Fill the void: a Cerberus-X Workstation - EATX+7980XE+Double Rad Waterloop+Quadro+2 Titan V!!!

Arie

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2018
This is interesting! Could you explain me how to understand which are the best cores? How I can config Intel Turbo boost 3.0? I've tried to activate it, in BIOS and installing the software, for example in Cinebench, the boost doesn't start.
BTW, the Turbo Boost works even if the CPU is overclocked?

My motherboard (Asrock X299 ITX/ac) recently had a BIOS update that shows the core rankings (those are tested and baked into the CPU by Intel). The turbo boost 3.0 application in Windows also has the CPU cores listed in that order. You won't be using the stock boost clocks Intel decided for all 7980XEs, so you're just using the Windows application+driver to have demanding work scheduled to the fast cores automatically.
So Cinebench (single thread) will be scheduled to run on the best core automatically when you have the TBT 3.0 application installed.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
My motherboard (Asrock X299 ITX/ac) recently had a BIOS update that shows the core rankings (those are tested and baked into the CPU by Intel). The turbo boost 3.0 application in Windows also has the CPU cores listed in that order. You won't be using the stock boost clocks Intel decided for all 7980XEs, so you're just using the Windows application+driver to have demanding work scheduled to the fast cores automatically.
So Cinebench (single thread) will be scheduled to run on the best core automatically when you have the TBT 3.0 application installed.
So, If I've understood:

1. I check the core rankings on the Intel boost app
2. I overclock in the bios with different speed for the cores based on that list (the AVX offset is calculated from the frequency of the higher cores or it's relative for each core?
3. I go back on Intel Turbo Boos and I add my application list.
4. The app will use automatically the core with the higher clock in sequence

Is it right?

Arie

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2018
So, If I've understood:

1. I check the core rankings on the Intel boost app
2. I overclock in the bios with different speed for the cores based on that list (the AVX offset is calculated from the frequency of the higher cores or it's relative for each core?
3. I go back on Intel Turbo Boos and I add my application list.
4. The app will use automatically the core with the higher clock in sequence

Is it right?

For my motherboard, AVX offset is calculated from the highest frequency (which happens to be core #0 for me, so maybe that's what it actually bases it on). This means I have to set a crazy -8 AVX offset so all cores boost to 3.8Ghz on AVX workloads.
You don't have to add the application in the Turbo Boost tool from Intel, you can have it work on all demanding work automatically if you'd like.

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
For my motherboard, AVX offset is calculated from the highest frequency (which happens to be core #0 for me, so maybe that's what it actually bases it on). This means I have to set a crazy -8 AVX offset so all cores boost to 3.8Ghz on AVX workloads.
You don't have to add the application in the Turbo Boost tool from Intel, you can have it work on all demanding work automatically if you'd like.
Thank you man! I did what you've proposed, and for now is working so well!

Reactions: MarcParis

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
I never stop! This case is a drug! So, I want to swap the EK CPU block and the XRES with an Heatkiler IV and Tube D5!!.
I am waiting if one person near me is getting a perfect result shortening the 100 D5 tube by 40mm. But the mounting system is ready and is super stiff! Let's hope...

Reactions: KSliger

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Do you think a 120x15mm fan could be mounted on the far right of the side panel in front of the res/pump? I’m thinking that it’d be another way to take the hot air out of the case.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
Do you think a 120x15mm fan could be mounted on the far right of the side panel in front of the res/pump? I’m thinking that it’d be another way to take the hot air out of the case.
I can try this evening! BTW, I guess so.

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
I can try this evening! BTW, I guess so.
Thank you. I’m also thinking that there’s room to mount two more 15mm fans using the top bracket above the psu. Do you see any issues with this using an EATX board? My setup would have 7 fans total if everything fits.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
Depends! If you have an ATX PSU, you should be able to mount only one fan on top, maybe 92mm? But again, depends from where do you want to route your cables. I guess you should and will spend a lot of day and night planning and trying it! :cool:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
Another quick update!
Now I am out of tubing, so next week I will finish the loop. But, thanks to the mounting system of the HeatKiller Tube (still not decided if going with D5 or DDC, plus the cut customed 60mm glass tube) I can rationalize even more the tubing, and avoid the EKWB Vertical Uni Pump bracket that kept all the dust!

Reactions: Kooki and rosinbole

jaagdijot

Trash Compacter
Jan 29, 2018
Build looks great! I am drawing a lot of inspiration for my own build!

I am in the process of putting together an ASUS X299 Sage/Skylake X refresh workstation build in the Cerberus X.

I just got my case the other week and now I am waiting for the updated parts to get released.

It seems like it is going to be a tight fit and I am starting to get worried about temps after looking at your results. I am going to use a Corsair H115i 280 mm aio, Noctua iPPC fans in push/pull, and get a delid from Silicon Lottery (if they offer it). I guess we will see what happens!

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
Build looks great! I am drawing a lot of inspiration for my own build!

I am in the process of putting together an ASUS X299 Sage/Skylake X refresh workstation build in the Cerberus X.

I just got my case the other week and now I am waiting for the updated parts to get released.

It seems like it is going to be a tight fit and I am starting to get worried about temps after looking at your results. I am going to use a Corsair H115i 280 mm aio, Noctua iPPC fans in push/pull, and get a delid from Silicon Lottery (if they offer it). I guess we will see what happens!
Hey, thank you! And good luck for yours! But, why are you worried about my temp?? 84 Degrees max under Prime95 with all core at 4.3ghz is perfect! Especially for the small build! The GPUs are the one suffering, but next week I'll try in front a single 120mm RAD and a 140mm fan to push fresh air to the GPUs.
I will post updated temp of course!

jaagdijot

Trash Compacter
Jan 29, 2018
Hey, thank you! And good luck for yours! But, why are you worried about my temp?? 84 Degrees max under Prime95 with all core at 4.3ghz is perfect! Especially for the small build! The GPUs are the one suffering, but next week I'll try in front a single 120mm RAD and a 140mm fan to push fresh air to the GPUs.
I will post updated temp of course!

My comment was poorly worded! I am not worried about your temps, I actually think they’re solid and you might have more wiggle room! :)

I was trying to say that I am worried for my own build because I don’t think I will get anywhere near that under load using an AIO. Unless something has significantly changed with the binning in the refresh and I get something from Silicon Lottery that can do that with less volts.

I would love to do a custom loop, but I don’t think I will have the time or patience for that in such a small case. I just want to put it together and get to work. It’s no big deal I guess if I can’t achieve decent clocks, I’ll just wait a bit longer for tasks to complete.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
An update!
This is my final setup!
Using the top as inlet free up more space for the PSU cable! Look how much is cute the Tube of 60mm! :cool:
Now I have way fewer fittings and a more clean build!
On Monday will arrive the 120mm TX rad and the PETG tube to finish the build!
I will put a 140mm fan pushing air in front of the GPUs, and I will post the updated temp!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
@fabio
Another rig with Titan SLI o_O?. How much money do you have? Maybe you can be my investor LoL
And soon a DAN case with the Titan RTX! (Waiting for the REV1.1 of your case!)
Ahahaha, suddenly not enough to be an investor!
Everything is to speed up my work! From home and from my office!

Last edited: