Power Supply HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX direct plug

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
I

I have the hdplex 160w and i am planning to build it with an i3 7100 and gtx 1060 6gb variant. Currently i am waiting for my mobo and cpu to be delivered. I will a video or a thread once i am done with my build.
If you have not purchased the cpu., Please use a low tdp cpu like an i3 or so. If yu are yet to purchase the gpu then i suggest you to get a nvidia cpu as it has a lower power consumption value assuming you are going with hdplex 160w.
I am not an nvidia fanboy but i am just telling you that if vega comes, it is going to be a new architecture and amd 400 series may go obsolete or may or may not have reasonable resale value.
Anyway this are just my thoughts. On the other hand, if you have friends in usa who are gonna visit you on a holiday or so, you can ask them to purchase it for you or freight ship to your address if possible.
Hdplex 160w is much better than z4 atx as it has dual rails and performs much better than z4. Btw, i have heard that z4 gets so hot that it often melts under heavy load. If you are in need of a pico style psu. I suggest to look at G-unique pico style psu at market section of this forum.

My system is actually up and running, so i have measurements what it is pulling from the wall at the moment using my 80+ Gold FlexATX PSU. I just want to change the PSU. But you are right, i am pushing it. But i also think the CPU is fine. The maximum TDP measured with Open Hardware Monitor was 43W CPU Package after running prime95. It is undervolted by 0.1V. In an open system the Intel stock cooler easily cools it to 61°C at most.

I am really more concered to the GPU, which while averaging at 75W (GPUz) produces clearly some spikes here and there.

The absolute maximum reading of my system under Furmark + GpuZ Render test + Prime95 hit 200W a few times. Gaming Rise of Tomb Raider, i didn't go above 150W

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Dec 2, 2016
My system is actually up and running, so i have measurements what it is pulling from the wall at the moment using my 80+ Gold FlexATX PSU. I just want to change the PSU. But you are right, i am pushing it. But i also think the CPU is fine. The maximum TDP measured with Open Hardware Monitor was 43W CPU Package after running prime95. It is undervolted by 0.1V. In an open system the Intel stock cooler easily cools it to 61°C at most.

I am really more concered to the GPU, which while averaging at 75W (GPUz) produces clearly some spikes here and there.

The absolute maximum reading of my system under Furmark + GpuZ Render test + Prime95 hit 200W a few times. Gaming Rise of Tomb Raider, i didn't go above 150W
Hit 200w in furmark + gpuz render test + prime95 ? Seriously dude ? That's so brutal. Anyway i think with an undervolted cpu and rx470, you should be fine with hdplex 160w and a 240w brick.
If you looking for cheap bricks, you can order it from this url: http://www.my-adaptor.com/adapter-output-by-power.html

Good luck.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Dec 2, 2016
What do you mean? That it is high or low? :D
Yeah thanks for the link, they are indeed cheap there.
Thanks, i'll try and report, so not everybody else has to.
200w is reasonable. And all the power consumption benchmark i have seen with a rx 470 is over 250w. So i was a bit surprised with your power consumption.

Reactions: lordzahl

amitoza

SFF Lingo Aficionado
CATZ
Feb 10, 2017
I have this hdplex with i3 6100, and gtx960. it's working great but in occt psu test I heard little trill.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Dec 2, 2016
Thanks, lets hope the Dell 240W PA-9E is also up to the task.
i have also ordered a dell 240w adapter. so no worries. playing games and doing other stuff is not gonna create problems unless you are putting the cpu and gpu to under heavy stress like running furmark and prime95.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Dec 2, 2016
I have this hdplex with i3 6100, and gtx960. it's working great but in occt psu test I heard little trill.
i was wondering PSU stress testing will bust your PSU and causes short circuit if the PSU cannot handle it.
Then why do a PSU testing ?

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
So my Hdplex 160W arrived and i did some tests. Unfortunately my systems draws a little to much power if doing extreme stress testing (Prime + Furmark). It draws 200~210W and after a few minutes it seems to spike over 240W and resets. At a continous power draw of more than 200W i would also strongly advise for active cooling, since it does get hot in this case.
I also hoped that i could use my optical drive again, but i did not thought about the height of the unit.
Now i have to decide if i stay with the unit, don't push my system to extrem levels and don't use the optical drive or
if i replace it with the hdplex 300W.

But then i would need to find a new place for my 2x 2.5" drives.. seems like i will be busy for more evenings :D

Otherwise this is of course a very nice psu - i just really pushed it over its design. I wonder if could exchange it against the 300W hdplex directly at the logistics center near hamburg? It is only 10min away from my work place :D

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
i was wondering PSU stress testing will bust your PSU and causes short circuit if the PSU cannot handle it.
Then why do a PSU testing ?

The average user shouldn't do this. If you aren't willing to buy a new PSU, then don't do this. Just test with the most stressful application you actually run.

My hobby is blowing PSUs up and killing brain cells by breathing in the toxic fumes they make. Don't be like me. :)

stefan33 said:
Please someone can tell me how many millimeters is it higher than a Noctua NH-9Li/a. Thank you.

If you are talking about the pico-style HDPLEX 160, it is about 2.5mm taller than Noctua.

Reactions: ricochet

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016

New 160w DC-ATX on the way?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yep. Modular SATA, PCIe and EPS. Larry and I will be releasing the same unit with different heatsinks.

Reactions: McTeags

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Yep. Modular SATA, PCIe and EPS. Larry and I will be releasing the same unit with different heatsinks.

This is looking fantastic guys. Do you think this unit could handle a 65w Ryzen CPU and Rx470ish gpu?

I am really looking to pick one up if so.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
It should be able to handle that load. But it might depend on how much your Ryzen chip wants to stick to its 65W TDP. If you're willing to get in there and tune your voltages, you shouldn't have any problems.

I bleieve the RX 570 (and the entire 500 series) is supposedly more power efficient than the 470, if you don't already have your 470. That said, given that the 500 series is a rebrand, it's possible you could tune a 470 to perform about the same as a 570.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The RX470 games at 140W and torture tests at about 150W. Combining that with a 65W CPU you're looking at about a 215W draw. I believe that would really be pushing it for this unit. Also while the 570 is more efficient clock for clock, they seem to have eaten up the decreased power consumption with the clock boost. Essentially RX470 and 570 draw about the same from what I've seen. Honestly if you're not averse to Team Green, a 1060 would be a much safer bet in this combo as it pulls around 120W.