HDPlex 160w AC-DC: 4 pin connector mod / change.

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
I wanted to see if I could make the cabling more manageable and somehow make just a straight connection from a HDPlex 160W DC-ATX without any male/female connectors being in the mix as I feel that clutters the overall cabling and look of a build.
First I thought about taking the 4 pin connector thats is wired to the AC-DC and trying to see if I could somehow get that inside the aluminium casing but after taking it apart, let's just say it's a tight fit as-is :)

I ended up with what you can see in the pictures: A 3D printed case that extends the AC-DC casing and hides the connector and cabling exposing just the connector in an angle that allows me to run cables cleanly from the DC-ATX unit straight to the power supply. Im building in a S4M.

Feedback welcome - I kind of like the fact that you can visually see it's an "add-on" but I also thought about wrapping both the 3D printed case and the AC-DC in the same matt vinyl as I used for the 3D print.

Last edited:

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
Niiice! I've been considering some form of shell for both ends to turn one of these into an external power brick.. hmmm

I’ve thought of different options for covering the “input end” but it’s hard to not make the unit overly long depending on what direction you want the connector to point.