Motherboard GIGABYTE AB350N-Gaming WIFI

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Ok this is another thing I discovered.
Some times applying frequency settings to ram and cpu does not change things.

When you CLEAR CMOS by connecting the two pins with metal, the next time you pop into ur bios it gives you the message that your BIOS is reset. However, even though this usually clears your problem. Some times it still keeps the settings you selected but refuses to apply them or newer ones.

I was really really tense when I realised I could not modify the cpu multiplier anymore even though I was resetting the bios.

So I unplugged the motherboard 24 pin atx and also unplugged the motherboard battery. And thank god that fixed it.

djcostcosamples

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
There's an easier solution to that, and actually the recommended course of action after shorting the jumper: I believe in the "Exit" page in BIOS (or whatever it's called) there should be a setting called "Load Optimized Defaults". Saves you the hassle of doing all that extra stuff :)

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
There's an easier solution to that, and actually the recommended course of action after shorting the jumper: I believe in the "Exit" page in BIOS (or whatever it's called) there should be a setting called "Load Optimized Defaults". Saves you the hassle of doing all that extra stuff :)
Yeah. That doesn't do anything for me most of the time. So I didn't bother mentioning it.

It's like this from my experience

Battery cmos reset> pin connect clear cmos> load optimised settings

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
And one more thing.

when running synthetics on the stock cpu, the cpu voltage goes up to 1.5 in some cases holy shit. I think this is part of their cpu turbo technology but holy shit.

FancyKiddo

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
Yeah I mentioned that in my undervolting exploration. The CPU likes to take a ridiculous amount of voltage when it's boosting just one of the cores, which is why I recommend manually setting the voltage regardless if it would just be stock voltage.

benjiro

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
A small tip for people who have issue with the AB350N / Windows 10, where the 4 external USB3 ports do not work properly ( not detecting a device when inserting into the port )

If you have AMD Ryzen Balanced Power plan installed, go to:

- Change plan Settings
- Change Advanced power settings
- Usb Settings
- USB selective suspend setting.
And disable this.

And your 4 blue USB 3.0 ports will function correctly ( those ports are driven by the CPU and not the chipset and for some reason there is a bug with Windows 10 ). Took me a hour to figure out why my external devices did not get detected when plugin-in but on "find hardware", they did show up. Disable that setting and force the ports to stay active. Issue solved :)

New system, always some bugs :)

Reactions: Acalanata

Homerlovesbeer

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm having the worst nightmare new build I've ever had. I can barely run windows 10 without constant, non stop freezing. It is seriously doing my head in!

It does not matter what I do in the BIOS.

Whether all settings are completely defaulted to factory settings or voltages tweaked and the memory frequency corrected to 3200 Mhz I reboot into windows and get a system freeze EVERY TIME! Whether I can run windows 10 for 20 secs or 5 mins there is just no pattern or reason for what the hell is going on.

I'm pretty over it as you can tell :-)

I've tried complete BIOS resets, used the jumper to reset, tried upping voltage, lowering voltage, different memory speeds, all to no avail.

Here is link to my build.
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Fvytf8

All components are supposed to be compatible. I double checked the memory (It is compatible -Team Dark Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01) and paid a LOT more than I needed to ensure the dramas I'm now facing don't happen.

It can either be a windows issue or memory issue I think. If it's memory I'm stuffed as I'm in Australia and I bought from NEWEGG so my wifes new PC will be unusable for a dam long time while I ship the memory back and wait for replacements.

Sigh......

Suggestions?

Thanks guys,
Homer

Reactions: grumpyrobin

Homerlovesbeer

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2017
F1

I haven't been able to upgrade to any other due crashes

EDIT: I'm wondering if it's due an older image of Windows 10 Pro which I made prior to Ryzen. I'm going to reinstall and see if that makes a difference.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
F1 barely copes with 3200mhz. If the OS reboot doesn't help, try running the memory in auto, and doing the BIOS flash from within BIOS. After moving to F3 BIOS, then re-clock your RAM.

Homerlovesbeer

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2017
Ok a fresh download of Windows10 Pro from Microsoft and a clean install may have solved the problem.

Perfectly smooth install so far. I'm updating and installing graphics drivers at the moment.

No Reboots or freezing yet.

Homerlovesbeer

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2017
Hmm bad news.

It seems Windows 10 is particularly fragile. Everything was running beautifully until I installed AMD Overdrive. It asked me to reboot the PC to complete the installation at which I said yes.

Alas I never could boot into windows 10 ever again (loading splash screen then instantly rebooting).

Wiping completely and reinstalling yet again.

I did however manage to upgrade to the F3 BIOS.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I didn't even know about the overdrive thing. I only got Ryzen master just to check if it matches hw info.

Reading a bit about it it does automatic overclocking which I would avoid like the plague honestly.

Homerlovesbeer

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2017
Another 2 Windows installs later and I think it's working ok now.

I actually think Nand drives remember info even when you delete the partition in the Windows setup and reinstall over the top.

Very problematic install :(

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
actually think Nand drives remember info even when you delete the partition in the Windows setup and reinstall over the top.
Stuff a linux live CD/USB in there and zero the drive that way if you want to be sure everything gets shitcanned.
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=4096 status=progress
where sdx is the drive in question (lsblk or df or sudo fdisk -l should give you that info). Just be careful not to screw that part up unless you want to zero the wrong drive. also if you want to write the drive w/ random data replace /dev/zero with /dev/urandom. bs is block size, 4mb should be fairly quick but you can leave it off, just means it will take a really long time.

Last edited:

benjiro

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
Hmm bad news.

It seems Windows 10 is particularly fragile. Everything was running beautifully until I installed AMD Overdrive. It asked me to reboot the PC to complete the installation at which I said yes.

Alas I never could boot into windows 10 ever again (loading splash screen then instantly rebooting).

Wiping completely and reinstalling yet again.

I did however manage to upgrade to the F3 BIOS.

I am amazed at the issues you are running into. The board has been rock stable with W10Pro for me, F1 / F3 bios. 2133/OC2400 ECC memory.

Worst part has been the Gigabyte APP center, what feels amateurish at best. Did you consider down clocking the memory to see if this solves your issues?