Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

Chapeau

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 9, 2019

I tried installing in a ghost s1, doesn't quite fit. back to SFX PSU for this one!
at the moment the AC-DC and DC-ATX is just hanging there. just to test this out.

I'm getting coil whine even not under heavy load.
I ordered 3 sets in case of this, so I'll try my other ones...

What hardware are you running using your HDPlex units?
- I have the same situation in my Ghost. Was hoping to have the AC/DC unit on the GPU side but it looks like it's going to be mounted under the desk after all.

Protools

Average Stuffer
Oct 10, 2018
What hardware are you running using your HDPlex units?
- I have the same situation in my Ghost. Was hoping to have the AC/DC unit on the GPU side but it looks like it's going to be mounted under the desk after all.
This rig is on i5-9600k, ASRock Z390 itx phantom, 16*2 GB VLP RAM, GIGABYTE 1080.
I don't think the AC-DC unit will fit vertically without any mods.

Reactions: Chapeau

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
I finally got my HDPlex (Germany) :)

Congrats! My status got updated on Wednesday, this morning turned over from DHL to B-Post...
I just checked and it just arrived in my country and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow!!!
Finally I can built this thing!

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018
Mine will be delivered tomorrow.

Can someone tell me if it matters what pins you solder on with the GX12? as long as they mach on other side does it matter?

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
For anyone that is interested, the new HDPlex 200W AC-DC is now up on the HDPlex website with an anticipated arrival date of April 22nd. Same size/footprint as the previous 160W but with newer internals that match the ones inside the 400W AC-DC

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-200w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html

Interestingly, it alludes to a new 200w DC-ATX plugin unit. While the current 160w unit can peak at 200w, I'm assuming the reference is for a new product. Very exciting stuff coming out of HDPlex

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Can someone tell me if it matters what pins you solder on with the GX12? as long as they mach on other side does it matter?

GX12 is not rated for 400W and above.

i would not recommend it.

either use a stepdrill, to make the circular hole 16mm for GX16, or use a C6 connector, to get a grounded power connection.

Reactions: 19NinetySix

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018

either use a stepdrill, to make the circular hole 16mm for GX16, or use a C6 connector, to get a grounded power connection.

Thanks, will use the GX16 with stepdrill, but does it matter which pins the ground is on? or is it all the same as long as the match on each side?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

What kind of specification are you talking about?

Connectors are never rated for "wattage." They're rated for voltage and current, which as far as I'm aware off, is well within "400W."

Most are rated for 5A. Assuming you're from NA with 120V:

400W / 120V = 3.3A

3.3A < 5A rating

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
Got my 400W AC-DC Adapter and 400W HDPLEX DC-ATX. It's currently sitting in my old Obsidian 250 D, powering a (mildly) overclocked I7- 3770K, on an Asus P8Z77-I MOBO. An Asus GTX 1070 Turbo, (also mildly overclocked).
Apparently the Fan, on the AC-DC adapter, is meant to go on the AC input side, however the 2 pin cable is too short. I was emailing with Larry and he was very helpful. I think this oversight might be do the the quick revision to the last batch of AC-DC adapters. I'm currently stress testing so we'll see how things are an hour from now. I'll probably order a Noctua 40mm fan to replace the adapters; I can't really fault Larry because lots of things can go wrong with design when there's sudden revisions or more important quality issues. Also take note: when installing the fan with the rubber screws, you need to use a substantial amount of force to drive them into there respective holes. The holes for the fan on the adapter are not threaded.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
My unit arrived yesterday, I was surprised how lightweight it is.

I'm still tinkering what cable connector will be the easiest to de'solder and re-solder on my GX-16-3. Both look simple enough though, but would like to sleeve it as-well up to the ACDC itself, but I'm not sure if the white connectors are easy to de'pin without a de'pin tool.

Thanks, will use the GX16 with stepdrill, but does it matter which pins the ground is on? or is it all the same as long as the match on each side?

Usually the top/middle pin is used for ground. Also if you have some heat-shrink, use them to keep the connections separated, safe and clean.

Quick tip, use some tape to protect the case when using the step-drill, and some tape on the drill itself to mark how deep you should drill. If you can get the cut done in one go it will be the cleanest IMO. I had to adjust it a mm or 2 and it wasn't as nice anymore as my initial drill/cut.

Reactions: 19NinetySix

iaomw

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
Got mine this Friday. A bit hotter than my consideration. My build is only around 200W, peak 220W.
But the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC is already untouchable at 180W, strange.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Man this is a tight fit to get the acdc in the case, and soldering the GX-16 was quite a challenge as well... not sure (maybe ROHS) but solder doesn't stick to it!

Btw, packaging of the acdc could have been a bit better, both sides have some scratches and marks on them, probably from the ground ring connector scratching it during shipping. Anyway, with the case closed nobody will see :-)

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
Got mine this Friday. A bit hotter than my consideration. My build is only around 200W, peak 220W.
But the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC is already untouchable at 180W, strange.
That's odd, mine is cool as a cucumber at over 230W. Are there any other thermal sources that could account for the heat?

Gutzy

Caliper Novice
Mar 11, 2018
Got mine a few days ago.

Loving it!

I'm so glad they include everything needed to swap this in place of your dell brick.
I've been using it as an external brick.

One minor/silly suggestion of mine for the next revision/design would be a little LED indicator that lights up green when the unit is good to go. Similar to the dell brick.