Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
What do you think about going with "Orangulan Deux" mod approach?
Maybe it would be cool (a pun intended) to use Dynamo combo to free some space for the brick? That might partly move brick from gpu hot air dump + give space for cooling (maybe even lots of cooling) and also leave space for a power button?
Dynamo 360 should sit at the bottom of case with some kind of thermal adhesive.

This is exactly what I am doing. I am actually in the process of bundling up Orangulan for shipment to @Josh | NFC for expert finishing. I am hoping the build may actually turn into one of his super awesome videos (I can't obviously guarantee this). If nothing else I will continue to chronicle the build once finished.

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
This is exactly what I am doing. I am actually in the process of bundling up Orangulan for shipment to @Josh | NFC for expert finishing. I am hoping the build may actually turn into one of his super awesome videos (I can't obviously guarantee this). If nothing else I will continue to chronicle the build once finished.
Both scenarios sound awesome to me, hopefully we would see 3d-printed mounting brackets as a mod kit someday.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I don't believe that the 400W being brought to market means the 300W will automatically be discontinued.

It's official now:

I guess it was a natural decision, since both the 300w and the 400w adapters compete for the same niche. :(

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
I was pretty excited to find out about this. I've been watching the HDPLEX site in the hopes that something like this would appear.
Just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if this would work with the DAN A4, in conjunction with the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX. I know Dan has trialed an HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX.

buttrmytoast

Trash Compacter
Jun 2, 2018
Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere, but looks like units are going to be available towards the end of July, or at least that's the intended timeline right now...

Reactions: Soul_Est

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018
Been following this for a while as been planning a brickless S4M since I bought the case, but I'm now a bit confused from the last few pages. Could I be at risk of random electrical shock from the case, because lack of ground or something?
I'm in the uk if it matters.

I feel like this would not be the case for safety.. (No pun intended XD) but just thought I would ask since I know nothing about electronics.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Been following this for a while as been planning a brickless S4M since I bought the case, but I'm now a bit confused from the last few pages. Could I be at risk of random electrical shock from the case, because lack of ground or something?
I'm in the uk if it matters.

I feel like this would not be the case for safety.. (No pun intended XD) but just thought I would ask since I know nothing about electronics.

This question is hard to answer. Yes, I suppose you do. You shouldn't use it in a bathtub though. I think the better question is if it is safe, and yes if used properly it is safe. It is a certified power supply.

Peace :)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This question is hard to answer. Yes, I suppose you do. You shouldn't use it in a bathtub though. I think the better question is if it is safe, and yes if used properly it is safe. It is a certified power supply.

Peace :)

Josh,

I do safety equipment testing.

It is not okay to use an ungrounded power cord when this power supply is used inside the S4 mini.

The issue is mains power reaching the case, and the case is a hunk of conductor.

Imagine this: you're playing video games with a can of mountain dew in your underwear. You won a game of PUBG and in your excitement knocked over the can. Your quickly try to grab the computer... But too late. Soda got into the connector and now mains is shorted to chassis. You touch the computer and you get zapped.

The only time we use ungrounded power is when the device is insulated and/or isolated. A 2 prong psu inside the S4 is neither of these.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
These last couple pages start to confuse me as well as I'm building or at-least trying to build an S4M that I will use for audio recording editing and mixing etc. All my other equipment is grounded and an ungrounded computer gives me noticeable interference in the studio speakers, it translates in noise probably coming from the CPU processing and that's quite annoying. If I know what to buy I have no problem modifying the unit or case or whatever needs to be done as long as don't have any interference in my speakers.
For now I'm already pleased to know that the wait for an internal AC/DC is almost coming to an end. Cheers!

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
@Kmpkt i have an important question, how we will fit the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC + HDPLEX 400W DC-DC (or DYNAMO 360 combo) at the front of the S4M because the Power button will interfere with that combined length... Can we have some BETA pictures of how we should do that or even some drawings will do the trick. Thanks!

