to a traditional power brick)

Old picture, I think the casing has changed slightly since

300W DC-ATX (the 250W upgraded to support 50W more)

Connectors also repositioned

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
The direct plug has the same 4-pin connector as the other DC-ATX units they make and last I saw the 250W had the same 4-pin connector so all their AC-DC and DC-ATX units should be interchangeable as far as connectors go.

Good to hear, though my quick sketchup mock up suggests that the AC-DC unit would be a little too large to fit in the s4 mini unfortunately.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You can fit the AC-DC unit inside one of two ways. Firstly you can use an LP 1050ti (which should be released shortly) in the configuration I used with that 950 LP. The alternative is to use one of the extra short (150mm) 1050ti units from eVGA or Zotac and attach the AC-DC on the inside front panel of the case. Either way will work nicely.

Reactions: Soul_Est

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I've not had any info from Larry about the unit your developing with him. The only upcoming products I've personally talked with him about are:

300W DC-ATX (the 250W upgraded to support 50W more)

Connectors also repositioned

Unless I missed it, was there an eta on this? The redesign would fit much better in my new mod.

NotungX

Caliper Novice
Nov 3, 2016
Unless I missed it, was there an eta on this? The redesign would fit much better in my new mod.
I bought the current model around 10days ago. After a couple of days I was asked if I wanted it for the S4 mini because these new ones were almost in production. So I changed the order for the new design (same price) and I was told the shipping would be 1st or 2nd week of January. :-D

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I bought the current model around 10days ago. After a couple of days I was asked if I wanted it for the S4 mini because these new ones were almost in production. So I changed the order for the new design (same price) and I was told the shipping would be 1st or 2nd week of January. :-D

Great. Thanks!

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Are you thinking about something like this?

You can fit the AC-DC unit inside one of two ways. Firstly you can use an LP 1050ti (which should be released shortly) in the configuration I used with that 950 LP. The alternative is to use one of the extra short (150mm) 1050ti units from eVGA or Zotac and attach the AC-DC on the inside front panel of the case. Either way will work nicely.

Thanks guys! I clearly need to think more laterally.

Reactions: Soul_Est

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The 250W AC-DC internal PSU seems to be just what I'm looking for, although from that angle taken in the picture it looks like it's starting to approach Flex ATX size. It's still convenient when you need more quietness and better cable routing, though.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
According to ilovelampshade, dimensions are pretty much the same as the 160W unit.

If that's definitive, then I'll purchase both of them and chain my two 250W DC-DC boards with an Add2PSU PCB.

Reactions: CC Ricers

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Spoke to Larry today and the new 300W DC-DC is the same size as the 250W DC-DC, just with a slightly different layout and beefier components.

The HDplex 300W AC-DC is 56mm wide, 40 mm tall, and as of yet the length is not finalized.

Also for those who are interested in alternate inlets for the HDPlex AC-DC units, I received confirmation from Larry that 2 prong inlets and cables like the IEC 320 C8 are just fine.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Spoke to Larry today and the new 300W DC-DC is the same size as the 250W DC-DC, just with a slightly different layout and beefier components.

The HDplex 300W AC-DC is 56mm wide, 40 mm tall, and as of yet the length is not finalized.

Also for those who are interested in alternate inlets for the HDPlex AC-DC units, I received confirmation from Larry that 2 prong inlets and cables like the IEC 320 C8 are just fine.

So is the brick going to be 300 watts like the DC-DC or is it still going to be 250 watts.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016

Thanks for the info ! Any idea of the availability date ?

I do not know if it's the right thread to ask the question but would it be useful to watercool the HDPLEX 250W to ensure high efficiency rates in small cramped enclosures ?
What I mean by that is replacing the original heatsink by a mosfet waterblock :

Same question for the AC-DC unit, cooled with a hard drive cold plate for instance :

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So is the brick going to be 300 watts like the DC-DC or is it still going to be 250 watts.

The new internal AC-DC unit will still be 250W.

The DC-ATX was upgraded for S4 Mini users trying to run high-end hardware where the 250W DC-ATX was struggling under load.

@NotungX said earlier that it's expected to ship first week or two of January.

I do not know if it's the right thread to ask the question but would it be useful to watercool the HDPLEX 250W to ensure high efficiency rates in small cramped enclosures ?

They're both pretty efficient units so I'm not sure the benefit would outweigh the volume increase for the extra block, tubing, radiator, etc.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016

What I mean by that is replacing the original heatsink by a mosfet waterblock :

Same question for the AC-DC unit, cooled with a hard drive cold plate for instance :

Broken image links, mate. Do you mind reuping them?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
The new internal AC-DC unit will still be 250W.

The DC-ATX was upgraded for S4 Mini users trying to run high-end hardware where the 250W DC-ATX was struggling under load.
@NotungX said earlier that it's expected to ship first week or two of January.

I thought he was talking about the 300W AC-DC unit. Pretty confusing !
I asked Larry some time ago but he never answered. Being the most reactive person ever I guess he must be pretty busy with the new hardware line up.

@cleveland everything looks fine on my other computer.

mvr-40_p1-700x700.jpg
hd-60_p1-700x700.jpg

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

No safety issues at all, then, using current HDPlex AC-DC units with an unearthed outlet like C8 even though it is packed with a C14 inlet?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
He said that the current third doesn't attach to anything anyways so it's not a big deal?

NotungX

Caliper Novice
Nov 3, 2016
I think there was some confusion here. I was talking about ETA of the DC-DC unit and this is the email I got from Larry:

Hi,

Thanks for the waiting. Here is the sample picture of the HDPLEX 300W DC-ATX which will replace the 250W DC-ATX.

The two new beefy inductor will guarantee solid performance at 12V during high current application.

Base on our test, it can support 12V peak current at 30A with 25A continuous and has zero coil whine when running i7+GTX1070 platform.

It will be shipped to you around first week of Jan.

With the two pictures of the new DC-DC.