News FSP modular flex-atx psu computex 2019

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I understand that these FlexATX PSU:s are mostly used for servers, but it seems a very consumer friendly one could be produced for mini-itx systems, in theory.

Let's say:

300W (fanless, "platinum" rating components, heatsinks, perforated casing, modular, 24pin motherboard, 4+4pin CPU, 6+2pin GPU.

Impossible? At least the FSP FlexGURU is a step in the right direction with regards to looks.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I understand that these FlexATX PSU:s are mostly used for servers, but it seems a very consumer friendly one could be produced for mini-itx systems, in theory.

Let's say:

300W (fanless, "platinum" rating components, heatsinks, perforated casing, modular, 24pin motherboard, 4+4pin CPU, 6+2pin GPU.

Impossible? At least the FSP FlexGURU is a step in the right direction with regards to looks.
Fanless FlexATX would break with the standard (the standard includes fan placement and airflow rules/guidelines) and be incompatible with any but the most well ventilated cases. Even at platinum you'd need to be able to dissipate ~20W of heat, which is not trivial - especially when the heat source is enclosed by thermally nonconductive panels on three out of four large sides as it would be in most cases. You would also likely need to sacrifice internal space to make the side panels thick enough for the fins to create necessary surface area to dissipate the heat. GaN would help in this regard though.

Is it impossible? No, Streacom has a passive 240W kinda-sorta FlexATX unit already. It's not cheap, though. And it's pretty much purpose built for their cases.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015

Let's say:

FSP made a 150W fanless flexATX(FSP150-50FGBBB) since discontinued, I am using one in my sig rig, have another stashed. A 300W version using GaN should be a slam dunk. I have run hours on end at high CPU usage without heating issues.

Reactions: Kooki