Power Supply HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX direct plug

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Thanks for the info. I'm not opposed to team green at all. I have an intel NVidia setup and am thinking of shrinking my Ryzen box at some point but keep it all Amd.

Last edited:

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
The RX470 games at 140W and torture tests at about 150W. Combining that with a 65W CPU you're looking at about a 215W draw. I believe that would really be pushing it for this unit. Also while the 570 is more efficient clock for clock, they seem to have eaten up the decreased power consumption with the clock boost. Essentially RX470 and 570 draw about the same from what I've seen. Honestly if you're not averse to Team Green, a 1060 would be a much safer bet in this combo as it pulls around 120W.

I've heard different responses to pairing a 65w CPU with a gtx 1060 when using the 160w plug and play unit from HDPLEX. I've heard it'll work under light loads but not heavy gaming. Can you for sure guarantee it'll be fine?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've heard different responses to pairing a 65w CPU with a gtx 1060 when using the 160w plug and play unit from HDPLEX. I've heard it'll work under light loads but not heavy gaming. Can you for sure guarantee it'll be fine?

I can't guarantee it obviously, but I know a lot of people have been running this combo successfully on the power supply. When estimating power draw, I will typically use Tom's Hardware reviews since they have the most sensitive power testing I've been able to find. Presently they have the 1060 pulling about 122W under top end load with momentary spikes to 145W. Those same numbers for the RX470 are 145W and 160W respectively. If you look at their review of the Rysen 1700 (65W) CPU it pulls 45W under gaming load and 80 under torture.

Using these numbers you can safely presume a load around 165-185W gaming with the 1060 and 1700 and 190-210W with the RX470 and 1700. These power supplies are made to handle momentary spikes above the rated wattage and have a little leeway on the maximum, but obviously the higher you go above the rated spec the higher the chance you're going to blow something on the supply. Overclocking be it manual or factory applied obviously skews this total rated wattage in the wrong direction.

henrygrins

Trash Compacter
Mar 12, 2017
www.grinsdesign.com
Can you confirm or deny that it will be released around the same time as this new 300W AC-DC, and at a similar price point? I just placed an order for the 300W AC-DC and the existing 160W DC-ATX...
I just reached out to the HDPLEX guys and they confirmed the new 160W modular DC-DC unit will be released sometime around the beginning of May and will cost just $7 more than the existing unit. I just changed my order.

Also in the works is a brand new 300W (or possibly 400W) DC-DC module, but it wasn't clear when that will come down the pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: McTeags

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Can you confirm or deny that it will be released around the same time as this new 300W AC-DC, and at a similar price point? I just placed an order for the 300W AC-DC and the existing 160W DC-ATX...

Don't know yet.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016

New 160w DC-ATX on the way?

Oh no... and I JUST bought my 160W DC-ATX! Damn... :-(

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I can neither confirm nor deny that I currently possess said new unit.

Hey, I had to do a pretty sketchy mod on my current 160W HDPLEX, the terminals where you screw down the extra cables was on the same side of my 24-pin connector as my RAM slot and I actually needed to trim some of the insulation off in order to force things to fit. It's still not a great fit, my RAM is flexing... Is there anywhere I could get a look at the new one?

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Yep. Modular SATA, PCIe and EPS. Larry and I will be releasing the same unit with different heatsinks.

I just reached out to the HDPLEX guys and they confirmed the new 160W modular DC-DC unit will be released sometime around the beginning of May and will cost just $7 more than the existing unit.

SOLD.

Thanks for continually updating your products to be better looking with an even more impressive feature set.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coach_Rico

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Would you also deny and not confirm that it is a notable upgrade to the 160W DC-ATX I already have? And it what ways is it not better/improved.

As far as I know it's almost all just improvements in the connector design and layout. If you're happy with the fit and performance of your current unit, I see no reason to upgrade.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
As far as I know it's almost all just improvements in the connector design and layout. If you're happy with the fit and performance of your current unit, I see no reason to upgrade.

Hey, did you see my earlier question? The picture on the site doesn't look particular different. I had to do a sketchy mod on my current 160W HDPLEX's connectors and if I could swap it out for a more compatible design I absolutely would. The plastic-shielded 1-4 terminals are on the same side as my RAM slots, and I need to populate the slot right next to my HDPLEX, but the cables screwed down onto those terminals interfere with my DIMM. I had to trim some of the insulation off and it's still flexing the stick of RAM.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I don't have any pictures of my current setup, but it definitely looks like this one would work better!

Referencing the picture in the post you referred to--it looks like the leftmost connector is used for DC-in, right? Is that middle 4-pin connector (similar to a PWM fan connector) used for a certain kind of extension cable? (I'd assume the SATA cables on the HDPLEX 160W I have.) And I'm guessing the rightmost connector can be split with a "Y-connector" to achieve what the 1-4 terminals do on the previous version?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There's two 4-pin Mini-Fit Jr connectors, one on each side. One for CPU and the other for PCIe, they're labeled but it doesn't actually matter which cable is plugged on which side.

Middle 4-pin connector is for SATA.

DC IN is hardwired.

Reactions: zovc