Power Supply FSP FSP500-30AS Modular Flex PSU from GEEEK, anyone have one?

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Why would anyone want this crap when they can have a Gan PS that is smaller than HDplex which has an aluminum case that is more efficient, better built, and only $70.00 more? Old tech vs new tech.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

CeleryGod

Caliper Novice
Jul 8, 2023
Why would anyone want this crap when they can have a Gan PS that is smaller than HDplex which has an aluminum case that is more efficient, better built, and only $70.00 more? Old tech vs new tech.

Do you have a name or link of this PSU? I have the HDPlex 250w, but if there's something smaller I'd be interested. Thanks!

dukedevil0

Cable Smoosher
Jan 18, 2024
Does anyone have any idea how that modular FSP500-30AS set up above is even possible?

There was chatter long ago about this PSU (proprietary OEM from the Intel NUC9) and it was understood that it was not compatible with a standard 24-pin ATX motherboard. This was due to this PSU using a 10-pin connector along with there apparently being no 5v rail, just a 5vsb as shown on the label. I'm assuming there must be something internally that is already converting to and outputting 5v for the 5vsb signal, so do we think it was just modified in some way to provide a separate 5v rail as well?

Tempted to order one just for research purposes...

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2017
Does anyone have any idea how that modular FSP500-30AS set up above is even possible?

There was chatter long ago about this PSU (proprietary OEM from the Intel NUC9) and it was understood that it was not compatible with a standard 24-pin ATX motherboard. This was due to this PSU using a 10-pin connector along with there apparently being no 5v rail, just a 5vsb as shown on the label. I'm assuming there must be something internally that is already converting to and outputting 5v for the 5vsb signal, so do we think it was just modified in some way to provide a separate 5v rail as well?

Tempted to order one just for research purposes...

I'd be happy to send it over if you genuinely plan to pull it apart and take pics. It's the only flex PSU I have on hand at the moment but I could consider grabbing another unit temporarily. I have the 8345L on preorder at Overtek that will replace this but that's going to be a few months out. Or maybe I just pull it apart myself, I haven't even plugged it in yet.

Reactions: dukedevil0

dukedevil0

Cable Smoosher
Jan 18, 2024
I'd be happy to send it over if you genuinely plan to pull it apart and take pics. It's the only flex PSU I have on hand at the moment but I could consider grabbing another unit temporarily. I have the 8345L on preorder at Overtek that will replace this but that's going to be a few months out. Or maybe I just pull it apart myself, I haven't even plugged it in yet.
Super nice of you to think of that option, but I’m far from having sufficient expertise! I would not feel comfortable opening up someone else’s PSU they just dropped money on. I would be really interested in hearing your thoughts on how it works once you’ve got it running. And perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in on how those units are modified.

Reactions: rcodi

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I'm skeptical because of the price but I noticed this modded FSP unit on the GEEEK store. Stumbled on it after finding the non-modular proprietary cable version on eBay super cheap, wondering if anyone is running one right now.

this is legit - you can also find tons of them on TaoBao (modded & unmodded) for really cheap and with good customer comments

e.g.: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?ab...1n57.1.0.0.5bc8523cTxFLaI&skuId=5070742068125

since INTEL stopped production of the NUCs, I think FSP is just trying to get rid of their stock

having owned a NUC with this PSU, I can say it's a great and quiet FLEX PSU

dukedevil0

Cable Smoosher
Jan 18, 2024
@Overtek I know you're pretty well versed in PSU mods, any thoughts on how this PSU is modded to add a 5V rail? perhaps it already generates 5V internally and just wasn't outputting it via the OEM cables and connectors?

Reactions: rcodi

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
this is legit . . .

. . . having owned a NUC with this PSU, I can say it's a great and quiet FLEX PSU

Sheesh, unmodded $30 or Make an Offer and $10 shipping. I don't need it, I don't need it, I don't need it . . .

Reactions: dukedevil0

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
@Overtek I know you're pretty well versed in PSU mods, any thoughts on how this PSU is modded to add a 5V rail? perhaps it already generates 5V internally and just wasn't outputting it via the OEM cables and connectors?
A simple DC-DC buck converter will make 5v (or run the 12v wires into a PicoPSU or similar.) How much 5v does a system use these days? USB and SATA?

