SFF.Network SFX-L Computex 2017 roundup

There sure were SFX-L units all over the exhibit hall at Computex this year!

I love this because I truly believe that SFX and SFX-L have the potential to supplant ATX as the standard form factors for PC power supplies (reducing the space the PSU takes up inside the case in the process), and we’re starting to reach an inflection point of SFX and SFX-L PSU availability from multiple companies.

Read more here.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Absolutely, I was amazed how many there were after I started looking into it.

Assuming Super Flower releases two models themselves, there's 14 models from 450W to 750W split across 9 brands, 3-4 OEMs, and 6 platforms. They are all fully modular and at least Gold-rated other than the budget Raijintek.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I love the warranties that typically come with EVGA PSUs so it's exciting to see EVGA join the fray. Hopefully this will cause a steady stream of competition in the SFX market.

Perhaps with the rise of SFX PSU's we'll also see a decline of ATX support in the chassis market.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm really surprised Seasonic still doesn't feel the need to do SFX or SFX-L. I mean just look at how many OEMs now have SFX or SFX-L platforms:
  • Andyson
  • CWT
  • Enhance
  • Fortech/Segotep
  • FSP
  • Great Wall
  • Sirfa/High Power
  • Super Flower

Reactions: Qrash and Phuncz

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
The impression I have is that it is/was too small of a niche for Seasonic to get interested in. They seem to have that big player problem of not doing interesting things because they can make a lot more money playing it safe with the established major market segments (ATX). They're also highly regarded/recommended, so they don't have to compete for scraps like a lot of other 'also ran' manufacturers. I'm sure they'll come over when the market proves to them it's worth it, though.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe that'll change soon. I mean if the story about Super Flower dedicating the entire engineering department to the SFX-L project is true, that's a incredibly significant change in the way OEMs view SFX/SFX-L compared to even 2 years ago.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's a lot of SFX-L PSUs... There's just missing a few players that will hopefully catch up with the rest of the pack.

I can't wait for next year's influx of SFX-L cases.