Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

iaomw

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
That's odd, mine is cool as a cucumber at over 230W. Are there any other thermal sources that could account for the heat?

You know, it's over the GPU heatsink in S4 mini. I didn't test the PSU heat in open air, so maybe. I also didn't use the little fan, because my maximum power is only about 220W (GTX1066 with 65W i7). Strangely, when using the HDPLEX 400 PSU, my max power never jump over 190W. Probably my old PSU is very inefficient. But that doesn't explain the heat from HDPLEX.

I don't have thermometer or the fancy temperature gun, so I don't know how hot it is. Maybe it's just something 40 or 50 Celsius degrees.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
You know, it's over the GPU heatsink in S4 mini. I didn't test the PSU heat in open air, so maybe. I also didn't use the little fan, because my maximum power is only about 220W (GTX1066 with 65W i7). Strangely, when using the HDPLEX 400 PSU, my max power never jump over 190W. Probably my old PSU is very inefficient. But that doesn't explain the heat from HDPLEX.

I don't have thermometer or the fancy temperature gun, so I don't know how hot it is. Maybe it's just something 40 or 50 Celsius degrees.

Having even just a little airflow makes a hot difference. You should really install the fan to extend the life of the psu.

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018
What kind of specification are you talking about?

Connectors are never rated for "wattage." They're rated for voltage and current, which as far as I'm aware off, is well within "400W."

Most are rated for 5A. Assuming you're from NA with 120V:

400W / 120V = 3.3A

3.3A < 5A rating

So is it ok for uk? I notice my plug is 5A

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Do you guys use the fan aswell in the S4M, as it's already very tight without? And do you mount the ACDC first and then all the rest or like Josh mount the ACDC after the GPU? Thx

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
Do you guys use the fan aswell in the S4M, as it's already very tight without? And do you mount the ACDC first and then all the rest or like Josh mount the ACDC after the GPU? Thx

I am using the fan in mine, and I had everything already installed and just slid the AC-DC into place and mounted it.

Reactions: LFO

sparklepony

Average Stuffer
Jul 24, 2018
Odd question of the day..
Can someone describe how the packaging for the 400w adcd looks?

My unit has been stuck in a loop at the postal company in sweden for 3 days where it keeps getting incorrectly sorted, then sent back for sorting, and the only way to get it out of this loop according to their customer service is they need to go look for the package.
I told them it's probably brown, and the have the dimensions of it, but they are looking for more specifics (???)

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Odd question of the day..
Can someone describe how the packaging for the 400w adcd looks?

My unit has been stuck in a loop at the postal company in sweden for 3 days where it keeps getting incorrectly sorted, then sent back for sorting, and the only way to get it out of this loop according to their customer service is they need to go look for the package.
I told them it's probably brown, and the have the dimensions of it, but they are looking for more specifics (???)

It's wrapped in a white plastic shipping bag/sleeve.

Getting send back and forth is odd but not new to me... Larry send me the tracking code last week for the big batch to arrive in Germany and oddly enough it arrived in Germany and the got shipped to the UK a few hours later and then shipped back to Germany again...

Reactions: Curiosity

sparklepony

Average Stuffer
Jul 24, 2018
Thank you! This information helped them locate the package, and I will be picking it up later today. Now I have the whole easter to make it fit with a zotac 2060. I'll upload some photos once I have made it fit (or ruined psu and gpu trying).

Reactions: Curiosity

xeroriser

Efficiency Noob
New User
Nov 30, 2017
Does anybody know how to mount the fan on the hdplex? The 4 holes that align with the fan aren't actually screw holes so I don't know whats going on.

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018
Does anybody know how to mount the fan on the hdplex? The 4 holes that align with the fan aren't actually screw holes so I don't know whats going on.

I had to screw them in with a lot of force, I also found the bigger screws used for mounting it further back on s4m did not all work, on the top ones would not screw all the way in.. so am only using bottom two. Small index of what is what on bit of paper might be something worth adding

Chapeau

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 9, 2019
Can anyone take some pictures of their 8 pin PCIE cable for me?

I need the pinout for the board side in particular. Guess who made some magic smoke just now... :\

Chapeau

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 9, 2019
The board side is available on their website.

They have a full pinout diagram.
Interesting - I have a double wire in there. How did that happen?

Edit* You're correct. Pinout shown is board side. Guess I should take a break before doing my projects. :cool:

Last edited:

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
Lots of force with the rubber screws is necessary; essentially you are driving them, not threading them.

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
For anyone that is interested, the new HDPlex 200W AC-DC is now up on the HDPlex website with an anticipated arrival date of April 22nd. Same size/footprint as the previous 160W but with newer internals that match the ones inside the 400W AC-DC

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-200w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html

Interesting! With a 200W rating I assume it should perform a bit better than the old 160W? My GTX1060 build runs great using a Dell 330+Dynamo Mini. I was tempted by the 400W AC-DC but it's a bit too much money / effort to justify, while the 160W AC-DC seemed like it might be a bit of a bottleneck. This could be just right!

Chapeau

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 9, 2019
Got my 400W AC-DC Adapter and 400W HDPLEX DC-ATX. It's currently sitting in my old Obsidian 250 D, powering a (mildly) overclocked I7- 3770K, on an Asus P8Z77-I MOBO. An Asus GTX 1070 Turbo, (also mildly overclocked).
Apparently the Fan, on the AC-DC adapter, is meant to go on the AC input side, however the 2 pin cable is too short. I was emailing with Larry and he was very helpful. I think this oversight might be do the the quick revision to the last batch of AC-DC adapters. I'm currently stress testing so we'll see how things are an hour from now. I'll probably order a Noctua 40mm fan to replace the adapters; I can't really fault Larry because lots of things can go wrong with design when there's sudden revisions or more important quality issues. Also take note: when installing the fan with the rubber screws, you need to use a substantial amount of force to drive them into there respective holes. The holes for the fan on the adapter are not threaded.

I don't suppose Larry mentioned anything about the specification of the included fan?
- Now that I'm up and running, I'll probably replace mine as well.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
This is what I did before:

Eventually went away with it, because I made it with 2 mm space between them and it bulges behind my gpu and touching the side panel (S4M-C). If it was 1 mm it would've been fine.

I can't remember why I didn't just use a straight bracket, might feared the bracket touching the gpu and shorted some leads...

Just wondering if it's safe that the bottom drive is touching the GPU?
I ordered large thermal pads as a safety measure but since it's easy to pinch a hole in them I thought to ask first.

I tried sliding a sheet of paper between the HDD & the GPU and it's very tight but there is a gap... read... a very small gap in between them.

Cheers!

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Just wondering if it's safe that the bottom drive is touching the GPU?
I ordered large thermal pads as a safety measure but since it's easy to pinch a hole in them I thought to ask first.

I tried sliding a sheet of paper between the HDD & the GPU and it's very tight but there is a gap... read... a very small gap in between them.

Cheers!

It was fine for me, I mean - no circuit on that side so it should be. And modern pcbs (on the gpu side) are coated. I was just cautious if I'd made straight brackets the edges could be sharp enough to scratch them

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
The fan is very quiet for what it's worth. I have mine installed up front because there's only the one connection for the fan. It's pulling cool air from the front slot. If I had higher wattage components I might have it push out the back but everything has been fine.