Don't forget! :-pI've got both models in hand. I will take photos and measurements tomorrow when I'm at my office (if I remember).
Up for review today is the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX, a power supply of sorts, but one that is a bit different than the SFX and SFX-L PSUs I have previously reviewed.
What makes a DC-ATX unit different? It is right in the name, it takes a single DC input voltage and from that generates the various voltages needed by a typical ATX-spec motherboard: 12V, 5V, 5VSB, 3.3V, -12V, and the power good signal. That’s all it does though, so some sort of adapter to take AC power from the wall outlet and convert it to that DC input voltage is required to complete the package.
I've got both models in hand. I will take photos and measurements tomorrow when I'm at my office (if I remember).
160W with a 200W peak? I'm a PSU noob, what's a 200W peak actually functionally capable of? Like momentary peaks above 160, up to 200W? or can it run hardware that requires more than 160W but below 200w?
And I might have missed something, but what "Intake Delta" means in this test?
The HDPlex heatsink is the same thickness as mine I believe, but I am not certain.
I guess V4 version, due to its thickness, won't be the best friend of NFC S4 mini...as generally 24V ATX is just in front of power button..![]()
Well you know i owned nfc s4 mini with pico box z4-atx-200 with mb gigabyte z170n gaming 5, and i can guarantee you it was a blocking point...i destroyed a vandall button due to this..The power button is high enough up that I don't think the power button on the S4 will impede this unit. If you look at @CubanLegend 's Acrylic Ant Man you can see how he avoids the 24 pin connector in his build with a short bodied Bulgin. Furthermore you can't have the 24 pin connector any further towards the top of the board than on the Z270i Strix:
![]()
The one problem I'm finding is RAM is really tight. I used it on a build I'm playing with right now that uses two sticks of the G.Skill Trident Z and couldn't actually use the DIMM furthest from the CPU. I'll be thinning my custom unit down by 2-3mm as a result.
I have the Corsair LPX sticks. I don't think it'd be an issue.I think it will depend very much on the bulkiness of the RAM you're using. If you have a thick heatsink like on the G.Skill Trident Z or Tridend Z LED, you're going to have some issues. I will be in my office tonight playing around with this and will try to take some photos.
TDP =/= power draw. Check out Tom's hardware posts about power draw. They measure each card and CPU. For example, the GTX 1060 SC can pull up to 200w at peak. And the i5 7000 series can get up to 70w or 80w even though their tdp is 65w.What kind of discrete GPU can I use with this thing assuming I'm using a 65W TDP CPU like an R5 1600?
In the article James Schell says he got a GTX 1060 to work with it, but that card uses 120W according to nVIDIA. I wonder what kind of CPU he paired with that 1060, was it one of those lower power T series CPUs?
Would I be able to pair an R5 1600 with an RX 460? Or would I have to go even lower with an RX 550 perhaps?