Power Supply HDPlex AC-DC and DC-DC combo

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Some good news. Got the measurements of what should be the production model of the HDPlex 250 and according to Larry it's 151.5mm*56mm*40.5mm. This means it is shorter than he'd originally planned and only added several millimeters in width. With the DC-DC 250 coming in at 150(L) x 51.5 (W) x 25 (H) mm, the total assembly will be only slightly larger than a Flex ATX (150mm x 80mm x 40mm) while having the clear advantages of modularity and no fan noise as well as being able to place the subunits apart from one another to give more flexibility in terms of build layouts.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
He said he just added some beefier components so the dimensions should be the same but I'm not 100%.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Now if there were a 450W version, that'd have my interest... but no such thing as of right now, and there will probably never be a need for such a power-dense box :p

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Will this be able to be used with the upcoming HDPlex direct plug? If so that could be quite an interesting option for lower power builds.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Wondering if there will be any internal AC-DC adapters that support 200w or beyond. That may make them prohibitively big, though- about as large as a Flex ATX power supply.

But one advantage I've always considered for having the adapter and DC PSU being seperate parts is that you can split the footprint across different areas of your case.

Reactions: aquelito

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Will this be able to be used with the upcoming HDPlex direct plug? If so that could be quite an interesting option for lower power builds.

The direct plug has the same 4-pin connector as the other DC-ATX units they make and last I saw the 250W had the same 4-pin connector so all their AC-DC and DC-ATX units should be interchangeable as far as connectors go.

Wondering if there will be any internal AC-DC adapters that support 200w or beyond. That may make them prohibitively big, though- about as large as a Flex ATX power supply.

That's what this thread is all about :p

HDPLEX has a 250W AC-DC unit in development that's just a bit bigger than their current 160W unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stumbler

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The problem with using the Direct plug with the HDPlex 300 is that the Direct plug cannot (I believe) use the 12V output from the 4 pin.

Aibo, is the new 250W board you're referencing a full solution with 24 pin ATX or meant to be used in conjunction with the Plugless?

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The naming is getting a bit confusing, I meant the new DirectPlug unit should be compatible with the upcoming 250W AC-DC unit.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah. I think you may be referencing the board I've asked Larry to make which would have a PCIe 8 pin, SATA 4 pin and a 4 pin flow through. The point of the flow through would be that using a 19V AC-DC would allow for Direct pass through to either the 200 Plugless or alternatively a barrel connector for NuC, Thin mITX or mSTX boards. It will also work as a stand alone power solution for eGPUs much like the Wolfe.