SFF.Network Silverstone Starts Shipping Flex ATX 350W Power Supply

Almost a year after unveiling at Computex 2017, Silverstone is now ready to supply the market with it's first commercial Flex ATX form factor PSU, the FX350-G.

Read more here.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Both MSI and Gigabyte ITX 1060 6gb models use 1*6pin cable, and nVidia recommends 400W power supplies for 1060s.
'Recommended' PSU ratings are basically "we have to assume you're using some brute-force-motherboard-auto-overclocked CPU, along with the world's dodgiest PSU that might sustain it's on-the-box rated power output for a few fractions of a second before it lets the magic blue smoke out" power ratings, to avoid said cheap-PSU-purchasers complaining when something inevitably fails. Actual power consumption ends up being far below that.
Looks like it would be possible to change the fan to a noctua part without opening it. Depends where then fan header is
Make sure to check the airflow ratings for the original fan and the Noctua fan if you do: reducing the airflow effectively downrates the safe power rating of the PSU.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
So it seems like this is still the only truly consumer-friendly FlexATX PSU on the market. Does anyone know if I would be okay using a 2-molex-to-8-pin adapter off of the dual molex cable to run a 1070/1080? Could the cable take 180W?

dan1337

Caliper Novice
May 7, 2018
So it seems like this is still the only truly consumer-friendly FlexATX PSU on the market. Does anyone know if I would be okay using a 2-molex-to-8-pin adapter off of the dual molex cable to run a 1070/1080? Could the cable take 180W?
The molex gives ~60w on 12v rail but only 5A. Plus you get ~75 from the pcie slot. So ~195w. I would not do it for fear of something melting or worse. Also the amperage will not be enough even if the wattage is.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#peripheral

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
The molex gives ~60w on 12v rail but only 5A. Plus you get ~75 from the pcie slot. So ~195w. I would not do it for fear of something melting or worse. Also the amperage will not be enough even if the wattage is.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#peripheral
For a given voltage, ampere and watt are directly linked: W=V*A. So if the "wattage is enough" on the 12v line, the amperage is fine too.

That said, I too would be worried if someone were to pull a constant 100W @12v (or even more) from a jury-rigged setup as described.

Issue 1: the "Molex" terminals (They are actually originally made by AMP, not Molex ;) ).
The connectors have 1x12V and 2xGND pins. Even doubling them up (so 2x12V + 4xGND) you are still one 12V cable short of what you would find on a PCIe 8pin connector.
In addition, "Molex" connectors are rated for considerably less current than the PCIe connectors (which are Mini-Fit Jr. Connectors, now actually produced by Molex :D ) - 5A vs 9A per pin - and have a subpar mating reliability.
So for the 12V line we are looking at 2*5A*12V = max 120 Watt and for the GND line 4*5A*12V = 240 Watt
If even a single one of the 12v pins is not mating properly we are down to 60 Watts. If you are pulling 100W at that point you'll melt the connector right off.

Issue 2: the cable itself.
If a single cable - as it seems to be the case with the FlexATX PSU in question - feeds the 12V pins on both "Molex" connectors, the wire has to be of appropriate thickness to handle the combined load.
If the cable is 18AWG the combined load should be below ~10A, thus 120 Watt. If the cable is thinner it has to be further downrated (for example 20AWG = ~6A = 72 Watt).

Issue 3: the connection inside the PSU.
We just don't know how the wires are terminated inside the PSU. Even if the connectors and the wire can handle the load, the termination inside the PSU might not.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Great, thank you for the breakdown guys. So I assume it would probably work but you risk overloading the wires or the terminals inside the PSU. I really wish they'd put an 8-pin on this unit, 6-pin limits you to a 1060. Maybe they'll release a higher wattage unit that will support that.

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
Great, thank you for the breakdown guys. So I assume it would probably work but you risk overloading the wires or the terminals inside the PSU. I really wish they'd put an 8-pin on this unit, 6-pin limits you to a 1060. Maybe they'll release a higher wattage unit that will support that.
I was working under the assumption you need two 8-pin PCIe Plugs for something like an SLI setup (which in retrospect is probably stupid, considering the overall output of 350W)

Extending a 6-pin to an 8-pin is actually pretty save. The 8-pin only adds two more GND lines after all. You could even pull those from the "Molex" cable strand for a completely in spec 8-pin if you are up for a little bit of cable crimping and resleeving.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I was working under the assumption you need two 8-pin PCIe Plugs for something like an SLI setup (which in retrospect is probably stupid, considering the overall output of 350W)

Extending a 6-pin to an 8-pin is actually pretty save. The 8-pin only adds two more GND lines after all. You could even pull those from the "Molex" cable strand for a completely in spec 8-pin if you are up for a little bit of cable crimping and resleeving.

Nope, just a single 8-pin for a 150-180W card. It makes a lot more sense to adapt the 6-pin, you're right. I don't know why I was thinking of using the 4-pin cables... And I had no idea the 2 additional pins in the 8-pin were ground, I guess all the adapters simply connect the two grounds together which is good enough. Thanks.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Probably not but would it be possible to use 6-pin to 8-pin adapter for itx gtx 1070? This psu looks like it can handle 65w cpu and gtx1070. A simple system with gpu, cpu, ram and ssd pulls about 22A from 12V line. This psu is capable of supporting up to 29.17A.

edit: Well it is listed to support up to RX 580 or 1070Ti but why putting 6 pin connector then..

Last edited:

ThePilgrim

Cable Smoosher
May 14, 2019
Thoughts on this PSU:

It works.
It looks well made.
The wires are made of unobtainium.
The rubbers attaching the “cable sleeves”, are much too large and are cemented to the wires.
This thing is L O U D. Borderline, laughably...
It’s not a good mate for the CG7 Cravo.(insanely stiff cables and power switch makes modding the flex adapter plate, necessary)
I can’t exactly rate its performance as its only powering an R5 2400G.

Thankfully it’s only temporary.

I’ll add some better pics of the wraps and connectors once I get the hdplex in its place.

The wrap on the 8pin could have been half the size...

Last edited: