News FSP modular flex-atx psu computex 2019

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
Wait, is it the same. Size? Because the looks a lot wider.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Is a fanless Flex PSU (high wattage) out of the question? There are two fanless designs we have seen lately; SilverStone (SFX-L) and Seasonic (ATX). Would be nice to get rid of that small fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kooki

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Is a fanless Flex PSU (high wattage) out of the question? There are two fanless designs we have seen lately; SilverStone (SFX-L) and Seasonic (ATX). Would be nice to get rid of that small fan.
While I don't know the FlexATX spec, this seems unlikely - after all, the design seems designed with the assumption of server-like installation, i.e. enclosed in a tight-fitting case with front-to-back airflow. This means no outside airflow or space for convection to help with cooling, and nowhere for produced heat to be dissipated to without a fan. I guess you could custom design one to fit a case where the side panels of the PSU would get some airflow (or be exposed outside of the case for convection), but that wouldn't work in the vast majority of cases, making it impossible to sell.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
It also appears that the 250 W unit is 80+ Bronze certified and the 300 W unit is 80+ Gold certified. Neither ship with any power cord included.

Why would they put "90 plus certified" in the description? It only makes them look less trustworthy.

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I wonder if the lack of power cord is so they can sell it different markets without needing to put in a local version. Despite this I would expect the US plug to be in there at the very least. Seems crazy not to.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It also appears that the 250 W unit is 80+ Bronze certified and the 300 W unit is 80+ Gold certified. Neither ship with any power cord included.

Why would they put "90 plus certified" in the description? It only makes them look less trustworthy.
Yeah, that's really weird. Might be a thing for the Chinese market, given the seeming prevalence of FlexATX cases on Taobao? That's where the "90+" nonsense originated at least, so on the surface it adds up. Still, my assumption when seeing a "90+" PSU is "Oh, great, someone didn't want to pay for 80+ certification, and now we have no idea about its actual efficiency".

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I wonder if the lack of power cord is so they can sell it different markets without needing to put in a local version. Despite this I would expect the US plug to be in there at the very least. Seems crazy not to.

Before the release of the 250 W model, there was mention of a North American power cord being included regardless of region. This is likely because they all ship from the same location. Now, it says in the description of those power supplies that it is not included.

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Before the release of the 250 W model, there was mention of a North American power cord being included regardless of region. This is likely because they all ship from the same location. Now, it says in the description of those power supplies that it is not included.

It's completely bizarre. It's like buying a phone or a handheld console that comes with no charger. Apply that logic to PSU's.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It's completely bizarre. It's like buying a phone or a handheld console that comes with no charger. Apply that logic to PSU's.
Except that power cords are generic and universally compatible products that pretty much everyone interested has a few spares of lying around, and if not they are dirt cheap. Would be annoying not to have one when needed, obviously.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Nice! I wonder if they will include a wire output diagram with the product. Custom wiring will be the way to go to slim down the mess.

Spud Murphy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 14, 2019
Damn, just bought one locally for my new mini ITX build, ended up win an InWin 315W FlexATX PS (80+ gold) as was the only thing available. Out of curiosity I thought I would see what shipping for the FSP supply was to Tasmania, PS is US$95, shipping is $176 because they only have UPS expedited. I guess they only want to sell them in the US...