Motherboard GIGABYTE AB350N-Gaming WIFI

Kcesar

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 6, 2017
You underclocked your RAM? Previously when I reported I tried F1, I did this with the RAM at it's default 2400 speed (no XMP profile applied for 3200MHz), all power saving features turned off, but no dice for me.

On another note I saw an update from an ASUS rep on a thread in their forums from people having this issue. They had stated before they knew what the problem was and that it could take some time for a fix to be pushed out so some people asked them to elaborate on the time frame. The ASUS rep said "No ETA for a fix other than it could take a long time." I believe this was the same ASUS thread where they said it was an issue on AMD's side, and they'd have to wait for a fix from them. I also saw another user having the issue say that he RMA'd his CPU, and got a new one back that did not have the issue.

My Gigabyte ticket is still sitting in new status as well. It's been almost a week. I find this unacceptable, but maybe it's just because I'm an IT service provider. At my company if we left a ticket in new status without even reaching out to communicate to the client they would be pretty upset. I think I'm going to order an ASRock board today, and also get a replacement for the 1600.

yes bios f1 and downclocked ram, fixed voltage on cpu and offset in vsoc volt. Look my hwmonitor:

Reactions: AleksandarK

djcostcosamples

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
A Gigabyte rep explained the Load-Line Calibration settings to me, in case anyone was curious.

According to him:

Auto = Normal => 100 % Vdrop
Extreme => 0 % Vdrop
Medium=> 60% Vdrop
Standard => 80% Vdrop

Reactions: Acalanata

Moravid

Cable Smoosher
Jun 4, 2017
Has anyone messed around with ram sub-timings? my system is running 3466 CL16 ram and I would like to tighten up the timings some more but unsure about all the different fields present in the BIOS. the RAM model is F4-3466C16D-16GVK which is a single rank Samsung B-die

Reactions: grumpyrobin

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A Gigabyte rep explained the Load-Line Calibration settings to me, in case anyone was curious.

According to him:

Auto = Normal => 100 % Vdrop
Extreme => 0 % Vdrop
Medium=> 60% Vdrop
Standard => 80% Vdrop
That seems the way they hope it works, but more times than not I've seen high LLC settings overshoot quite a bit. Instead of keeping for instance 1.45V under idle also 1.45V on load, it might overshoot and go 1.53V on load or something. Be sure to test and verify because LLC might damage the processor (in the long run) if used near the limit of the safe voltage range.

Nintenrax

Chassis Packer
Jun 6, 2017
Speaking about voltage overshoots: as mentioned earlier in this thread, HWInfo displays 2 different CPU voltages: one under the CPU section (CPU Core Voltage) and one under the motherboard section (VCore). VCore always overshoots when under load, not matter what the LLC setting, but does overshoot more when more aggressive LLC settings are used. CPU Core Voltage displays a normal VDroop, which would lead me to believe that it's more accurate, but it doesn't seem to be affected by LLC settings.

I've done some research to determine which one is more accurate, but haven't found much. From what I've read the voltage displayed under the motherboard section might be less accurate depending on where along the VRM the sensor is placed. This doesn't explain why the CPU Core Voltage doesn't seem to be affected by LLC settings though.

If anyone could tell me more about this it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Ricdeau

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Gigabyte released an F3 BIOS. Notes specify improvements for APUs, but I tried it out just in case there were any other changes before putting in my ASRock board. No change for me, and I'm still unable to modify vcore from BIOS above the default. My ASRock board has no issues manually controlling the voltage and multiplier so far. I've just started playing with it though, but looking positive. I still actually like the layout better on the Gigabyte board for my specific case.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Guys. I finally got my system built. I am waiting for the computer store to open so I can buy a keyboard. My only USB keyboard finally broke and I can't even install windows because I can't type anything..........damnit I just realised I could've used the on-screen keyboard.

Well anyway, tell me what I should test specifically if you guys want to know.

I have an aio for the cpu, but an 80mm fan right above the VRMs.

djcostcosamples

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Gigabyte released an F3 BIOS. Notes specify improvements for APUs, but I tried it out just in case there were any other changes before putting in my ASRock board. No change for me, and I'm still unable to modify vcore from BIOS above the default. My ASRock board has no issues manually controlling the voltage and multiplier so far. I've just started playing with it though, but looking positive. I still actually like the layout better on the Gigabyte board for my specific case.
I got both boards to test as well. I really prefer the ASRock BIOS so far--I actually feel like I might be able to OC past 3.8 GHz. The RAM compatibility isn't as good as the Gigabyte's, as I suspected. Can't hit DDR4 3600 at 18-18-18-38 on the ASRock. Maybe with looser timings?

And yeah, I actually grew to really like the Gigabyte's layout.

