ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
To make it possible, I'm using :

- a H110 Thin Mini-ITX board,
- an inward 90° powered riser designed and made by @QinX,
- a GPU with a single slot IO,
- a 200 mm heatsink replacing the back panel,
- a Thermasol Flat Coolpipe to transfer the heat from the CPU to the heatsink previously mentioned (CPU cooler height : 5 mm :)

Very cool; great thinking! How much did that Flat Coolpipe cost? Which MHP model (thickness, width, length) did you use?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks @ricochet :)

I'm using a 40mm coolpipe, which is enough to handle a 35W CPU (pic to follow).
In my final build, I'll use a 50mm, to improve a bit the contact surface between the heatsink and the coolpipe.

They cost between 10€ and 15e on eBay :) (and also Farnell).

Reactions: ricochet

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Curious about those flat thermasol heatpipes "coolpipes" . Did some research on effectiveness.

Users suggest they are for 35W-65W CPUs, which -these days- covers a LOT of stuff. I've also heard that their orientation affects cooling performance? Any experience there, how does orientation/gravity affect performance?

Last edited:
Reactions: ricochet

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Yes, orientation does matter a great deal.
The pipes work best vertically, as the gavity helps the condensated liquid (acetone), to return from the heatsink on top to the heat source at the bottom.

There are other factors as well. To quote Amec staff :

Actually there is no specific length of the condensing section.
Tt is basically dependant on several factors such as the heat power, the thermal performance of the condensing medium, the orientation of the pipe. Basically, it can be quite variable.

That's why I bent the pipe in my current build (also to shorten the whole thing :)

Some of my first experiments are visible here :
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...-discrete-graphics-card.529/page-4#post-33521

I'll start a proper thread this week.

tgdeen

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 4, 2020
couldn't you cut the backplane for the gpu header and rest the gpu on the motherboard slot, than you don't need a riser.