Concept Carbon Fibre PC Cases (Modcase Project Update)

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
Hi Everyone! I've upped some updates on my Insta, thought I'd post it here and answer some questions for anyone interested. I'm cutting a batch soon for my self and friends.

The case has moved into production work. Hundreds of hours have been done on yield and construction optimizations alone. Modcase is happening!

For those seeing this project for the first time, I'm an Australian designer who made a lightweight PC case for myself the way I like it. It's real Carbon Fibre, is modular and expandable in volume.

Turns out, other people like it too. Many have encouraged me to make it a real product. (*More about me at the bottom of post.)

Turning a one-off build into a product is quite costly and time intensive. Especially so for Carbon Fibre.

It’s been 2 years and 4 rounds of small production runs. About 17 'types' of MODCASEs were made to explore more cost effective ways to construct a carbon chassis.

Past 3 months have been purely production optimizations. Squeezing as much as possible out of a sheet and using the CFRP in a way that exploits its rigidity.

Lastly, optimization is more than just True Shape nesting, it's also a balance with ease of construction for the user.

Soon, 2 top contenders will be sent out for testing. Feedback will then be integrated before final release.

NOTES:

👉Release date - hoping for this year. A few steps are involved before we get to the public release. Thank you all for your patience.

👉Carbon Fibre side plates will be offered to the first 100. Only because in small numbers, CNC Carbon plates are not much more expensive than steel or plastic.

👉A Second, completely different Carbon SFF case will be posted shortly.

*I’ve been in manufacturing for about 20 years since I left school, as woodworker, then industrial designer, Mech. engineer and finally marketing manager of Altendorf GMBH (Asia Pacific Division). I’ve recently left my wonderful team and am now putting my expertise in a range of Carbon Fibre products in other industries.

Edit, some new images enjoy

Light weight. 4 slots.

Rails removed from GPU side.

Rails added to CPU side. 280mm Rads fit.

6 L-Brackets hold the 280mm Rad.

About 71mm CPU tower and 4slot GPU width in this image.

PSU mounts carry SSD.

Last edited:

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I know there's a smaller case and a 12.5L one. Would it be possible to have a sandwich and standard layout package work. I don't know if it works out volume wise with the sandwich having top and bottom exhaust fans to get to that height. I'd imagine it would need a middle spine and riser set up, a different back plate, back side too, but I'd imagine the top, bottom and front and one side could be the same and the psu mount could be reused, just moved. Width would just be adding and subtracting with this system. If not, it would be my mod project. Mesh would be less important since I don't mind it being more open.

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
I know there's a smaller case and a 12.5L one. Would it be possible to have a sandwich and standard layout package work. I don't know if it works out volume wise with the sandwich having top and bottom exhaust fans to get to that height. I'd imagine it would need a middle spine and riser set up, a different back plate, back side too, but I'd imagine the top, bottom and front and one side could be the same and the psu mount could be reused, just moved. Width would just be adding and subtracting with this system. If not, it would be my mod project. Mesh would be less important since I don't mind it being more open.

Yea I know what you mean, it's been shown to a few people. The issue is cost, as this sandwich without Riser requires Height as well as Width Expansion and is a bit expensive for the beginning. Also, it almost becomes around 12.5L.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
@haydnbao Thanks. Cost constraints are real. I was mostly exploring the flexibility to do this with the structure of how this case is built and the modular aspect of it. It seems it could have less wasted parts than what the Formd T1 v2 and JIMU D+ want to do with conversion kits. I also don't expect it to be actually practical for most people to warrant offering it since for most, once a case is built, they are done so extra parts might not be worth it. (I haven't used my 3 slot bracket from my T1 at all). Only in the instance of a part change but I think that's accounted for in this design already by adding or subtracting panels.

Reactions: haydnbao

bigjimmy

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2017
Nice case! I would prefer the carbon side to show off the Carbon rather than glass or mesh. I love to get it when available!

lurkersffpc

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 10, 2022
Just wanted to say that my interest is very high for this case. On your instagram, I saw the 2nd design. It looks like there's a possibility of using an iceman reservoir/pump on the rear. Could you confirm?

Thanks!

Reactions: haydnbao

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
Just wanted to say that my interest is very high for this case. On your instagram, I saw the 2nd design. It looks like there's a possibility of using an iceman reservoir/pump on the rear. Could you confirm?

Thanks!
Yes sir! you've correctly spotted it. Though I didn't mention it because I haven't actually got one. It's one of the things the test group will try out.

Reactions: lurkersffpc

haydnbao

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
Nice case! I would prefer the carbon side to show off the Carbon rather than glass or mesh. I love to get it when available!
Yea I agree. Disregard the pictured glass for now, as I have to order TG in volume. The initial ones will have real carbon side panels with filter backing.