confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Nope, this is a mainstream vehicle, with some versions being equipped with a popular performance engine, and another variant being the first in the line for a modern technology!

SFFMunkee

Buy first, justify later?
Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2021
The grille makes me think of like a Subaru Liberty/Legacy/Outback front though.. hm gonna keep trawling through AutoTrader NZ hahaha

::EDIT:: Christ I wish you could sort AutoTrader by make/model alphabetically, would make this so much faster

SFFMunkee

Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2021
FOUND IT

It was another long wikipedia hover through all the Subaru models (I never knew there was an Impreza-Saab!), all the Lexus models... and.... all the Nissan models...

Never even heard of it! But apparently there's a variant called the Altra which was an EV in 1998-2002 - the first to use Lithium Ion batteries!! (Would've been a great clue if I'd known of its existence at all)

SFFMunkee

Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2021
Nobody’s even gonna have a guess, huh?
Hints: it’s electric, it’s from the 20th century

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I've been busy XD

Hmmmmmmm. Also, is that the front or the back of the car?!

Did the manufacturer modify Toyota/Scion BB/XBs into EVs and feature on a relatively recent Aging Wheels video?

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233

SFFMunkee

Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2021
I've been busy XD

Hmmmmmmm. Also, is that the front or the back of the car?!

Did the manufacturer modify Toyota/Scion BB/XBs into EVs and feature on a relatively recent Aging Wheels video?
1) I'm glad you asked, I was sure this would be the first comment! This is the REAR of the car

2) That's..... a good question. I'm not sure! I think they were 100% hand-built, and possibly only 2 or 3 made.
They've been attributed as a direct inspiration for Eberhard and Tarpenning to build the Tesla Roadster after the original makers decided not to move forward with developing the car for production.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It's the AC Propulsion Tzero.

1996-ac-propulsion-tzero.jpeg

Elon Musk was interested in investing in AC Propulsion to get their Tzero in production, which was Eberhand's plan as well. Instead, Musk invested his money in Tesla Motors. AC Propulsion started doing electric conversions on the Scion xB, renaming it eBox, and focused on contract work, such as helping electrify the Mini. This journey from EV1 to Tesla involved San Dimas and has become a significant part of electric-car history.