Power Supply HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX direct plug

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
53
10
So my Hdplex 160W arrived and i did some tests. Unfortunately my systems draws a little to much power if doing extreme stress testing (Prime + Furmark). It draws 200~210W and after a few minutes it seems to spike over 240W and resets. At a continous power draw of more than 200W i would also strongly advise for active cooling, since it does get hot in this case.
I also hoped that i could use my optical drive again, but i did not thought about the height of the unit.
Now i have to decide if i stay with the unit, don't push my system to extrem levels and don't use the optical drive or
if i replace it with the hdplex 300W.

But then i would need to find a new place for my 2x 2.5" drives.. seems like i will be busy for more evenings :D

Otherwise this is of course a very nice psu - i just really pushed it over its design. I wonder if could exchange it against the 300W hdplex directly at the logistics center near hamburg? It is only 10min away from my work place :D
 

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Jun 12, 2015
1,868
4,468
Biloxi, MS
www.nfc-systems.com
i was wondering PSU stress testing will bust your PSU and causes short circuit if the PSU cannot handle it.
Then why do a PSU testing ?

The average user shouldn't do this. If you aren't willing to buy a new PSU, then don't do this. Just test with the most stressful application you actually run.

My hobby is blowing PSUs up and killing brain cells by breathing in the toxic fumes they make. Don't be like me. :)

stefan33 said:
Please someone can tell me how many millimeters is it higher than a Noctua NH-9Li/a. Thank you.

If you are talking about the pico-style HDPLEX 160, it is about 2.5mm taller than Noctua.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ricochet

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
455
242
Brasil
HDPLEX.300WAC.160WDCATX.NanoATX.jpg


New 160w DC-ATX on the way?
 

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
852
603
It should be able to handle that load. But it might depend on how much your Ryzen chip wants to stick to its 65W TDP. If you're willing to get in there and tune your voltages, you shouldn't have any problems.

I bleieve the RX 570 (and the entire 500 series) is supposedly more power efficient than the 470, if you don't already have your 470. That said, given that the 500 series is a rebrand, it's possible you could tune a 470 to perform about the same as a 570.
 

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Feb 1, 2016
3,381
5,936
45
Victoria BC Canada
The RX470 games at 140W and torture tests at about 150W. Combining that with a 65W CPU you're looking at about a 215W draw. I believe that would really be pushing it for this unit. Also while the 570 is more efficient clock for clock, they seem to have eaten up the decreased power consumption with the clock boost. Essentially RX470 and 570 draw about the same from what I've seen. Honestly if you're not averse to Team Green, a 1060 would be a much safer bet in this combo as it pulls around 120W.
 

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
951
1,171
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for the info. I'm not opposed to team green at all. I have an intel NVidia setup and am thinking of shrinking my Ryzen box at some point but keep it all Amd.
 
Last edited:

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
274
218
Virginia
The RX470 games at 140W and torture tests at about 150W. Combining that with a 65W CPU you're looking at about a 215W draw. I believe that would really be pushing it for this unit. Also while the 570 is more efficient clock for clock, they seem to have eaten up the decreased power consumption with the clock boost. Essentially RX470 and 570 draw about the same from what I've seen. Honestly if you're not averse to Team Green, a 1060 would be a much safer bet in this combo as it pulls around 120W.

I've heard different responses to pairing a 65w CPU with a gtx 1060 when using the 160w plug and play unit from HDPLEX. I've heard it'll work under light loads but not heavy gaming. Can you for sure guarantee it'll be fine?
 

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Feb 1, 2016
3,381
5,936
45
Victoria BC Canada
I've heard different responses to pairing a 65w CPU with a gtx 1060 when using the 160w plug and play unit from HDPLEX. I've heard it'll work under light loads but not heavy gaming. Can you for sure guarantee it'll be fine?

I can't guarantee it obviously, but I know a lot of people have been running this combo successfully on the power supply. When estimating power draw, I will typically use Tom's Hardware reviews since they have the most sensitive power testing I've been able to find. Presently they have the 1060 pulling about 122W under top end load with momentary spikes to 145W. Those same numbers for the RX470 are 145W and 160W respectively. If you look at their review of the Rysen 1700 (65W) CPU it pulls 45W under gaming load and 80 under torture.

Using these numbers you can safely presume a load around 165-185W gaming with the 1060 and 1700 and 190-210W with the RX470 and 1700. These power supplies are made to handle momentary spikes above the rated wattage and have a little leeway on the maximum, but obviously the higher you go above the rated spec the higher the chance you're going to blow something on the supply. Overclocking be it manual or factory applied obviously skews this total rated wattage in the wrong direction.
 

henrygrins

Trash Compacter
Mar 12, 2017
37
26
New York City
www.grinsdesign.com
Can you confirm or deny that it will be released around the same time as this new 300W AC-DC, and at a similar price point? I just placed an order for the 300W AC-DC and the existing 160W DC-ATX...
I just reached out to the HDPLEX guys and they confirmed the new 160W modular DC-DC unit will be released sometime around the beginning of May and will cost just $7 more than the existing unit. I just changed my order.

Also in the works is a brand new 300W (or possibly 400W) DC-DC module, but it wasn't clear when that will come down the pipe.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: McTeags

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
4,966
4,796
Can you confirm or deny that it will be released around the same time as this new 300W AC-DC, and at a similar price point? I just placed an order for the 300W AC-DC and the existing 160W DC-ATX...

Don't know yet.