(Unless of course the design included a 5V power stage that was removed to make the unit Intel requested. In which case re-installing those components should bring back the 5v rail.)

dukedevil0

Cable Smoosher
Jan 18, 2024
Sheesh, unmodded $30 or Make an Offer and $10 shipping. I don't need it, I don't need it, I don't need it . . .

That's been on my watchlist for awhile, but had basically disregarded it after reading previous discussion about it not being compatible. With renewed optimism due to the modded unit, I just offered $20 (+ the $10 shipping) and it was accepted!

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
just offered $20 (+ the $10 shipping) and it was accepted!
Not helping the part hoarding part of my brain 🤣. I am curious what you find inside. I forgot about the 3.3v rail, might still be looking at a PicoPSU as the simplest setup (This would be an amazing PSU for an eGPU as-is)

Last edited:

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
A simple DC-DC buck converter will make 5v (or run the 12v wires into a PicoPSU or similar.) How much 5v does a system use these days? USB and SATA?

(Unless of course the design included a 5V power stage that was removed to make the unit Intel requested. In which case re-installing those components should bring back the 5v rail.)
Yep add a dcdc or just tie it into 5vsb. Will be easy to tell if no dcdc added and tied to 5Vsb as every 5V DC pin will be live with mains present without ps on taken active low

Or because of the way FSP and most work it maybe present on the PCB with terminals, as it will be more time effective to use an existing PCB design and layout than redesign. It's common to use well known circuit designs in blocks this way,

But don't ask me, I'm trying to get the new Enhance 450W platinum done and out. Almost there

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
Ugh, I put my offer in. We'll see what it has inside. That little porch with modular plugs is neat, but I'll probably just go custom cables from a blown up Silencer 760 I have here.

vinnyoflegend

Trash Compacter
Mar 18, 2022
Not helping the part hoarding part of my brain 🤣. I am curious what you find inside. I forgot about the 3.3v rail, might still be looking at a PicoPSU as the simplest setup (This would be an amazing PSU for an eGPU as-is)
Haha I'm also tempted to pick one up just to tinker with. For 3.3v, it does look like it has a rating for that on the sticker.

But couldn't anything required by the 24p ATX be easily rigged up with the J-HACK M2426? Since it passes through 12v and generates 5v and 3.3v itself. https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=j-hack-m2426-customizable-kit

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
according to the TaoBao product page I have linked, it has all the voltages needed, except for -12V

a while ago I had an AsRock board which still required that -12V but I think most modern boards should run fine without it

1705978292696.png

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
Haha I'm also tempted to pick one up just to tinker with. For 3.3v, it does look like it has a rating for that on the sticker.

But couldn't anything required by the 24p ATX be easily rigged up with the J-HACK M2426? Since it passes through 12v and generates 5v and 3.3v itself. https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=j-hack-m2426-customizable-kit
I hadn't seen the J-Hack before. Am I correct in thinking I can wire it to a Xbox Power brick that has it's own 5v standby and PS On signal? That's something I've been wanting.

according to the TaoBao product page I have linked, it has all the voltages needed . . .
That's what convinced me. Even if I don't have a build for it I can definitely use it as a test PSU, easy to grab when troubleshooting a friend's PC too.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
That's what convinced me. Even if I don't have a build for it I can definitely use it as a test PSU, easy to grab when troubleshooting a friend's PC too.

cool! maybe you can share some shots of the internals when you get it :)

I'd buy one myself but I already have enough PSUs - for now XD

vinnyoflegend

Trash Compacter
Mar 18, 2022
I hadn't seen the J-Hack before. Am I correct in thinking I can wire it to a Xbox Power brick that has it's own 5v standby and PS On signal? That's something I've been wanting.
I'm not familiar with the Xbox Powerbrick but yes it looks like it has the exact wires the j-hack is looking for (5vsb, ps on, and multiple 12v and ground). The only issue with the j-hack module is that it seems to be in back order, no clear ETA on what it would be available.