Power Supply List of DC-ATX power supplies.

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
Very interested in purchasing one! Will your power supply work with 7.4x5.0 tip?

I have a 350W Voodoo Firebird Power Adapter (20V 17.5A) that I'm using with a HDPlex 300W, but would love to get rid of the 24 pin cable!

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
I can't seem to find any 12v adapters that use a compatible input jack as the turemetal tp240. There are tons of dell bricks with 8 pin connectors for pretty cheap on ebay... do people just use an 8 pin to 5.5.x 2.5 adapter or something? Any ideas where you can find something like that?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I can't seem to find any 12v adapters that use a compatible input jack as the turemetal tp240. There are tons of dell bricks with 8 pin connectors for pretty cheap on ebay... do people just use an 8 pin to 5.5.x 2.5 adapter or something? Any ideas where you can find something like that?

TO my knowledge, there are only two high power 12V AC adapters with a 5.5 DC jack :

- Professionally modded Dell DA-2 18A with 5.5 DC jack : 40 €
- ATS 300T-P120 24A : 110 € and minimum MOQ of 2 units.

The problem I have is finding 5.5 DC barrel connectors that can handle more than 10A.
Any suggestions welcome :)

Last edited:

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Can anyone explain the perceived weakness in a Pico unit? Apart from the dislike of external power bricks,I cannot see what advantage HD-Plex or G-Unique would have for me, although I do like the look of them both, especially the G-Unique. ( and still not free of ext bricks in every case)
I am preparing for the Zen APU release, and appropriate motherboard, so no GPU and either 2xM2 or M2 and a Sata 3.
I anticipate the APU to be 65W and 5 W or so for each storage device...plus CPU cooler......80W PSU would probably do it, but would aim for 120W just for the headroom. Easy enough to rig up a custom set of cables with extra Sata connector and DC jack cable length to suit.
I can understand people building higher CPU TDP systems with GPU requirements etc etc but my needs are much more modest.
So am I missing something about a problem with Pico? or is it just that a good deal of builders are making heavier draw systems?

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
TO my knowledge, there are only two high power 12V AC adapters with a 5.5 DC jack :

- Professionally modded Dell DA-2 18A with 5.5 DC jack : 40 €
- ATS 300T-P120 24A : 110 € and minimum MOQ of 2 units.

The problem I have is finding 5.5 DC barrel connectors that can handle more than 10A.
Any suggestions welcome :)

Late reply here :/. Thank you for the links. I wonder if the plug on the modded dell you linked is able to handle the 18A... Sorry I can't help with the DC barrel connectors. Beyond my expertise :).

I had a very helpful chat with guryhwa on discord. He was suggesting I aim for 300W or more. I'm not sure the turemetal is quite powerful enough (65W non-K 7700 or Ryzen 5, 2x SSD, gtx 1060/1070). I was leaning toward the g-unique plug and play which has the bonus of not really needing to budget space for the internal powersupply, but shipping to Canada is pretty expensive. After custom cables + brick + connector mod + shipping + exchange rate (+ possibly taxes at customs?) I'd be spending almost as much on the powersupply as I would on the processor. The Canadian exchange rate is pretty bad right now. Still might go with the G-unique, but the end cost is making me hesitant

What bricks are people using with the 300w hdplex? I'm trying to feel out what my options are so I can build my case around the space needed for power.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Yep... We were discussing this issue yesterday on the Thin Mini-ITX thread. Max current rating 5.5 DC barrel connectors can handle is 11A.
I wonder why industrial companies design 24A DC adapters with 5.5 jack plugs then...

There are some experiments showing that those barrels can handle more but I'm not sure they would last in the long term...

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Yep... We were discussing this issue yesterday on the Thin Mini-ITX thread. Max current rating 5.5 DC barrel connectors can handle is 11A.
I wonder why industrial companies design 24A DC adapters with 5.5 jack plugs then...

There are some experiments showing that those barrels can handle more but I'm not sure they would last in the long term...

Does seem odd. Those using the hdplex 300W are usually using a 330W Dell Brick, I think...? It's only a slightly larger connector, do people have problems with it?

edit: I checked the thin mini-itx thread you mentioned. Seems the connector type that comes on the hdplex 300W has pretty much the same kimit as the 5.5 connector. The 300W hdplex seems to have a pretty solid reputation from what I can gather... perhaps the ratings on these connectors are very conservative and not actually as big a deal as we are thinking?

Last edited:

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
It just crossed my mind, but anyone have any clue how the efficiency is measured on these units?

For example, if a DC-ATX uses 12v input, it basically works (almost) as a pass-through for the AC-DC, correct? This would imply that they are almost 99% efficient on the 12v.

This question came to my mind when looking at the meanwell thread, where @Thehack suggests to use wires directly from the AC-DC to the CPU 4/8-pin. Using such wire would imply that the 12v efficiency from the CPU depends only on the efficiency of the AC-DC, and using a wire that goes from AC-DC-> DC-ATX->CPU would lower the efficiency quite a bit if considering the DC-ATX efficiency.

opentree

What's an ITX?
May 24, 2017
Hey,
Has anyone ordered any of those 500w modded dell bricks? Not sure how to indicate to them and pay for the 500w version instead of the other ones.