Another thing, a lot of people were freaking out about VRM temperatures, but it doesn't seem like you can even monitor the MOSFET temps on the ASRock board.

Ricdeau

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
So far I've had no issues at 3.8GHz on this ASRock board at lower voltage than what I had to set in Ryzen Master on the Gigabyte. So I also feel like I can get my 1600 past 3.8GHz since I still have a fair amount of voltage headroom. I haven't tried anything past my 3200MHz XMP profile on the RAM. Both the Gigabyte and ASRock did that without any issue. I'm going to try to dial in my CPU OC, and then work on RAM. I did notice, as some others pointed out in the ASRock thread, that some of the sensor readouts just incorrect. The sensors on the Gigabyte board all look to work appropriately. I have pretty oversized cooler in my Core 500 (maybe even a bit overboard), but I have ample airflow over the motherboard so MOSFET temps were not a big concern for me on either board.

On the note of BIOS I agree that the ASRock BIOS are better. It's a little disappointing because I have a Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H on my big Haswell system that I built a few years back and the BIOS on that board are very good a few minor gripes aside. The BIOS here feel very stripped down by comparison. I thought maybe it was a Ryzen thing, and while a bit of that is true the Gigabyte BIOS at least on this board leave a bit to be desired.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Hi guys, could you help a bit? I am a noob at OCing ram so I may be doing something wrong.
So I have F4-3866C18-8GTZ which is bdie
But I cannot change anything over 2133mhz, so I think I am missing something?
I set settings, dram voltage to 1.35 and timings to 14-14-14-36, for both sticks, but it will not boot to even 2933 without resetting to 2133.

I tried F3 bios, and also F2 bios and no luck.
But weird thing is that HWiNFO shows 1.550 voltage for the cpu regardless of bios.

I am pretty sure I am doing/not doing lots of things so what can you guys think off?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I have the Asrock board but set the bios to restore defaults to unwind any changes you may have made. Then see if you have the option to set XMP in Ram settings. May get your memory going.

HWInfo will show 1.55v when it starts up too soon after you boot your pc. I can see that on my system as well. Get to your desktop and after a few minutes manually launch HWinfo. CPU vcore Is right for me when I do that.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Yeah, I set to default and tried a lot of things
XMP didnt work as it is at 3866mhz, and I set all the timings to match exactly that but with a lower frequency (like 2933 or 3200), and it didn't work.
I even tried 2400, and it didn't work.
Basically I tried everything.

Also, it does this click sound every time I change ram settings.
And a small flash of light. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Ricdeau

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
First I would start by doing what TheHig said, and reset your BIOS defaults. From there don't change anything except trying to set the XMP profile for your RAM. That should set your DRAM voltage, and timings so you won't need to change anything else. 3866 is a bit much so it might not boot, but try the XMP profile first. If you can't boot then fall back to setting things manually. Set DRAM for 1.35v, try 3200MHz (I was able to do 3200MHz no problems on the Gigabyte), and set your timings to 16-16-16-39. If you can boot with that, then move on to trying to tighten down timings.

Also your screen that shows Core VID voltage. You can pretty much ignore that. Look at CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) and Vcore. You'll be able to see them if you scroll down a bit in HWinfo. For me since I had issues setting vcore in BIOS I was using Ryzen Master, and the vcore would show what I set it to in the application, and the CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) would show what the CPU was actually using.

Edit - Just saw your reply. The beep thing is normal with the Gigabyte boards I've had. I've noticed that sometimes they also get caught in a loop when changing RAM settings. My last three Gigabyte boards including this one have done that on occasion.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
No luck I am afraid.
Resetting to default.
Placing xmp on and changing the frequency to even the default 2133 doesn't work.

Could the ram be faulty? It was second hand, but it wouldn't boot even at 2133 if it was faulty right?

Ricdeau

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Yeah, I was about to suggest testing each DIMM by itself. Download Memtest86 and run it against each DIMM. If you get errors it can be indicative of a bad OC or faulty memory. You can try several speeds/timings to see what the breaking point is.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Thank you. I'll try and do memtest. But here is a stupid question.

In the bios you have timing numbers in the left and on the right.
The ones on the right are the default ones and don't change regardless what you do

You just type numbers on the left and then go to save and exit right?

I'm asking this because cpu z just shows my default huge cas 18 timings that are the defaults for my 3866 memory. But it shows the correct half speed for 3200mhz

Edit: nvm Cpu-z is picking the timings right now

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I set the ram to 40x for the heck of it, and then when I crashed and booted back into the BIOS it gave a message that your BioS has been set to default, and everything went smooth after. I tested every stick seperately. and on both points. I think the set to default settings thing doesnt do it properly.

Also, I havent run any benchmarks yet, but gaming hasn't taken VRM temps over 52 C.
I did place a be quiet 80mm fan over it though.