Actively Cooled HDPlex 300W AC-DC adapter

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Just a quick update (on mobile now, will update OP later):

I got the top replacement panel basically all modeled now, just need to decide on a good switch for the speed control of the fans.

I also decided that for the speed control of the fans I'd just use 3 Step-down units at different settings since I couldn't figure out how to change the one unit to output specific voltage settings via a switch so my plan now is to just wire up the units to a 4-6 position switch to adjust the speed. Kind of a brute force method but I couldn't come up with another solution that didn't require bother components or a custom PCB.

If anyone has any suggestions for the switch or speed control setup I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Oh, is this the second fan because you will have one on the side too?

Last edited:

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Just a quick update (on mobile now, will update OP later):

I got the top replacement panel basically all modeled now, just need to decide on a good switch for the speed control of the fans.

I also decided that for the speed control of the fans I'd just use 3 Step-down units at different settings since I couldn't figure out how to change the one unit to output specific voltage settings via a switch so my plan now is to just wire up the units to a 4-6 position switch to adjust the speed. Kind of a brute force method but I couldn't come up with another solution that didn't require bother components or a custom PCB.

If anyone has any suggestions for the switch or speed control setup I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

This looks awesome, for the side plate I would check the 3D model I uploaded and make sure the cable hole is placed along the outer-side of the panel making a U shape, otherwise the cables camp can't go into place. Love the dome design, will look really clean.

Reactions: Biowarejak

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Oh, is this the second fan because you will have one on the side too?

Yep, this is the spot for the secondary 10mm exhaust fan.

This looks awesome, for the side plate I would check the 3D model I uploaded and make sure the cable hole is placed along the outer-side of the panel making a U shape, otherwise the cables can't go into place.

Definitely will do, I realized my mistake with that first panel I sent you once I opened it up again lol.

Love the dome design, will look really clean.

Thanks! That's the plan :)

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
OP has been updated with the (for now) completed 3D Top and Side parts as well as new notes in the notes section and updated List!

I would love any feedback and/or ideas! Esp. about the things mentioned in the notes section.

Thanks!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Not completely sure about the ramp, could the power chip be located on the front part of the dome, sitting in between the intake and outtake fans?

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Not completely sure about the ramp, could the power chip be located on the front part of the dome, sitting in between the intake and outtake fans?

If I understand you correctly that is my plan. The Step-down converters will be located up top next to the exhaust fan. The ramp is there just to guide the airflow through it a bit more instead of having a dead-zone that could cause turbulence and thus less airflow. It would be pretty easy to make a version with the ramp and without so we can see which one ends up performing better.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Hey everyone!

It's been a while but I have an update finally. Here it is:

I did pick up a HDPlex 300w AC-DC unit for myself so I'm planning on having my most recent designs printed up so I can try them out myself.

I also want to get a thermal probe/gun so I can see what the temp differences with the fans and without are. I had it just plugged into the wall with no load and it got pretty warm (about like a hand warmer or similar) just sitting there. I'll be getting an HDPlex 400w soon as well so I can do load testing as well :)

I also got some cables made (mainly the external one) in case anyone was wondering what they'd look like:

Looking forward to working more on this project! :)

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Looks good, is that the 12v step down / fan controller?

Yep, thats the voltage step down unit. I currently have it set to output just under 12v.

I'm waiting on some more Fan terminals to come in that way I can hook it up to my fan and see where I'd set the voltage at more long term.

Excited to see it all come together :)

Reactions: AleksandarK

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Regarding your fan control, if you really desire it to be user adjustable maybe you could find the kind of board used in those 3 pin fan controllers which look like a small box with a knob. I assume it is just a 12v to 5v step down, which the knob controls. Then with the right size knob, it could be mounted inside the chassis and a hole could be drilled for the knob to go through.

Edit: I found this blog, some useful stuff on here:
https://ptarmiganlabs.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/one-dollar-variable-fan-controller/

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Regarding your fan control, if you really desire it to be user adjustable maybe you could find the kind of board used in those 3 pin fan controllers which look like a small box with a knob. I assume it is just a 12v to 5v step down, which the knob controls. Then with the right size knob, it could be mounted inside the chassis and a hole could be drilled for the knob to go through.

