Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

Penguin

Trash Compacter
Jul 25, 2018
My external laptop brick died last week (still gives like 120W but not the 250W it used to) so now I am on the waiting train as well. The new batch is expected to be in germany around the 20th May. Would be sweet to see more builds posted here to see how people solved fitting the brick internally.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
My external laptop brick died last week (still gives like 120W but not the 250W it used to) so now I am on the waiting train as well. The new batch is expected to be in germany around the 20th May. Would be sweet to see more builds posted here to see how people solved fitting the brick internally.

What case are you using?

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
S4M. I know what the options are, but there have been very few pictures (at least in this thread) of builds with the brick mounted internally.
Check my build log post if you haven't to see more angles. I agree not many out there to look at though.

Reactions: Penguin

Freebo

Chassis Packer
Apr 4, 2019
So the last preorder data has now passed, I'm guessing I'll get some sort of notification when it's been shipped?

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018
So, my brickless build is complete.. custom short cables and GX12-3 connector without having to mod the case!
All seems good so far, but I have a question about these GX connectors.

I have noticed that most mains connectors are plastic? like the c8 and c14 the hdpex comes with, and I'm guessing that is because plastic is not conductive?

So my question is how safe is it to use a metal GX connector for mains on a metal case? is there a chance the case can become live? I'm scared of it been touched when turned on :/

Last edited:

boof

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2019
For those who have ordered, how long does it take to ship? I'm still waiting on an order from April and not sure if this is expected

Penguin

Trash Compacter
Jul 25, 2018
I ordered on May 10th and it shipped out on the 22nd from the Germany warehouse. You should get an email with the subject "Your HD Plex order has shipped" with shipping information. If you ordered in April and are EU based I'd contact HDPlex to check the status.

Reactions: boof

Freebo

Chassis Packer
Apr 4, 2019
I ordered mine with the DC part so says it was on back order for 28th May Batch, site hasnt changed so no idea if they got them in and just sending them out yet.

Reactions: boof

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
So has anyone attempted to 3D print some parts for this sucker to better "externalize" it?

Reactions: Bask06

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
So has anyone attempted to 3D print some parts for this sucker to better "externalize" it?
I haven't heard of anyone as of yet, I know I would certainly be interested in such a setup. I think it would be quite novel to use an external brick with a DAN-A4 and see what else I could cram into it :).

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
So, my brickless build is complete.. custom short cables and GX12-3 connector without having to mod the case!
All seems good so far, but I have a question about these GX connectors.

I have noticed that most mains connectors are plastic? like the c8 and c14 the hdpex comes with, and I'm guessing that is because plastic is not conductive?

So my question is how safe is it to use a metal GX connector for mains on a metal case? is there a chance the case can become live? I'm scared of it been touched when turned on :/

A 5.5/2.5 mm DC jack is partially metal, like the GX12.

Assuming you're using the 3rd connector for ground, then you should be safe, no? Maybe one of the electrical engineers among us can comment. I personally like your idea better than a C8, since it provides a ground.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
A 5.5/2.5 mm DC jack is partially metal, like the GX12.

Assuming you're using the 3rd connector for ground, then you should be safe, no? Maybe one of the electrical engineers among us can comment. I personally like your idea better than a C8, since it provides a ground.

The reason against metal casing is the possibility of shorting the contact inside the socket to its own outer casing with its own plug, which is often the case with some barrell jacks.

These barrel jacks inlet does have plastic casing, but their plug's outer is metal, and you'll find yourself shorting the contacts inside the plug just by inserting it at an angle.

Now aviation connectors like GX-12, mitigates this issue by having a plastic plug so they are miles better than barrel jacks.

But their metal casing is also a problem point if one puts a metal object inside the socket - not that IEC connectors are safe from this (duh) - that it can short them a bit easier than IEC's since a casing obviously have more surface area.

Reactions: Lone

kNUCkles

Chassis Packer
Aug 19, 2019
Just a heads up, my unit (November batch) feeds back significant noise into the AC circuit when running. Loud buzzing on tube DAC, impeded powerline LAN, the works.

A noise-filtering surge protector ameliorated the issue. Now it's just talking to itself.

Blakfetha

Caliper Novice
Aug 20, 2018
Just noticed the updated hdplex 400 AC-DC website
What are the differences between v1 and v2 apart from the larger energy storage caps?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Do you think watercooling the HDPLEX 400W with a chipset waterblock may be worth it ?
I am currently thinking of ways to do without the 40mm fan in my watercooled system.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Do you think watercooling the HDPLEX 400W with a chipset waterblock may be worth it ?
I am currently thinking of ways to do without the 40mm fan in my watercooled system.
Why do you think it needs to be liquid cooled or actively air cooled?? I think the majority of users are doing fine with passive airflow inside their case?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
My system should consume around 380W under load, close to the 400W.
Little worried about the life expectancy if run passively.

I'd like to know if the case of the HDPLEX AC-DC really acts as a heatsink, hence would benefit from watercooling.