Z4 ATX 200 Connector Mod Question

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

With limited electronic expertise, I'm just looking to get some affirmation on what I am planning. I've bought the Z4 ATX 200 power supply and would like to use it with the HDPlex 160W AC/DC since the cable bulk associated with the HDPlex 160 DC-DC is pretty ungainly. Is it safe to cut the four wires going into the barrel connector and put them into a 4 pin connector to interface with the HDPlex? I was just going to dissect the barrel so I can see exactly which wires are +/- and then proceed from there. Also (stupid question) but + is yellow and - is black, correct?

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
You want to use the barrel connector of the Z4 200W and use that to power the HDPlex 160W? Or do you wish to split it?
Yes Yellow is + and black is Ground.

Your idea should work without any problems. Just make sure you have the correct pinout from barrel to 4-pin.

Some less destructive suggestions below, although cutting away the heatsink on the barrel connector en checking should be the easiest if you are okay with cutting it away and exposing the contacts.

I'm assuming you don't have a multimeter, if you do happen to have on you can measure one of the ground pins on the 24-Pin of the Z4 and measure continuity between the 2 contacts on the PCB that go to the barrel connector If it beeps continuously you known which wires are ground.

Another option I see, if you have the same Z4 200W I see below, is that the heatshrinked cable should be Ground because it has black heatshrink, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Perhaps @FrankTang can confirm?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you look at the other photos of the PCB, two cables clearly go onto a terminal marked + while the other two go to a terminal marked -. I noticed this after my post. I assume this is clear as day and I just need to put the negatives into the 4 pin to interface with the black cables from the AC-DC.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Just to be completely sure. You are intending to connect both the + and - wires to the HDPlex correct? You're previous message reads as if you are only going to connect the - wires, which wont do anything.

+ wires go to Yellow
- wires go to Black

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah. That was just a half-thought. Thanks for the clarification though.