CPU Case like the Lone L5

jhautz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Hey all. Looking for some advice on a small case for a low-profile GPU like the Lone L5. I have an L5 that I use as an HTPC case and I love it. I am trying to put together a PC that will be used as a portable streaming only build. Not game streaming. Just streaming from a couple of cameras thru OBS and 2 Elgato Cam links. My thought is I will either use one of the low-profile Arc A380 cards that are out there or one of the new 6GB RTX 3050 cards that just got released. I just like how sloid the L5 is and the fact that space for dual full thickness 8mm fans for exhausting hot air.

Anyway. Long story short. I would love another Lone L5 case but those are impossible to get now so I am looking for suggestions to something similar. I haven't had my ear to the ground on the SFF scene lately and google hasn't really helped my find anything I like. I considered the Velka 3 or one of the half dozen velka 3 clone cases on amazon but I really dont want to deal with riser cables and the Flex PSU with the tiny fans and noise that goes with that kind of case. I have an older Velka 3 v1.2 that just feels flimsy and not durable enough for a life on the go.

Keys for me are: small, solid simple build, and durable. Thanks for any input and help in my quest for an L5 clone!!!

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
The L5 to me looks aesthetically the most pleasing case of all time. As for a 5L riserless case that is made to accomodate a low profile dual slot gpu and two 80mm case fans, I would suggest the A24-v5.

Reactions: rfarmer

jhautz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
That looks like it just might fit the bill for me. I am not in love with the fact that it takes the Flex PSU but I think I might try this and figure out how to get one of the HDPlex GAN PSUs into this instead. So far that's the best option I have seen unless anyone else has other ideas. I would have never found this being an AliExpress only item. Thanks for the suggestion. And I actually love the handle on this case. That might actually be what pushes me to give this a shot. Nothing says portable like a solid handle. LOL

And I agree with you that the L5 is the best looking case by far. But in this use I really am not that worried about the look as much as the durability. And this LZ case looks like a nice solid chunk of aluminum.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
For me, the handle is not very appealing as I would never transport a case that way instead of just picking it up single handedly or putting it in a snug camera bag if it's an actual haul between one place to another. And even the feet seems a bit unstable compared to those you could buy separately. Anyway if it comes with those accessories, then you're looking at the 2nd version of the case where you can mount fans under the gpu too, so that's nice.
As for the psu, someone used a GaN 250w passive one from HDPlex and it seemingly works. However, I would definitely go with flex-atx, it's just more reliable and operates much cooler and have 400-450w to back that up. something like this one. that's modular, platinum, black and already silent as is.

jhautz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Thanks for the link to those build photos. I ordered the A24-V5 case and it definitely helps to see that it works. I am curious as to why you say the GAN PSU is not reliable? I have one of the 250W GAN units running in another machine and it has been stellar running a 13400 and a RTX 4060 with no issues. It doesn't have headroom on power for overclocking, but it handles that hardware fine at stock settings. That is definitely a more powerful setup than I am planning for this little streaming machine so I would think it will be fine here too. Is there something I don't know about the GaN units? The hdplex stuff has always been top notch for me.

Reactions: k0n and rfarmer

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
Is there something I don't know about the GaN units? The hdplex stuff has always been top notch for me.

I wanted to ask the same thing initially.

(I wouldn't recommend a Flex-ATX myself, and you already stated that you are aware of how "silent" they are.)

Before that I had a 200W combo that I used instead of a Flex-ATX (R5 3600 / R9 Nano)... (~1 year?) it went on to power the same configuration but with a 1650 Super for a friend. And he sold it fully functional another 2 years later,. Can't say anything negative about HDPLEX.

Reactions: Phuncz