EDIT: I see the HDPLEX 400 DC-DC is 160mm. and the DYNAMO is only 120mm. so theoretically it should fit without any interference with the power button. Can you please confirm?

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I'll have to apologize as well to @Thirumal Kumaran for dismissing his needs.

This is no reason to 'withdraw' from the community and I do hope you have big enough heart to let this one go.

@19NinetySix , this psu is none more dangerous than your ol' regular atx psu. As @Thehack said, ground your case.

@LFO , CMIIW, but inside of a PC regardless of psu is very noisy, electrical interference wise so a shielded output or even better digital output is your best bet. Audio cables running along the length of an ungrounded case is also susceptible to ground hum, which I've experienced even when my cable was shielded.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@Kmpkt i have an important question, how we will fit the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC + HDPLEX 400W DC-DC (or DYNAMO 360 combo) at the front of the S4M because the Power button will interfere with that combined length... Can we have some BETA pictures of how we should do that or even some drawings will do the trick. Thanks!

The nice thing about the Dynamo is that you can put the GPU on the front of the case and the Dynamo 360 is narrow enough that you can fit it under the GPU on the bottom of the case.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Josh,

I do safety equipment testing.

It is not okay to use an ungrounded power cord when this power supply is used inside the S4 mini.

The issue is mains power reaching the case, and the case is a hunk of conductor.

Imagine this: you're playing video games with a can of mountain dew in your underwear. You won a game of PUBG and in your excitement knocked over the can. Your quickly try to grab the computer... But too late. Soda got into the connector and now mains is shorted to chassis. You touch the computer and you get zapped.

The only time we use ungrounded power is when the device is insulated and/or isolated. A 2 prong psu inside the S4 is neither of these.

I super appreciate this response but I need to make a very important distinction.

My post is about the HDPLEX 400. It is safe to use the HDPLEX 400 as intended.

This thread is for the HDPLEX 400, not the S4M. I am starting to see some users who don't know any better become biased against this perfectly safe, certified product, and against HDPLEX because they don't understand objections people educated in electricity have against using the powersupply in a manner not supported by HDPLEX.

If you decide to not use the ground and cut some wires and install your own connector, you are not using it as intended. As I have said over and over and have to keep saying over and over (the nature of forums) it is 100% up to the user to understand how this works properly. I provide warnings on my website.

There have been some really awesome, in depth posts (I think I linked some of them in the S4M FAQ on this forum) about this info in a detailed manner. I would love to have you contribute an expert in this field.

As it stands, The HDPLEX 400 is perfectly safe when used as intended.

Peace to you, my friend, and thank you for contributing. I would encourage you to make an in-depth post for the benefit of education and safety in a new thread that we can reference.

Last edited:

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
Excuse my ignorance, the C14 cable that comes included would ground the unit, correct.
For those of us who will be using something other than the S4M.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Excuse my ignorance, the C14 cable that comes included would ground the unit, correct.
For those of us who will be using something other than the S4M.

Yes, absolutely!

The HDPLEX 400 kit is 100% safe to use out of the box.

For those in the discussion, this is exactly what I meant when I said people were getting their lines crossed about a mod and a certified commercial product. We have to be responsible in making the distinction.

For those using the S4M and want a ground, they can simply by a C6 connector and do a little filing:

https://www.conrad.com/ce/en/produc...Plug-vertical-mount----Total-number-of-pins-2

<3

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Yes, absolutely!

The HDPLEX 400 kit is 100% safe to use out of the box.

For those in the discussion, this is exactly what I meant when I said people were getting their lines crossed about a mod and a certified commercial product. We have to be responsible in making the distinction.

For those using the S4M and want a ground, they can simply by a C6 connector and do a little filing:

https://www.conrad.com/ce/en/produc...Plug-vertical-mount----Total-number-of-pins-2

<3

I think I might have been adding to that confusion as well, what I suggested earlier were specific mods. I have the HDPlex 300 watt ACDC, and it came completely safe to use out of the box with a grounded and filtered connection. Larry really does peddle some great stuff.