Edit: I found this blog, some useful stuff on here:
https://ptarmiganlabs.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/one-dollar-variable-fan-controller/

Thanks for the idea and link!

I looked around a bit and got the idea (and suggestion from @Reldey) for a temperature controlled unit so I found a few options I'm looking to try out:
I'm mostly interested in the 2nd and then 3rd options since the first one has that tall heatsink on it.

I'm ordering my own HDPlex 400w, the 3D prints, and a one or two of these boards so hopefully I can get some good testing done this week or next depending on when everything arrives :)

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Have you found out whether the internal shutdown on the unit is thermally or current limited? Would be a shame to go through all of this trouble only to find out the unit is going to invoke OCP as soon as you have a 400W spike.

Right, good points. That's actually one of the main reasons I got the unit in the first place but I haven't had a chance to look inside at the components yet because apparently my smallest torx bit is a little to big so I'll have to pick up a smaller one lol.

I'm hoping I'll be able to find out about the OCP if I have a good look at the components (and get help identifying them lol) bit if not then I'll have to just resort to 'torture' testing it.

Thanks for the reminder :)

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Got some goodies in today :)

It's an ifixit pro tech toolkit (been meaning to get one for forever lol) and two of Noctua's (apparently new?) PWM 40mm fans.

I also ordered 3 different boards from eBay for the fan control but they're not gonna show up until the 22-28th of the month (gotta love shipping from China) so in the meantime, I grabbed the Elegiant board I linked before that should get here on Friday.

Since I picked up two 20mm thick fans I am working on tweaking the design a bit to accommodate them as well as house the c14 plug so I'll be back with another update about that hopefully pretty soon. Probably still gonna print the last design as well tho and use my 20mm and 10mm Noiseblocker fans for that, I just haven't had a chance to get the price for it since this week has been really busy.

Anyways, that's it for now and hopefully more later! now that I have the Torx bit I need I'll be able to open up the unit and have a good look around... :)

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
Josh / nfc systems was able to get the ac-dc unit to go higher than 300w, with the brick elevated and a fan blowing on/over it. So maybe if the unit is kept under a specific temperature it can support more watts?

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Josh / nfc systems was able to get the ac-dc unit to go higher than 300w, with the brick elevated and a fan blowing on/over it. So maybe if the unit is kept under a specific temperature it can support more watts?

That's the hope :)

--------------------------

In other news, I got the 3D printed parts for the non-PWM version ordered and printing so I'll be picking them up on Monday.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before but I ordered an HDPlex 400w DC-ATX unit as well and supposedly it's been shipped but the tracking number doesn't register as valid :/ not sure what's up with that esp. Since its been a few days already. Scratch that, it's showing "Pre-shipment" now

I did also get a chance to have a look around inside the AC-DC unit but there are precious few component markings visible so I don't think I'll be able to figure out the max output capabilities that way unless I completely remove the PCB and components out of the aluminum shell. And I'm not really prepared to do that at this point because a lot of components are essentially glued to 3 sides of the unit (with what I'm assuming is a thermally conductive material, obviously different than thermal paste or adhesive tho) and since I don't know that the thermal material is I won't be able to put it back together the same way.

Anyways, that's the state of things right now. I have been making a little progress on the new PWM version's 3D parts but nothing worth showing on that just yet.

Looking forward to the fan control PCB showing up tomorrow tho! :)

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
what I'm assuming is a thermally conductive material, obviously different than thermal paste or adhesive tho) and since I don't know that the thermal material is I won't be able to put it back together the same way
Try contacting Lary, he can tell you what material did he use.

Reactions: royalba94

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Got some more news!

First off, it looks like the HDPlex 400w is going to arrive tomorrow - nope, checked the wrong tracking number. Still pre-shipment :/ Should show up on Monday! :)

Secondly the 3D printed parts should be ready for pickup in the morning as well! :)

I also made a gif (couldn't figure out the fancy turntable way :\) of my newest version (mostly complete, might need a tweak or two) for the 2x Noctua PWM 40mm fans:

Excited to finally see it all together! :D

EDIT: checked the wrong tracking number...
EDIT: tracking number was updated!
EDIT: Made a better, more complete gif

Last edited: