SFF.Network Silverstone Starts Shipping Flex ATX 350W Power Supply

Almost a year after unveiling at Computex 2017, Silverstone is now ready to supply the market with it's first commercial Flex ATX form factor PSU, the FX350-G.

Read more here.

FullForceRainbow

Trash Compacter
May 12, 2016
Any word on MSRP? I think that's probably the main draw for this over a setup like the HDPlex 400w and an internal adapter. It probably takes up the same amount of space but for half or less of the price. Though I don't think the FX350-G is as elegant (non-modular cables, potentially loud fan), I think it's exciting if you're on a budget :)!

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Looks huge! And it wont fit my s4m. Id rather go with HDPlex and Dell bricks.

I don't think the s4m was designed with using one of these in the first place, so no, I wouldn't expect it to fit either.

Also, based one some Google-fu and quick maths, this unit is smaller than the Dell 330w power brick, so for someone like me who doesn't want to use external bricks, this is a great option.

Reactions: cmyk78

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Cool, good to see Flex coming more and more to market.

I am always worried about noise with these things, but everyone, it is OK, see? It is silent!

o_O

conzy

Cable Smoosher
Feb 27, 2018
Looks like it would be possible to change the fan to a noctua part without opening it. Depends where then fan header is

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Looks huge! And it wont fit my s4m. Id rather go with HDPlex and Dell bricks.

Thats kind of like looking at an 18 wheeler and going "looks huge, i'll use my mini cooper". Different tools for different tasks.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
wonder if 2020 would be the year of kilowatt SFX and 700W FLX o_o
What's the highest SFX now, 800w SFX-L from Silverstone, correct? I hope they stay strong in the PSU department, maybe even set some new expectations for other manufacturers to follow.

For flex, I just want a 500w one that doesn't dound like an airplane.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
IIRC I don't think we'll see anything greater than 800w in SFX for a bit - it's hard for the manufacturers to see such a power need for the form factor, as well as the general "duhhhhh but i want a 140mm fan and modular thing and rgb and giant and derrrrrrrr" behaviour of the mass market.

conzy

Cable Smoosher
Feb 27, 2018
I also think we have passed the peak power consumption era. There is no need for continual PSU capacity increases.

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
What's the highest SFX now, 800w SFX-L from Silverstone, correct? I hope they stay strong in the PSU department, maybe even set some new expectations for other manufacturers to follow.

For flex, I just want a 500w one that doesn't dound like an airplane.
That one sucks. I got my first unit burnt down after 4 hours of prime 95 test. The second one cannot feed a Vega 64 very well either.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
A bit disappointed with this PSU. No black cables, no modular cables, and it only comes with a 6-pin PCIe, not an 8-pin. Seriously? What card out there only uses a 6-pin? That's gotta be a limitation of whatever OEM they're using as FlexATX traditionally doesn't come with PCIe cables.

I was hoping this would be the first truly consumer-friendly FlexATX PSU, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I believe you may be expecting too much from a 350W consumer flex-atx PSU at this time :p The only modular units I've seen thus far are server units (loud ASF), or hand made variants.

Also, quite a few mid range cards are 6 pin only. (Reference units of the R9-250x, R9-260, GTX1060, etc, as well as many aftermarket designs)

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
A bit disappointed with this PSU. No black cables, no modular cables, and it only comes with a 6-pin PCIe, not an 8-pin. Seriously? What card out there only uses a 6-pin? That's gotta be a limitation of whatever OEM they're using as FlexATX traditionally doesn't come with PCIe cables.

I was hoping this would be the first truly consumer-friendly FlexATX PSU, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Both MSI and Gigabyte ITX 1060 6gb models use 1*6pin cable, and nVidia recommends 400W power supplies for 1060s.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Oh right, the 1060. Well it's the only one on the nVidia side, I'm not too familiar with AMD GPUs' power requirements. But you could comfortably power a 180W card + a 95W CPU with a 350W PSU, so they should have included an 8-pin. I suppose you could use a dual molex-to-8-pin adapter. Still, it just seems like all they did was paint an OEM unit black and sleeve the cables. Does anyone know who their OEM is for this? Enhance?

For modular cables, all you need is to extend the floor of the unit a bit and put a PCB with connectors on there. And then they could have used their own ribbon cables for it. It would require some R&D and special manufacturing, but... that's what you do for a new product. Silverstone invented SFX, that required R&D too. I'm not complaining, I just think they could have done more.